Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Guys, I need some help here before I rip out this TTS decoder and bin it. So class 31 fitted the same as my last one, loco runs about 1 foot then stops and starts again the sounds stays on. I did try and turn it down a bit and have played with cv29 but tonight did factory reset with CV8 so basically that's me done. Have to say I am over it playing with CVs of an evening it isn't my idea of fun. 

Any help would be great.  another option is I just send it back and refit and normal decoder.

Cheers Peter.

1 hour ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Guys, I need some help here before I rip out this TTS decoder and bin it. So class 31 fitted the same as my last one, loco runs about 1 foot then stops and starts again the sounds stays on. I did try and turn it down a bit and have played with cv29 but tonight did factory reset with CV8 so basically that's me done. Have to say I am over it playing with CVs of an evening it isn't my idea of fun. 

Any help would be great.  another option is I just send it back and refit and normal decoder.

Cheers Peter.

I think you will find Hornby will sort it without a problem, it's just the postage cost for you though Peter.

A mate had similar with the Yellow 37 they did a couple of years back and they replaced it FOC.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2019 at 23:46, calvin Streeting said:

that sounds like the power fails for a sec, and thus reboots i presume thats on clean track with no plastic frogs etc.. 

Thanks Calvin, Loco ran fine with old decoder, the wheels and track are clean. It actually runs along at speed step 4 with no problem but anything over 5 and it's stop start. 

Cheers Peter.

On 01/04/2019 at 23:54, Andrew P said:

I think you will find Hornby will sort it without a problem, it's just the postage cost for you though Peter.

A mate had similar with the Yellow 37 they did a couple of years back and they replaced it FOC.

Thanks Andy, I might contact Hattons first then see what Hornby says. 

Cheers Peter.

On 02/04/2019 at 02:57, d winpenny said:

I had a similar problem with a class 60 on I returned it to the shop I bought it from and decided to stick with the full fat sound decoders from now on but I only have a small fleets

david

Thanks David,  I have two other TTS decoders and they seem to work fine, though not as good as the full fat sounds I think they are pretty good value for money.

Cheers Peter.

On 01/04/2019 at 12:13, P.C.M said:

Cheers Peter.

Another idea Peter is an E-Mail to Hornby, they have just given me new codes to change some CV's on a Heljan 47 with a TTS Chip, it's now sweet.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2019 at 00:28, Andrew P said:

Another idea Peter is an E-Mail to Hornby, they have just given me new codes to change some CV's on a Heljan 47 with a TTS Chip, it's now sweet.

Thanks Andy, I contacted Hattons and I am sending it back. Job done.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Hi Peter. I had some tts chips to install for a customer....issues with everyone of them. I don't recommend or install them after that experience. Cheap yes, but seemingly poorly designed and inherently unreliable.

Hi Lee, It does seem they have their problems. I am not planning on buying anymore I think the class 31 is pretty good sound for what it is so just wanted another one. The rest of my sound loco's are nearly all Biffo's. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've fitted 7 TTS decoders so far to 3 x Class 37, 2 x 66, 1 x 47 & 1 x 60. apart from the Hornby class 60, all the others have been in Bachmann loco's. 

The Bachmann ones have had to have some speed CV's altered to ensure smooth running. Turn off DC running as well if you don't need it.

The physical fitting in the loco, some are a tight fit or need a different speaker, can be challenging, but the sounds are fine for me. 

Apart from that, no problems with any of them.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I just this week decided to try a TTS in on of my N gauge class 37s. I am more than happy with the results. Ok the options are not leggoman biffo standard but it sounds perfectly fine, add so much more depth to the scene and at less than half the cost of the zimo/loksound chips its a no brainer for me. The simple fact is, if there wasn't the TTS option then I wouldn't consider sound at all as the price is impossible for me to justify. The TTS chips are just under the top bar to get them on my radar.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andy, John, Neil and Jeff.

To be honest I haven't done too much recently and haven't been on Rmweb as much since it changed. 

Good to see you have been busy building more layouts Andy.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Condolences on the loss of your friend Peter.

Regarding the catch, or rather trap point, if the platform is in use as such, then yes it should have one ideally, or possibly two, one on each road coming into the Y point; however a prototypical arrangement could be this:

20190626_123300.jpg.80b80592dd37c9e1ec1bd1614d550b8e.jpg

As existed at Holywell Town (LNWR). The model one is non working obviously, and in your example should be orientated to derail trains away from the line coming into the platform.

If feeling very brave, a working version could be produced using half a double slip and half a Y point....would be a rather expensive option though I feel!

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 2