Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Really like your last updates. The loco and train pictures are always interesting - like the 25 and 40 together, not something I ever saw for real myself only in pictures I have seen around the Manchester area on the BOC tank trains - they make a fascinating pairing! I also like the above shots - the detail on the point rodding is extremely good and something you don't see so much of on deisel layouts! How is the extension coming along - sounds a bit hot to be doing too much work at the moment!

Mark

Thanks Dave, Check out Scottish Region in the 80's by Bruce, in the Gallery section, there is a lovely pic of a class 27 near Waverley, and in the six foot there are a couple of concrete sleepers. biggrin.gif

No worries, Banger Blue, Glad you like them. I saw D200 a few times and had haulage once, though I wasn't as lucky with other 40s, I saw a few during 85 and 86 but missed them when they regulars on the North Wales coast.sad.gif

Hi Mark, A class 40 to Penzance and getting paid for it, nice.wink.gif Hope the wife is ok.

Thanks Mark, I never saw a 25 & 40 paired either, thats what I like about modelling trains as you can do things you missed in real life.smile.gif It has been a bit hot but I did manage to get something done the other day. I haven't really made any progress though, as I have ended up replacing some points for new ones, as the most recent Peco points have a slightly tighter frog which improves the running, hopefully things will be running in a day or two, back to where I was about two weeks ago. rolleyes.gif I am also in the process of moving the headshunt and coal yard siding over a bit, to give me more room at the front of the layout for coal storage etc. I will post a pic in a day or two.

Cheers Peter,

Pete, notice that you managed to avoid the sound chip sticking around too long! Jeff and I will convert you to the dark side one day!

Nice to actually have the paint colours for the track. I will have to have a go at some time.

Pete, notice that you managed to avoid the sound chip sticking around too long! Jeff and I will convert you to the dark side one day!

Nice to actually have the paint colours for the track. I will have to have a go at some time.

Hi Doug,

I am getting some cash together for a class 25, I have already worded Jeff up on reprogramming it for me so I can run it on Llanbourne.biggrin.gif thin end of the wedge me thinks.wink.gif

Good luck with the track colour, best advise I can give you is look at plenty of pictures, preferably from the area you are modelling.

Cheers Peter,

Hi all,

Just a quick update on the extension, things have been moving very slowly just latley as I decided to replace some points then had to wait for them to arrive, then a week of hot weather stopped me doing anything. Last week I managed to get the trackwork finished again, rolleyes.gif I also moved the coal yard siding over to make more room, I also fitted a Kadee magnet while the track was up. Things are now running again, so the next job is to build control panels. biggrin.gif I did mention that I was going to put a crossover near the junction but this made things look too busy and was going to change my nice flowing curves, plus the cost of two more points and motors was going to push the extension even more over budget. angry.gif I am going to make it look like the crossover has recently been removed and have some trackwork laying around and fresh ballast on the track.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12594555998748_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12594557152082_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12594558884693_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Peter

Just about warming up down there by now eh.? I fondly remember spending six weeks working for my company in Melbourne back in the late eighties, during a January and February. I see you like beaches too.......I was working close to one called St Kildas, stayed in a Motel on the Warrigal Road....oh great memories.!!!!!!!

Anyway your layout...........first time I have come accross it, I'm not a big browser of RMweb, and even less on the new one I'm afraid....hopefully that might change as I get more up to speed with the changes.

Love your model railway...and all the pics, I shall keep my eye on this thread from here on.

Tell me, I like your retaining walls behind the signal box and around the bridge, what did you use to make them.? I might to copy something like that onto my layout.

Bob

Great photos, Peter. I'll have to come one day and have a shufty smile.gif

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Glad you found me, I have a BRMA meeting planned for March but if you are down this way let me know.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

That 47 looks so good, Can just imagine it powering away with a loaded mail train!

Hope I can get to the open day next year.

Gary in cold Tassie!

Hi Gary,

Thought we had lost you, I haven't heard from you for a while. Hope you can make it over next year, hopefully I can get the extension working by then.biggrin.gif

We have had a cool spell here but I don't think it will last for long.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter

Just about warming up down there by now eh.? I fondly remember spending six weeks working for my company in Melbourne back in the late eighties, during a January and February. I see you like beaches too.......I was working close to one called St Kildas, stayed in a Motel on the Warrigal Road....oh great memories.!!!!!!!

Anyway your layout...........first time I have come accross it, I'm not a big browser of RMweb, and even less on the new one I'm afraid....hopefully that might change as I get more up to speed with the changes.

Love your model railway...and all the pics, I shall keep my eye on this thread from here on.

