Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Loving the latest pictures Peter. I think scenically and stock wise this is one of the best layouts out there. Shame it's a permanent one as I'm sure that many would love to see this doing the rounds!

• Like 1

Loving the latest pictures Peter. I think scenically and stock wise this is one of the best layouts out there. Shame it's a permanent one as I'm sure that many would love to see this doing the rounds!

All the way from Aus? yeah so would I.

Hi Peter,

I had a few pages to catch up on but very enjoyable to see the photos of the fleet. The 33 looks excellent especially compared to the photo. The faded paint effect is very well done. I like the 33's myself although I only remember seeing 33008 on a charter on the Ham goods years ago. I did travel behind a pair on the East Lancs gala a few years ago now and they were superb.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Cav,

Since arriving in Oz the layout has been permanent but it did do a show before I left in the mid 90s though it did look a bit different back then.

Cheers Peter,

All the way from Aus? yeah so would I.

Not much chance of the layout leaving the garage at the moment, it's too big now to do any shows. If we ever have to move it could be taken down but would need quite a bit of work to set it back up again.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

Yep defo. Well if I'm ever over in Aus I fully intend to drop Peter a line to pop round for a brew! Haha

You would be more than Welcome to drop in Cav. We are only an hour out of Melbourne and always have tea on the go and beer in the fridge.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Just havin a catch up bruv, some great shots appearing with your excellent stock!

had are EH reunion last night some of the guys asked after you including `Mustard`from the depot ..now works at Siemens Northam.  

Thanks Keith,

Yes remember Mustard hope all the guys are going ok and you had a god time.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I had a few pages to catch up on but very enjoyable to see the photos of the fleet. The 33 looks excellent especially compared to the photo. The faded paint effect is very well done. I like the 33's myself although I only remember seeing 33008 on a charter on the Ham goods years ago. I did travel behind a pair on the East Lancs gala a few years ago now and they were superb.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I used to see class 33's nearly everyday back in the late 80's so have a bit of a soft spot for them. They were great little loco's and well like by the drivers. 

I have a 33008 in green to do at some point I always thought it looked good in the green though they did change it a few times. It is good some are preserved I had 33111 for haulage when I was over a few years back.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

Hi Peter, like the pictures of the 25s at Llanbourne. Can I just add to the details, of the Blaenau branch. There were no MOD involvement on these trains. The explosive traffic was from Cookes at Penrhyndeudraeth who produced mainly for the mining industry and originally sent out their product via the Cambrian Coast. When the Barmouth Bridge problem in 1980 prevented loco hauled trains the work was transferred to Blaenau. About this time was also when the transition from old vacuum braked gunpowder vans to modern VAA vans took place, so either could be used with the 25s. In 1985 we put in a siding at Maentwrog Rd. for the traffic, that being a bit nearer the works and more remote from Blaenau for loading .

You could even have a 25 with gunpowder vans next to a nuclear flask as they were used as barriers after being replaced.

Merf.

• Like 1

Hi Peter, like the pictures of the 25s at Llanbourne. Can I just add to the details, of the Blaenau branch. There were no MOD involvement on these trains. The explosive traffic was from Cookes at Penrhyndeudraeth who produced mainly for the mining industry and originally sent out their product via the Cambrian Coast. When the Barmouth Bridge problem in 1980 prevented loco hauled trains the work was transferred to Blaenau. About this time was also when the transition from old vacuum braked gunpowder vans to modern VAA vans took place, so either could be used with the 25s. In 1985 we put in a siding at Maentwrog Rd. for the traffic, that being a bit nearer the works and more remote from Blaenau for loading .

You could even have a 25 with gunpowder vans next to a nuclear flask as they were used as barriers after being replaced.

Merf.

Hi Merf,

Thanks for the info, it's funny I don't know where I got the idea that the Maentwrog Rd traffic was for the MOD. I might have to have a look at my timetable as I normally have the VAA arrive in the Speedlink service and go back via an MOD service which I run to Valley for the RAF base. I know this didn't really happen but I thought this service could replace the Amlwch chemical train which I don't have due to lack of suitable wagons.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter,

really liking your layout and photos, first rate modelling and realism, the moreso as you say you don't have an airbrush (I am in the same boat)! And the track weathering is superb, really disguises the fact its code 100.

My late friend Jack Warren ran a detailing and repainting service many years ago and used a spare car wheel to power his airbrush via a moisture trap, just pumped it up to the required pressure and off you go!

Living in North Wales I remember the mid 80s well, it was an interesting period and I have stacks of photos. The lunchtime Holyhead ex Euston service sometimes featured an ex Crewe works loco piloting the train loco "on test", I recall seeing at least one Scotrail liveried 47/7 and even a 56 on this train. Crewe works also had a rake of filthy Mk.1 coaches for the same purpose with plated over windows, which was a regular sight.

Your RMB looks really good too with the mods you've carried out, I don't recall seeing many "down the coast" as the Euston trains generally had a RBR if I remember correctly (with nasty orange plastic seats!).

I am looking forward reading further instalments!

Regards,

Martyn.

Hi Peter,

really liking your layout and photos, first rate modelling and realism, the moreso as you say you don't have an airbrush (I am in the same boat)! And the track weathering is superb, really disguises the fact its code 100.

My late friend Jack Warren ran a detailing and repainting service many years ago and used a spare car wheel to power his airbrush via a moisture trap, just pumped it up to the required pressure and off you go!

Living in North Wales I remember the mid 80s well, it was an interesting period and I have stacks of photos. The lunchtime Holyhead ex Euston service sometimes featured an ex Crewe works loco piloting the train loco "on test", I recall seeing at least one Scotrail liveried 47/7 and even a 56 on this train. Crewe works also had a rake of filthy Mk.1 coaches for the same purpose with plated over windows, which was a regular sight.

Your RMB looks really good too with the mods you've carried out, I don't recall seeing many "down the coast" as the Euston trains generally had a RBR if I remember correctly (with nasty orange plastic seats!).

I am looking forward reading further instalments!

Regards,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Glad you like the layout, I have been looking at getting an airbrush I have the compressor water trap and air line it's just a case of sorting it all out and having a go.

Feel free to post up your pics it's always good for some inspiration. I actually have a Bachmann class 47/7 in Scotrail livery to do at some point. I also have a class 37/6 that gets some use piloting a class 33 on a Cardiff train.

I normally run RBR's but thought the RMB would make a nice change it's a great model. I am looking at getting a MK3 SO to put in the Euston train as they seem to have turned up now and then.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Loving your fleet updates and the latest pictures Peter. You can never have enough Rats in my opinion...! ;-) Jim

Thanks Jim,

I do like the old class 25s. I still have one more to do. I am actually selling a few too. I had a spare body and realised I have enough other bits to make up a complete loco.

Cheers Peter.

Great update and pictures as always

David

Thanks David,

Class 31's next up on the fleet list. Just need to find time to do post up the pics.

Cheers Peter.