Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Peter, I think I finally have my preferred approach for creating my Hybrid Hornby Lima 31s now!. Your models of 25059 and 25109 look excellent, I love a Rat with ploughs.

Hi Rob, I have another lima/Hornby class 31 to do myself as I picked up a cheap Hornby 31 a few weeks ago, I am really happy with my 31319 so thought why not.

25059 is actually a hybrid too. It's a Hornby body and chassis running with Bachmann chassis block bogies

Etc.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 1

Hi Rob, I have another lima/Hornby class 31 to do myself as I picked up a cheap Hornby 31 a few weeks ago, I am really happy with my 31319 so thought why not.

25059 is actually a hybrid too. It's a Hornby body and chassis running with Bachmann chassis block bogies

Etc.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, I will probably do another 31 at some point, they do scrub up well. The Hornby/Bachmann 25 hybrid is a good route for the 25/1, it has come out really well in the photos. Rob

• Like 1

After half an hour of looking I have given up and will ask here. I am trying to fit a cheap decoder to the trailer car on my class 108. What I cant work out is which way round to plug in the decoder ie which way does the the orange wire go.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

After half an hour of looking I have given up and will ask here. I am trying to fit a cheap decoder to the trailer car on my class 108. What I cant work out is which way round to plug in the decoder ie which way does the the orange wire go.

Cheers Peter.

Peter 

I always put red & black to the track...... (To the pick ups)

Orange & grey the other way..... (To the motor)

Hope this helps

Jim

Peter 

I always put red & black to the track...... (To the pick ups)

Orange & grey the other way..... (To the motor)

Hope this helps

Jim

Thanks Jim, I probably didn't explain my self well but I need to know which way round the 8 pin decoder plugs in to the socket 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jim, I probably didn't explain my self well but I need to know which way round the 8 pin decoder plugs in to the socket 

Cheers Peter.

Peter, there should be some sort of mark on both the plug and decoder for No 1 pin. If not, try it both ways. It shouldn't come to any harm but some stuff won't work if it's the wrong way round.

Yes, wot 'e sed! You won't break anything if it is plugged in the wrong way, the lights just won't work. If ti is a trailer, then that's all the decoder is being asked to work anyway. 

To get an address into the decoder, you may have to plug it into the motorised car first, set it, then plug it into the trailer.

Thanks John & Jeff, I will check for a mark, but now I know I cant stuff it up too bad I will just see how I go. 

I am putting a sound chip in the power car, which I pick up cheap. I thought If I put both the power car and trailer on the program track and do the address that way It should work.

Thanks again Cheers Peter.

Thanks John & Jeff, I will check for a mark, but now I know I cant stuff it up too bad I will just see how I go. 

I am putting a sound chip in the power car, which I pick up cheap. I thought If I put both the power car and trailer on the program track and do the address that way It should work.

Thanks again Cheers Peter.

Putting both on the track sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. If it does, then all is well and good. If it doesn't, then do what I suggested earlier, putting the trailer decoder in the power car  (or any other suitable item with a motor) temporarily.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a bit of a running session the other day and the 108 runs like a dog. It's fine with the old decoder so it not the pick ups. The SWD paperwork mentioned changing CVs  2-6 and 52-55. to improve things any info on on CVs and what numbers to change them too would be great. 

Thanks Peter.

Hi Peter,

Great videos and pictures.

I particularly like the one with the DAF articulated unit, I seem to remember a haulage company around these parts who used that two tome blue livery with red mud guards, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. It will come to me, probably at the most inopportune time!!!

As for the CV's in the DMU, is it an ESU V4 decoder fitted?

If so then there is an 'Autotune' feature built into all V4's, I can't remember the sequence as I'm now more of a Zimo man, but it's transformed the running of some of mine in the past.

Hope I'm not teaching Grandma to suck eggs?

Regards

Jinty ;)

Looking good as always Peter.  Sorry I don't think I can help with CVs.  Those get jobs in my language! 

Thanks Rick. Must admit this DCC stuff does my head in a bit from time to time.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Re the coaching stock. It's how I remember most coaching stock rakes back in the mid 80s, I always likes the trans Pennine livery always wondered what a Peak would have looked like in that livery.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I particularly like the one with the DAF articulated unit, I seem to remember a haulage company around these parts who used that two tome blue livery with red mud guards, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. It will come to me, probably at the most inopportune time!!!

If so then there is an 'Autotune' feature built into all V4's, I can't remember the sequence as I'm now more of a Zimo man, but it's transformed the running of some of mine in the past.

Regards

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty, I painted the DAF in a colour scheme I remember from down my way. A local Southampton based mob used to haul steel out of Southampton Down yard so I used to see them most days. Good to know its ok for a North Wales company too. 

The decoder is a V4 and I didn't know about Autotune, I did reset it to factory by changing CV8 to 8 which did improve it a bit.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks Jinty, I painted the DAF in a colour scheme I remember from down my way. A local Southampton based mob used to haul steel out of Southampton Down yard so I used to see them most days. Good to know its ok for a North Wales company too. 

The decoder is a V4 and I didn't know about Autotune, I did reset it to factory by changing CV8 to 8 which did improve it a bit.

Cheers Peter. 

Ok I've found the info.

select a clear piece of track about 3' - 4' long, make sure the loco is set in the forward direction as once the Autotune is engaged it will shoot off down the track for a few of feet at full speed!!!

Put loco on programming track.

Set CV 54 to 0

Put the loco back onto the main clear length of track

Press F1

The loco will shoot off rather fast for a few feet then come to rest, the sound will be on, press F1 to turn it off again.

Then try the locomotive to see if it has improved in its running characteristics.

Hope that helps

Regards

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman

Ok I've found the info.

select a clear piece of track about 3' - 4' long, make sure the loco is set in the forward direction as once the Autotune is engaged it will shoot off down the track for a few of feet at full speed!!!

Put loco on programming track.

Set CV 54 to 0

Put the loco back onto the main clear length of track

Press F1

The loco will shoot off rather fast for a few feet then come to rest, the sound will be on, press F1 to turn it off again.

Then try the locomotive to see if it has improved in its running characteristics.

Hope that helps

Regards

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Thanks for the help, I did as you suggested and the 108 is now running a lot better although a bit slower on take off.  I have run the unit in and out of the station a few times now and to be honest I am not sure I like the sound. I might just get a re blow to something less annoying like a class 25. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Regards

Jinty ;)

Was it Iauan Williams at Garndolbenmaen ?

Hi Peter,

Sorry I’ve not been around much on here of late I’ve just enjoyed seeing the updates from August onwards. Superb photos of some wonderful models. I like the large logo grey 47 and seeing your Mk1’s with NSE branding are familiar as I used some Railtec transfers to do a couple myself. I remember a scratch set working at Grange late 80’s/90 with a blue 37 and 3 Mk1’s.

Keep the updates coming as it’s always good to see what’s appearing next on your layout.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1