Tell me, I like your retaining walls behind the signal box and around the bridge, what did you use to make them.? I might to copy something like that onto my layout.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Just had a cool spell, but a few weeks ago it was mid 30s all week. I am about 40km South of St Kilda on the Mornington Peninsula 5mins walk to the Beach, went for a swim with the daughter when it was hot the other week, still bloody cold in the water though.

Glad you like the layout, the Brickwork is Wills, I think its course stone, not the cheapest way of doing it but it does look good.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

• Like 1

Hi matey,

Bin following your posts since i started adding my bits on here, layouts superb fela you've got some lovely loco's and stock running on it also i'm liking your detail to the track work and surrounding areas.

Aswell as your weathered loco's very realistic and the driver looking out of the cab on the class 40 keep up the good work and post some more pics as i'd like to see more please ;)

Cheers, Jon.

Hi Jon,

Glad you like the layout, I will take some pics over the next few days as I am going to run a few trains to make sure all the new trackwork is ok.

Hi Keith, I will put some in a box for you,laugh.gif 28 today, had a swim after work.

Cheers Peter,

Thanks Jon, and TT3.

I am having a BRMA meeting March 20th so you quite welcome to come along, though I might do an RMweb meeting at some point.

I have been having a think about the extension and I am not really happy with a few things, one of which is the senic break to the fiddle yard and how the junction looks, I thought I would have more room for the tunnels. Anyway this got me thinking about a plan I worked out a few years ago but didn't follow through with it due to the expence of trackwork and boards. Plus the thing is, it will turn Llanbourne from a terminus to a roundy roundy.icon_surprised.gif It will mean removing the end 2 foot board and building a new senic board or two. to join the recently built fiddle yard board. I have worked out that most of the track from the extension can be used.

Should I leave as is? or go for the roundy roundy.icon_e_biggrin.gif Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers Peter,

As is :D

But to include your roundy roundy in one form or another you could model a freight only/dock line dropping down (just like Preston docks). You could utilise the long siding next to the derelict wall between the station and the yard. Lift it, cut out a hole, put in a ramp, pop the track back in and then loop it round and then back up to join onto the fiddle yard. The extension could be known as Llanbourne Pier, Llanbourne Tidal or Llanbourne Marsh ;) the choice is endless. You could justify ECS workings by saying that there were carriage sidings on the other side of town so then just about anything could work the dock line.

Just ideas mind,

best regards,

Well Pete,

I think Pete, that it would be better to start again and go totally for a new layout rather than modify the existing as I don't think that you would ever be happy with what you ended up with. This is the same as SRman...Newton demolitions will start shortly with Newton reconstruction services already contracted for the civil engineering works... He is ready to totally start again. I need to clear the garage of the book shelf system that I am building a 'la Manfred's ideas on casters.

Sorry this is sounding negative to your thoughts how ever is the new plan realistic to achieve the type of operations you want. Let alone the problem of that Fridge.... Bring it along to the BRMA meeting and give us all a chance to give our thoughts... Just remember what happened to Frank's.... Totally redesigned and the building grew!

All the best

I'll tell you one thing, I aint starting again wink.gif I have permission to move the freezer,icon_clap.gif she's not happy thoughlaugh.gif I am always in the you know what, its just the depth that varies.

Anyways here are a few pics to show you my plan. As you can see all I need to do is remove the end 2' board, I will get a longer fiddle yard as well.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12600710796289_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12600712037714_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12600713890801_thumb.jpg

post-7022-1260071491518_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12600716867442_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Well as Planning permission has already been approved. I can see how going around the bend will be better. Taking it into the round really will change the feel of the layout. I think it will be for the better. I think the one thing that might go in you favour is if the whole thing goes up in the world. Ie make the legs longer for the whole layout. That way you won't have to ben as much to get in to your modelling desk.

As you know me I have a great time tinkering with something as a train trundles around, in fact I forgot, today, and 3 hours later the train was still happy chugging around!

Now no rash decisions now!

Well as Planning permission has already been approved. I can see how going around the bend will be better. Taking it into the round really will change the feel of the layout. I think it will be for the better. I think the one thing that might go in you favour is if the whole thing goes up in the world. Ie make the legs longer for the whole layout. That way you won't have to ben as much to get in to your modelling desk.

As you know me I have a great time tinkering with something as a train trundles around, in fact I forgot, today, and 3 hours later the train was still happy chugging around!

Now no rash decisions now!

Hi Doug,

The layout will be up to the doors so I will have to make a drop down section so I can walk into the middle. Raising it is not an option as the main boards are on trestles and would be a real ###### to do, You will still be able to walk down the side of the layout though. I will design the fiddle yard a bit like Manfreds with lines on the outside for continuous running, and sidings inside of those with crossovers so trains can be reversed, so when I am running to a timetable I can operate the layout as an end to end. I will still have trains terminating at Llanbourne as well.

Cheers Peter,