Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

I like what you have done there Martyn. I was going to do a non working one. I have done one on my centre road. So a short one at the toe of the point would look ok.  Putting one on each siding would mean alot more point rodding so one at the toe will do me. Thanks for the help. I will have a better look at your new layout. 

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, P.C.M said:

I like what you have done there Martyn. I was going to do a non working one. I have done one on my centre road. So a short one at the toe of the point would look ok.  Putting one on each siding would mean alot more point rodding so one at the toe will do me. Thanks for the help. I will have a better look at your new layout. 

Cheers Peter.

Unfortunately Peter there does not appear to be room for a trap at the toe of those points, because a derailed vehicle has no room to go clear of the passenger line. To do it correctly you would need to remove the point and place it further back or provide a trap to each of the sidings. No extra point rodding needed (except length) as they would still be off the same lever.

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, Merfyn Jones said:

Unfortunately Peter there does not appear to be room for a trap at the toe of those points, because a derailed vehicle has no room to go clear of the passenger line. To do it correctly you would need to remove the point and place it further back or provide a trap to each of the sidings. No extra point rodding needed (except length) as they would still be off the same lever.

Hi Merf, Long time no speak. Hope you are well. I agree, i just wont look right so tonight I started to do as you and Mertyn suggested  each siding will now have a trap point. 

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,

Having finally made some progress on my own layout I am finally able to enjoy looking at Llanbourne without being overwhelmed with envy! I’ve really enjoyed looking at the peaks on the trans-pennine services. I recall being in my teens in the 80’s and being allowed to get a quick Dewsbury to Huddersfield return trip in. I was certain of getting a peak each way, but ended up with a 47 and a 31/4 (the first one I ever saw in Mainline livery). 

You definitely need a trap point from the stabling sidings; I would be tempted to move the point back a few centimetres to allow just a single trap, rather than having one for each siding.

We also need to have words about the location of the platform starter....

Great work as ever!

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 61656 said:

Hi Pete,

Having finally made some progress on my own layout I am finally able to enjoy looking at Llanbourne without being overwhelmed with envy! I’ve really enjoyed looking at the peaks on the trans-pennine services. I recall being in my teens in the 80’s and being allowed to get a quick Dewsbury to Huddersfield return trip in. I was certain of getting a peak each way, but ended up with a 47 and a 31/4 (the first one I ever saw in Mainline livery). 

You definitely need a trap point from the stabling sidings; I would be tempted to move the point back a few centimetres to allow just a single trap, rather than having one for each siding.

We also need to have words about the location of the platform starter....

Great work as ever!

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think now you are getting the track down things should start coming together quite quickly. Work on Llanbourne has been very slow recently but I have been doing a few things. The loco shed is taking ages. I need to post a pic of the stabling point sidings. I did start to put two trap points in but it looked wrong so I did move the point up and put one in there. Re the platform starter. is that it's to far forwards of the point or that the base in on the platform rather than at ground level with boards forming the base at platform level?

Cheers Peter.

2 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Peter,

I've been reading back about your class 26. Can I ask how you did the fibreglass roof panel effects? I'm currently working on a model of 26034 in Railfreight livery.

Cheers,

Wayne

Hi Wayne, I painted the roof panel the lighter grey then masked it with thin strips of tape then added the darker grey. Removed the masking tape give it a bit of a light sand so it doesn't look too neat then weather. It's not spot on but looks ok.

Cheers Peter.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Andy,

I think now you are getting the track down things should start coming together quite quickly. Work on Llanbourne has been very slow recently but I have been doing a few things. The loco shed is taking ages. I need to post a pic of the stabling point sidings. I did start to put two trap points in but it looked wrong so I did move the point up and put one in there. Re the platform starter. is that it's to far forwards of the point or that the base in on the platform rather than at ground level with boards forming the base at platform level?

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

It’s the longitudinal dimension that’s important. Ideally it needs to be about 2m back from the rail joint at the toe of the points. As for the base on the platform, modern standards on positioning of the red aspect are incredibly precise, but in semaphore days it was assumed that drivers’ route knowledge would allow them to place signals anywhere. The Great Western was infamous for hiding signal arms all over the place - but longitudinally always correct! 

I’m not too sure about LNWR practice, but the shunt signals should probably be in the same place as the main arm, possibly on the same post. I would expect them to be on the same side of the track as each other, to make it clear that they both apply to the same line.

Hopefully this is useful rather than mindless rivet counting!

Andy

5 minutes ago, 61656 said:

Peter,

It’s the longitudinal dimension that’s important. Ideally it needs to be about 2m back from the rail joint at the toe of the points. As for the base on the platform, modern standards on positioning of the red aspect are incredibly precise, but in semaphore days it was assumed that drivers’ route knowledge would allow them to place signals anywhere. The Great Western was infamous for hiding signal arms all over the place - but longitudinally always correct! 

I’m not too sure about LNWR practice, but the shunt signals should probably be in the same place as the main arm, possibly on the same post. I would expect them to be on the same side of the track as each other, to make it clear that they both apply to the same line.

Hopefully this is useful rather than mindless rivet counting!

Andy

Better still move the signal to the left with the ground signals.  Not sure why I placed it on the platform really. though back before I added a few inches to the front of the layout it would have been right on the edge of the layout.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Nick, I only did a single rail trap point which i hope is ok. Here is a pic which shows how it looks as of tonight, when I moved the signal from the platform to track level.

Cheers Peter.

20190712_205254.jpg

20190712_214244.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Thanks Nick, I only did a single rail trap point which i hope is ok. Here is a pic which shows how it looks as of tonight, when I moved the signal from the platform to track level.

Cheers Peter.

20190712_205254.jpg

20190712_214244.jpg

That looks good Peter. I think you just need to add a disc for leaving the sidings, before the new trap point.

2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That looks good Peter. I think you just need to add a disc for leaving the sidings, before the new trap point.

Thanks John, There is a ground signal top centre of the pic. My thinking is that there one signal for the two sidings being as the point above the trap point is a hand point, if you see my point. lol 

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, P.C.M said:

Thanks John, There is a ground signal top centre of the pic. My thinking is that there one signal for the two sidings being as the point above the trap point is a hand point, if you see my point. lol 

Cheers Peter.

Ah yes, I missed that.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Cheers Peter.

20190712_205254.jpg

20190712_214244.jpg

Looks great Pete - you didn’t hang about did you?!

I think there would have been just one disc applying to the sidings, as the point in there would be a hand point. 

Doing that work also highlights the nice curve you’ve got on the platform, the weeds between the flags and the change in surfaces. Just fantastic. 

18 hours ago, 61656 said:

Looks great Pete - you didn’t hang about did you?!

I think there would have been just one disc applying to the sidings, as the point in there would be a hand point. 

Doing that work also highlights the nice curve you’ve got on the platform, the weeds between the flags and the change in surfaces. Just fantastic. 

Thanks Andy, some things can take years believe me. The only reason this is happening is because I had to replace a the point so thought while I was at it I would add the trap point, moving the signal is your failt. lol but I had the ballast and glue out so thought do it.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Thanks Andy, some things can take years believe me. The only reason this is happening is because I had to replace a the point so thought while I was at it I would add the trap point, moving the signal is your failt. lol but I had the ballast and glue out so thought do it.

Cheers Peter.

Of course a proper signal engineer would have hidden the signal behind a bridge and added a banner repeater...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter, hope all is well. I haven't been on here for a couple of years. Too many distractions!

Just been catching up with your layout and it still looks superb. 

That image of 37428 gave me a flashback to when I was 14 years old stood on Shrewsbury Station! The heady days of the Cambrian Coast Express... brilliant times...

Cheers

Alex

17 hours ago, 0O00 said:

Hi Peter, hope all is well. I haven't been on here for a couple of years. Too many distractions!

Just been catching up with your layout and it still looks superb. 

That image of 37428 gave me a flashback to when I was 14 years old stood on Shrewsbury Station! The heady days of the Cambrian Coast Express... brilliant times...

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex, I has been a while hasn't it. Hope you are well. Still plodding along with the layout, and a few items of stock have appeared in the last few years. Still plenty to do. 

Cheers Peter.

I have been replacing the old points in plat4 and the freight loop. I had to move the kadee  uncoupler but it's all wired up and running again.

Now I am thinking of having the points worked by clamplock point motors but still having the older disc style ground signals.

Any thoughts. Oh and I put in a banner repeater. A friend made for has layout but has given it to me.

Cheers Peter.

20190728_141100.jpg

20190728_193657.jpg

20190724_213459.jpg

20190728_141144.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, P.C.M said:

I have been replacing the old points in plat4 and the freight loop. I had to move the kadee  uncoupler but it's all wired up and running again.

Now I am thinking of having the points worked by clamplock point motors but still having the older disc style ground signals.

Any thoughts. Oh and I put in a banner repeater. A friend made for has layout but has given it to me.

Cheers Peter.

20190728_141100.jpg

20190728_193657.jpg

20190724_213459.jpg

20190728_141144.jpg

Very nice Peter. We discussed the banner repeater a few months back. Do you think that if I asked him nicely he'd make me one too?....

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Very nice Peter. We discussed the banner repeater a few months back. Do you think that if I asked him nicely he'd make me one too?....

It's worth asking he is a nice bloke.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Beckett said:

The banner repeater looks great. I might get your friend to make me one as well  ^_^

Peter 

PS now back home

Ha ha it's not working yet but it does look great. Only taken me six months to plonk it on the layout.

You might need to talk to John. He's pretty keen on getting a banner repeater built for his layout. 

Will text you during the week.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1