Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

On 28/07/2019 at 11:27, P.C.M said:

I have been replacing the old points in plat4 and the freight loop. I had to move the kadee  uncoupler but it's all wired up and running again.

Now I am thinking of having the points worked by clamplock point motors but still having the older disc style ground signals.

Any thoughts. Oh and I put in a banner repeater. A friend made for has layout but has given it to me.

Cheers Peter.

20190728_141100.jpg

20190728_193657.jpg

20190724_213459.jpg

20190728_141144.jpg

Very nice work Peter! The banner repeater is a very nice touch! 

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 29/07/2019 at 12:29, saxokid said:

More lovely modelling work there Peter...

cheers neil..

Thanks Neil,  Still plenty to do, bit cold out there tonight though.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/07/2019 at 20:25, Southwich said:

Very nice work Peter! The banner repeater is a very nice touch! 

Kind regards,

Will

Thanks Will, I really need to get my signals working but most would have to be rebuilt, so it will be a while off yet. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

The crossover in the station is now finished and painted

20190901_212823.jpg

I don’t think I had noticed your clamp lock microswitch covers before.  Nice little attention to detail.

Paul.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I don’t think I had noticed your clamp lock microswitch covers before.  Nice little attention to detail.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, They are new. made from plasticard. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

It's been good to catch up on Llanbourne recently.  It's looking as good as always.  I guess you will be preparing for long hot days in the shed as we batten the hatches and light the fires.  Very slow progress here on Waddlemarsh as I have other irons in the fire needing my time.  Magazine articles and a book commissioned so I have to give those my attention as well as sort thousands of photos.  

All the best.  

Rick

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Hi Peter

It's been good to catch up on Llanbourne recently.  It's looking as good as always.  I guess you will be preparing for long hot days in the shed as we batten the hatches and light the fires.  Very slow progress here on Waddlemarsh as I have other irons in the fire needing my time.  Magazine articles and a book commissioned so I have to give those my attention as well as sort thousands of photos.  

All the best.  

Rick

Thanks Rick, still working on the loco shed. I am onto the roof now the whole project has taken ages but I am getting there. 

The days are  getting longer and we had a few warmer days last week but its been cold and wet this weekend. Good luck with the artilce and book. The ones my mate did certainly took a bit of time sorting photo's captions. 

Cheers Peter.

Looking for advise on decoders. I have used the 21 pin Lenz decoders recently but wondered what the 21 pin Hattons ones are like, as they are cheaper. I thought the 8 pin ones from a while back where pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Looking for advise on decoders. I have used the 21 pin Lenz decoders recently but wondered what the 21 pin Hattons ones are like, as they are cheaper. I thought the 8 pin ones from a while back where pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

SRMan of this parish is your best contact.

Hi Peter.

I have tried the Hatton's 21-pin decoders, and they aren't too bad for the price. The Lenz 21-pin decoders only come as 'Silver' or 'Gold', not as budget level 'Standard' ones like the 8-pin versions, so do cost a lot more. While the Lenz decoders are very good (better than the Hatton's ones), there are some good budget decoders now available from Zimo, and I much prefer those to the Hatton's decoders.

Hatton's: 6-function 1.1Amp direct plug decoder with back EMF retails at £16.50

Zimo MX638:  6-function 1.2A continuous / 2.5A peak with back EMF retails at £20

I prefer the Zimo as giving smoother control more consistently. The Hatton's ones seem to work well in some installations and not so well in others, from my own experience.

I have blown up a few Hatton;s 8-pin decoders; they don't seem as robust as more expensive types, but it may also be because I use cheaper decoders for testing potentially dodgy installations! :D

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SRman said:

Hi Peter.

I have tried the Hatton's 21-pin decoders, and they aren't too bad for the price. The Lenz 21-pin decoders only come as 'Silver' or 'Gold', not as budget level 'Standard' ones like the 8-pin versions, so do cost a lot more. While the Lenz decoders are very good (better than the Hatton's ones), there are some good budget decoders now available from Zimo, and I much prefer those to the Hatton's decoders.

Zimo MX638:  6-function 1.2A continuous / 2.5A peak with back EMF retails at £20

I prefer the Zimo as giving smoother control more consistently. The Hatton's ones seem to work well in some installations and not so well in others, from my own experience.

I have blown up a few Hatton;s 8-pin decoders; they don't seem as robust as more expensive types, but it may also be because I use cheaper decoders for testing potentially dodgy installations! :D

Speak of the Devil!

• Funny 1

I use the Gaugemaster DCC27 in everything that is not Sound fitted. They are an 8/21 Pin so will fit into every OO Gauge Loco brand, and I find, especially in Bachmann Locos that they run quieter, and very sweet. 

Note = No connection with the Company just a happy customer.

6 hours ago, SRman said:

Hi Peter.

Thanks for that Jeff, I will look into some Zimo decoders as I actually need to order a couple of sound chips from them. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I use the Gaugemaster DCC27 in everything that is not Sound fitted. They are an 8/21 Pin so will fit into every OO Gauge Loco brand, and I find, especially in Bachmann Locos that they run quieter, and very sweet. 

Note = No connection with the Company just a happy customer.

Thanks Andy, I have actually used Gaugemaster decoders before but not for a while, as Hattons stopped stocking them. I always thought they where pretty good. I might do a google search and have a look.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for Zimo.

I've just returned to OO Gauge after a brief period in O and I've equipped my whole fleet (20ish locos) with Zimo MX600R's for the 8-Pin locos and MX638D's for the 21-Pins - as SR Man says above, £20 each.

I tried some of the Hattons 21-Pins a year or two back and didn't find them to be as good as the Lenz's I had elsewhere, but the Zimo's beat both of them in my opinion for quiet, smooth running and fine tuning on motor control.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I like the attention to detail, particularly the wall in the foreground 

I’ve always loved that part demolished wall. Look around at the real railway (particularly in the 80’s) at how many blocked up windows, part demolished buildings, roofs  with trees growing out of them and other dilapidated infrastructure there was. Then look at how little they are modelled. Yes you see things rusted up and weathered but not normally falling down. As said, great attention to detail.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 09/09/2019 at 23:03, Mutley said:

Another vote for Zimo.

I've just returned to OO Gauge after a brief period in O and I've equipped my whole fleet (20ish locos) with Zimo MX600R's for the 8-Pin locos and MX638D's for the 21-Pins - as SR Man says above, £20 each.

I tried some of the Hattons 21-Pins a year or two back and didn't find them to be as good as the Lenz's I had elsewhere, but the Zimo's beat both of them in my opinion for quiet, smooth running and fine tuning on motor control.

Mike

Thanks Mike,  It does seem Zimo are a good decoder I must say I haven't used them much, though I do plan to buy a few sound decoders at some point. Thanks for the information.

Cheers Peter.

On 09/09/2019 at 23:09, chuffinghell said:

I like the attention to detail, particularly the wall in the foreground 

Thanks, Still more to do in the station area but I have been working on my loco shed which seems to have taken an age to do.

Cheers Peter,

• Like 1

On 12/09/2019 at 23:04, P.C.M said:

Thanks Mike,  It does seem Zimo are a good decoder I must say I haven't used them much, though I do plan to buy a few sound decoders at some point. Thanks for the information.

Cheers Peter.

Added advantages of using the more premium decoders such as ESU, Lenz, and Zimo is that they have overload protection built in, even on their budget decoders. It is still possible to destroy them, but much, much more difficult (I haven't lost any decoders from these three brands).

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...