Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

18 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Inspirational as usual Peter, thank you for sharing. Is that a sheep on the side of 37284? Not something I've noticed before.

Rich

Thanks Rich, It is a Sheep. Some of Cardiff Cantons 37s had it painted on during the mid 80s.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Thanks Rich, It is a Sheep. Some of Cardiff Cantons 37s had it painted on during the mid 80s.

Cheers Peter.

Was that a nod to the ScR's Scottie dogs?  I don't recall seeing the sheep either but there were several logos applied by a single depot with or without official sanction.  Tinsley's unofficially named "Peaks" were popular as was the Cornish "Wizzie Lizzie" lizard from much the same time period.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not the only Welsh depot to adopt a sheep logo. Admittedly  a bit later on in time, during EWS days, this phot of 60052 was taken at Didcot. At some point it’s been adorned with the Margam Black Sheep:

B286FD5E-6D31-4C35-B0CD-822A97F4CAAC.jpeg.bb034d4b331a72dd7367e1ce9f942334.jpeg

60045 was also observed with Margam’s Black Sheep as well.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Evening all, 

I have posted this picture previously in the 'Class 37 photos' thread, but thought it might be of interest here given the current discussion about sheep cartoons on locos.  37231 at Bath Road, complete with sheep, circa May 1984.   Perhaps of interest, I saw an advert recently for a suitable decal.  If I can find the advert again I will post on here.  Best wishes, Paul.

image.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

ScR's Scottie dogs

Or more correctly, they were Eastfield's Westie dogs   :drink_mini:

Steve

Edited by 55020
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Nick G said:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2621

Currently no stock!

Here you go:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2546

Spot printed so there's no superfluous unsightly carrier to cut around. A number of ready-made numbers with correctly positioned sheep too (just realised that sounds a bit weird!)

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, railtec-models said:

Here you go:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2546

Spot printed so there's no superfluous unsightly carrier to cut around. A number of ready-made numbers with correctly positioned sheep too (just realised that sounds a bit weird!)

spacer.png

Best transfers I’ve ever used

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 2

Those railtec transfers do look good. I did my loco a few years back now so hand painted the sheep. Also note the C under the number which I also did.  Anyone know what the C was for? Canton? Coal?

20200516_110450.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, landroverlad8 said:

Hey Mate, around the same time, can you remember how many 33s had the Westbury white horse painted on them. Cheers Jez

Hi Jez , Hows it going? Yep remember the white horse. Can't find a pic at the moment but I know I have a couple. There were a few 33s with cats too.

Cheers Peter.

PJM-SL2A48 (1024x663).jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the reasons Llanbourne isn't finished after all these years is I spend too much time on stock. Currently on the bench is a Lima class 31 which I repainted 25 years ago, it will be paired with a Hornby 31 chassis hopefully sometime this week. Also some barrier wagons that have been in bits for some time and a Bachmann Peak which was stripped over two years ago. I have used a spare early body to sort the nose grilles and provide sealed beam lights. I know the Heljan Peak is due and later the new Bachmann 45. But this was already in bits so would be a waste if I didn't try and finish it. Though it's still a long way off.

Cheers Peter.

20200716_201110.jpg

20200716_201124.jpg

20200716_201141.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 15

Hi Peter.

1. Llanbourne's scenery and track are superb, whether finished or not.

2. Railway modelling is whatever you want it to be. If it is detailing locomotives then that's part of your enjoyment.

3. Your stock is also superbly detailed and weathered.

4. What's the hurry to finish anything? ;) :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

21 minutes ago, SRman said:

Hi Peter.

1. Llanbourne's scenery and track are superb, whether finished or not.

2. Railway modelling is whatever you want it to be. If it is detailing locomotives then that's part of your enjoyment.

3. