Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

1 minute ago, SRman said:

Hi Pete.  Dd you remove the capacitors from the 31?

I have a few TTS decoders in use, but I haven't investigated their abilities to alter BEMF settings. That could be worth a look.

Also, there are CVs that alter the behaviour including the BEMF cutoff:  CVs 150 to 154 (documented in the leaflet that comes with the decoder. Try CV 150 = 1 as a starter.

Thanks Jeff, I did remove the capacitor, I will try the CVs. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

More great pics Peter and it's always good to catch up with Llanbourne and its trains.  I hope you and yours are well.

37026 in BR blue with Scottie dog and "Loch Awe" nameplates has just arrived here and will be paired with the ScotRail Mk1 coaches.  Both are limited editions and might eventually appear on a hoped-for Scottish Highlands-themed plank along with the McRats and future 21/29s

I'm not an expert on North Wales but there might have been a Pass + News working from Manchester Vic - Bangor.  I remember the York - Aberystwyth one as I made a few overnight journeys on that.  A 40 from York, swapped to a 24 at Crewe, and formed of ex-Insulfish 4-wheelers painted blue and used for parcels plus the CK+BSK Mk1 combination and sundry bogie vans which were added and subtracted at various stops through the night.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

More great pics Peter and it's always good to catch up with Llanbourne and its trains.  I hope you and yours are well.

37026 in BR blue with Scottie dog and "Loch Awe" nameplates has just arrived here and will be paired with the ScotRail Mk1 coaches.  Both are limited editions and might eventually appear on a hoped-for Scottish Highlands-themed plank along with the McRats and future 21/29s

I'm not an expert on North Wales but there might have been a Pass + News working from Manchester Vic - Bangor.  I remember the York - Aberystwyth one as I made a few overnight journeys on that.  A 40 from York, swapped to a 24 at Crewe, and formed of ex-Insulfish 4-wheelers painted blue and used for parcels plus the CK+BSK Mk1 combination and sundry bogie vans which were added and subtracted at various stops through the night.  

Hi Rick, I believe in later years the York - Aberystwyth working was sometimes even a Deltic which changed to an electric at Stockport. Not sure what would take it forward from Crewe? Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Jim76 said:

Hi Rick, I believe in later years the York - Aberystwyth working was sometimes even a Deltic which changed to an electric at Stockport. Not sure what would take it forward from Crewe? Jim

Indeed it was, I remember once doing an overnight service through Stockport and in the centre road there stood a Deltic.

• Like 2

1D02 02Xx Crewe to Holyhead was pass/vans service up to mid 80s (I think) as the relief staff use to catch it to Holyhead for early turn in the the box, think it was only one MK1 brake/pass & the rest was vans...

Another train which was pass/van (which could possibly be the same rake as above) was 1KXX 20XX  Holyhead to Crewe, as it was vac only any vo loco that Holyhead need to get rid of was sent out on this. I seem to remember covering ‘The Bangor’ to Bangor hoping it was a 40 (it wasn’t) then catching the 1725 Crewe to Holyhead from Bangor to Holyhead as 40020 had gone to Holyhead earlier in the day on a ballast??  
As we pulled into Holyhead it was sitting on the front of the Crewe mail, this would’ve been around summer 82. I think this train lasted as pass/van up to the mid 80s same as 1D02 above...

48 minutes ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

1D02 02Xx Crewe to Holyhead was pass/vans service up to mid 80s (I think) as the relief staff use to catch it to Holyhead for early turn in the the box, think it was only one MK1 brake/pass & the rest was vans...

Another train which was pass/van (which could possibly be the same rake as above) was 1KXX 20XX  Holyhead to Crewe, as it was vac only any vo loco that Holyhead need to get rid of was sent out on this. I seem to remember covering ‘The Bangor’ to Bangor hoping it was a 40 (it wasn’t) then catching the 1725 Crewe to Holyhead from Bangor to Holyhead as 40020 had gone to Holyhead earlier in the day on a ballast??  
As we pulled into Holyhead it was sitting on the front of the Crewe mail, this would’ve been around summer 82. I think this train lasted as pass/van up to the mid 80s same as 1D02 above...

There was a similar Crewe-Cardiff service (it may have originated at Stalybridge) - used it once to arrive very early morning at Cardiff for a spotting trip.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Stu.  I remember the 02xx from Crewe , used it a few times. Came in handy when I went for a few pints with John Morris, and missed the last bus from Nantwich to Crewe. Bit of a walk but got home eventually.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Merfyn Jones said:

Stu.  I remember the 02xx from Crewe , used it a few times. Came in handy when I went for a few pints with John Morris, and missed the last bus from Nantwich to Crewe. Bit of a walk but got home eventually.

Merf, you walked from Crewe to Colwyn Bay!! Ha, hope you put it on the timesheet as I know a few who would who are no longer with us unfortunately. 

Would 1D02 shunt a BG or van out at Rhyl prior to it forming Red Bank Vans (from Bangor)from mid 80s, or an I thinking 4D11 parcels or papers or something. 
Might of also been a weekend shunt only?

4 hours ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

That would be 1K89, usually a CD 47 but 45126 worked it on 11/05/85 after arriving at Holyhead on 1D63 from Crewe.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Great discussion this - brilliant to get so much useful information. 

I was aware of the Deltic turn - but I thought it was York to Shrewsbury. Was that a different turn or bad info?

My own chosen period is 86 (for all the same reasons as Peter), but 1981 does keep calling with class 24s, 40s and even a 55 possibility. Steam heat is a tricky modelling option though!

• RMweb Premium

York - Shrewsbury would have been the same turn as the Aberystwyth. Did it finish at Shrewsbury in its last couple of years?  

My travels were before the Deltic was on and definitely had a 40 on the first half. There was one night when we stopped at Huddersfield with so much steam escaping it wasn’t possible to see the station from inside the train.  But it was nice and warm! 

IIRC the Aber leg was replaced by a DMU as sprinters were planned but delayed. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/11/2019 at 22:54, P.C.M said:

Thanks Jeff, I did remove the capacitor, I will try the CVs. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Jeff, I changed the Cv's and the stop start went away but then the loco would only run ok one way and really slowly the other. I spent an hour on it and no joy. I put a normal decoder back in and it 's fine so I might try the sound decoder in another class 31 at some point.

Cheers Peter.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 11/11/2019 at 01:45, Gwiwer said:

Hi Rick, we are going ok, though Leanne's Mum is really sick (Cancer) so Leanne is basically living up with her Mum. 

Look forwards to seeing the plank when you grt started can't beat a bit of Scottish traction. I am actually thinking of selling a Blue Heljan class 26 if your interested. 

Some interesting info on the pass/van trains. I only ever did a few of the Southern Pass/van trains the best one was the 01.55 Southampton - Bristol. which normally had a pair of 33s. 

Cheers Peter.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 11/11/2019 at 22:21, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Thats some great info Thanks. I didn't know about these trains and although probably gone by 86 87 it makes my train a bit more realistic. 

Cheers Peter.

On 12/11/2019 at 06:10, 61656 said:

Great discussion this - brilliant to get so much useful information. 

I was aware of the Deltic turn - but I thought it was York to Shrewsbury. Was that a different turn or bad info?

My own chosen period is 86 (for all the same reasons as Peter), but 1981 does keep calling with class 24s, 40s and even a 55 possibility. Steam heat is a tricky modelling option though!

I have thought about steam heat myself. My idea was to get a smoke machine and run hoses to certain parts of the layout where loco's park and coaches sit and have a small hole so the smoke would come out under the stock, 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Although a Steam era Layout, Martin Roberts / Gismorail has Disco Smoke units emitting smoke under the Ash Pits, (along with Red flashing LED's) in the Engine Shed and in a Factory Chimney on his Chester Northgate Layout, and I photographed it at the Hazel Grove show a few weeks ago, and it is very effective if not over used.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 20:03, Andrew P said:

Although a Steam era Layout, Martin Roberts / Gismorail has Disco Smoke units emitting smoke under the Ash Pits, (along with Red flashing LED's) in the Engine Shed and in a Factory Chimney on his Chester Northgate Layout, and I photographed it at the Hazel Grove show a few weeks ago, and it is very effective if not over used.

Thanks  Andy, I have seen Smoke units used before but not like this I will have to have a look out for the pics of the layout. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium
On 17/11/2019 at 12:13, P.C.M said:

Thanks  Andy, I have seen Smoke units used before but not like this I will have to have a look out for the pics of the layout. 

Cheers Peter.

I've yet to see a convincing steam generator; some work very well for smoke, particularly when they are coordinated with valve events. Steam heat is such a distinctive sight, just occasionally on a UK heritage railway you get a diesel with a boiler fitted and the resulting steam lightly wafting from the carriages. Although no steam at all would probably be better - if it's on the outside of the coach it's not doing much use on the heating front (there is a noticeable difference between railways on how much steam escapes from the coaches). I guess right at the end of steam heating on BR the hoses and rubber washers would all be pretty shot, so there should be steam leaking everywhere. Potentially the right smoke generator in a terminal platform could give just the right impression of a set being pre-heated. I suspect photoshop will be a better option though!

Hi Peter. That shed looks great. I immediately thought 'Holyhead' so you have captured it well! Regarding the TTS decoders, I was asked to install a couple once and both had issues with running and lights...one failing completely. I don't touch them now, the usual poorly thought out and unreliable Hornby electrical.

I have 5 TTS Sound Chips, 2 x 60's, 31, 47, and a 20, and so far no issues, all run sweet and with good lights, apart from the 20, obviously, so I can't think what the problem might be.

The only issue I had was when I installed one into a Heljan 47 and the Motor draws so much current that it blew the Chip, I have since read that that is a known problem.

For the price I've been more than pleased with them.

• Agree 1

On 21/11/2019 at 18:36, 61656 said:

I've yet to see a convincing steam generator; some work very well for smoke, particularly when they are coordinated with valve events. Steam heat is such a distinctive sight, just occasionally on a UK heritage railway you get a diesel with a boiler fitted and the resulting steam lightly wafting from the carriages. Although no steam at all would probably be better - if it's on the outside of the coach it's not doing much use on the heating front (there is a noticeable difference between railways on how much steam escapes from the coaches). I guess right at the end of steam heating on BR the hoses and rubber washers would all be pretty shot, so there should be steam leaking everywhere. Potentially the right smoke generator in a terminal platform could give just the right impression of a set being pre-heated. I suspect photoshop will be a better option though!

I agree, though a freind of mine has some German steam loco's with smoke units and they do look pretty good when going round  his layout.

Cheers Peter.

On 21/11/2019 at 18:58, blueeighties said:

Hi Peter. That shed looks great. I immediately thought 'Holyhead' so you have captured it well! Regarding the TTS decoders, I was asked to install a couple once and both had issues with running and lights...one failing completely. I don't touch them now, the usual poorly thought out and unreliable Hornby electrical.

Thanks Lee, I still need to add the glazing in the roof, but I am quite happy with it. 

I actually think it's the Hornby PCB on my class 31 as the decoder works ok on a Bachmann chassis. I agree the running isn't as good the two others I have a 31 and class 20 are ok , but certainly have little quirks. 

Cheers Peter.

On 21/11/2019 at 19:37, Andrew P said:

I have 5 TTS Sound Chips, 2 x 60's, 31, 47, and a 20, and so far no issues, all run sweet and with good lights, apart from the 20, obviously, so I can't think what the problem might be.

The only issue I had was when I installed one into a Heljan 47 and the Motor draws so much current that it blew the Chip, I have since read that that is a known problem.

For the price I've been more than pleased with them.

Hi Andy, May be you have been lucky so far. Hope all goes well with the move down South, and you can get something up and running. 

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1