Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter

Sorry to hear you've lost your modelling mo-jo a bit. Hope you can refind the interest soon, plenty to keep you going though from the sounds of it! As ever, I look forward to following the progress on Llanbourne.

Rich

Morning Peter, Interest is difficult to keep sometimes, that's why I now have a couple of different projects on the go, I find that helps, and with the O Gauge 08 coming out soon and the timber already bought, it will give me something else to think about.

I hope you get started again soon, as were all looking forward to more pics.

Morning Peter, Interest is difficult to keep sometimes, that's why I now have a couple of different projects on the go, I find that helps, and with the O Gauge 08 coming out soon and the timber already bought, it will give me something else to think about.

I hope you get started again soon, as were all looking forward to more pics.

Thanks Andy,

I have a few things on the go at the moment not whole layouts like you though. lol  I actually got an hour out there tonight though it was a bit cold.

I do need to take some pics of the class 47 fleet might get on with that tomorrow.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Aaah the buildings thing. That is what I'm suffering with at the moment having gone fro an almost building free layout to a fairly building heavy layout, But still like me you are able to run trains to lower the stress

Hi Alan,

I noticed you have been doing a few buildings recently. The harbour area is looking really good. I just need to get started i think once I start it should get me fired up to keep going I just keep finding other things to do at the moment. 

It is good I can run a few trains though. I had a mate over a few weeks back and had a good running session.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear the Mojo has dwindled a bit. I know where you're coming from, and it is difficult to get back into it sometimes (well it was for me).

Life gets in the way of modelling sometimes.

As a side comment, yes you do need to do the 47 fleet, it's the one I've been waiting for, and I know I'm not going to be disapointed either!!!!!

All the very best

Jinty ;)

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear the Mojo has dwindled a bit. I know where you're coming from, and it is difficult to get back into it sometimes (well it was for me).

Life gets in the way of modelling sometimes.

As a side comment, yes you do need to do the 47 fleet, it's the one I've been waiting for, and I know I'm not going to be disapointed either!!!!!

All the very best

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Thanks mate, we were away for a few days the other week then had a weekend at a freinds house then I was sick for a few days so it's been a busy time. Anyway I have do a few things and took some pics tonight of my class 47 fleet. 

Cheers Peter.

So a few pics of what I have been doing. Two Eckon signal kits, one is a 3 aspect with route indicator and one a 3 aspect with shunt signal to replace the 2 aspect one near the station. Some time ago someone on here told me they should be 3 aspect rather than 2. If anyone has any idea how to wire a  3 aspect can you let me know.

Another project thats starting to take shape is 47636 the body is a flush fronted 535 model which I have cut and filled new headcodes into.

I also have two new arrivals in the form of  MK3 Transit vans though both have are H reg which makes them 1990? but I am sure the MK3s came out mid 80s. I hope the Royal 

Mail van isn't too modern in that Livery not sure when that first appeared.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-38428500-1464178301_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-51112100-1464178332_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-78002500-1464178363_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-37603100-1464178417_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-65401700-1464178463_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Peter,

I used some 3-Aspect colour light signals on Wrexbury and I purchased some special DPDT switches off Adrian at Railroom Electronics with a special wiring diagram for 3-aspect.

I will try and dig it out, failing that I'll have a trawl back through the Wrexbury thread as I believe I posted it on there.

Nice 47 too..... Still got about 7 of my 47's left, I may be tempted into a depot layout at some point in the future, you never know.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter, looking good! Re: the Erkon signals, I'm sure I've read a way of wiring three aspect through DPDT switches. Centre off gives you red, then down for yellow or up for green (or vice-versa) I'll see if I can dig the wiring diagram out. It might need a small relay in the circuit to default to red when no other power is present, but can't quite remember.

Rich

Peter, the humble Mk3 Transit appeared in January 1986, so earliest examples would have been on a "C" plate. I don't, however, know if the Royal Mail were instant users of it, so the earliest RM example might be on a slightly later plate.

The following might be useful re: 3-aspect signals.

http://www.thehobbyshed.co.uk/3-aspect-signal

Pete.

Hi Peter,

This is what I will be using on Acton Green for 4 aspect signals (for 3 aspect you can ignore the circuit branch for "A2").

I will be using 2 way "On-On" switches so to avoid having to jump through Amber to go from Green to Red as a rotary might do, but it might not be everyones cup of tea as you need extra switch(es) on your panel.

I put a description up on my layout thread of how it works if it helps.

This also includes LED indicators on the panel to mirror the signal setting, but again these can be ignored if not required.

Thanks,

Stu.

post-5142-0-01377400-1464202668_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

I used some 3-Aspect colour light signals on Wrexbury and I purchased some special DPDT switches off Adrian at Railroom Electronics with a special wiring diagram for 3-aspect.

I will try and dig it out, failing that I'll have a trawl back through the Wrexbury thread as I believe I posted it on there.

Nice 47 too..... Still got about 7 of my 47's left, I may be tempted into a depot layout at some point in the future, you never know.

Jinty ;)

Ha ha, couldn't bring yourself to sell all your oo then. You did have some nice class 47s from memory.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, looking good! Re: the Erkon signals, I'm sure I've read a way of wiring three aspect through DPDT switches. Centre off gives you red, then down for yellow or up for green (or vice-versa) I'll see if I can dig the wiring diagram out. It might need a small relay in the circuit to default to red when no other power is present, but can't quite remember.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

Let me know how you go but I am liking the rotary switch idea if I ca link the two signals together.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, the humble Mk3 Transit appeared in January 1986, so earliest examples would have been on a "C" plate. I don't, however, know if the Royal Mail were instant users of it, so the earliest RM example might be on a slightly later plate.

The following might be useful re: 3-aspect signals.

http://www.thehobbyshed.co.uk/3-aspect-signal

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the gen on the Transit I will at some point change the reg. C or D reg fits my time period I will keep then both fairly clean.

Thanks also for the link I hadn't thought about linking the two signals together.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter,

This is what I will be using on Acton Green for 4 aspect signals (for 3 aspect you can ignore the circuit branch for "A2").

I will be using 2 way "On-On" switches so to avoid having to jump through Amber to go from Green to Red as a rotary might do, but it might not be everyones cup of tea as you need extra switch(es) on your panel.

I put a description up on my layout thread of how it works if it helps.

This also includes LED indicators on the panel to mirror the signal setting, but again these can be ignored if not required.

Thanks,

Stu.

attachicon.gifSignal_CCT.jpg

Thanks Stu,

Hadn't thought about missing the Amber might have to give that some thought, wiring isn't my strong point so I will try and keep it simple but you diagram is quite useful.

Cheers Peter.

Some interesting pics and projects there, Peter. I've just bought a couple of Large Logo Bachmann 47s for conversion to Scottish locos. The flush front/headcode combinations are a bit of a minefield sometimes! Looking forward to watching your project develop.

I've also bought a couple of Mk 3 Transits too. The Mk 3s were introduced in '86 I believe, so good for late 80s layouts. I'm not sure about the Royal Mail livery, but I'm guessing the BR livery is good for that period. I'd be interested to know when the Royal Mail livery was introduced, as it does look smart.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Another way to control multi-aspect signals is the "cheat" I used on Hillside Depot many years ago to avoid a rotary switch. I used an on-on switch, which controlled Stop and Clear indications. The wire from the clear side was then routed via a random point motor which had a PL13 switch (also an on-on) attached and would switch the clear supply to show yellow or green at the signal. I gave some thought to which the most likely clear aspect was for each signal, and which way the point was most likely to be left so that gave the majority setting. It was possible to set the point to give the aspect the operator wanted, but in reality green or yellow appeared at "random".

On reflection, from a wiring point of view a rotary switch might have been easier, but the ability to clear the signal and not be too sure whether it would be yellow or green had a certain "play value".

As for the Transits, Ford changed the model just as the bus industry was being de-regulated (26th October 1986) and privatised and the National Bus Company bought all the remaining production capacity for the old model which became "bread-van" minibuses, largely on C-plates. Whatever we might think of the minibus revolution the old style Transit was a very robust vehicle, surprising even Ford in its longevity. So much so that they bought back one of the Devon General examples  for their own museum!  

• Like 2

Need a LOVE IT / THEM button, as one UP from just plain old Like as that doesn't do the pics above justice.

Thanks for some great images Peter.

I might get my Blue Fleet out later and do something with them on North Road.

Cheers. A.

• Like 1

The first picture just does it for me with 106 and a Depressed Vee, just a typical 47.

The other one is the Stratford loco, simply stunning.

Andrew is quite right, we do need a better button than just 'LIKE'.

I have retained in all, 7 x 47's, 3 x 37's and a 31, and I've just purchased a loft ladder!!!!!

So you never know...............................

Jinty ;)

• Like 2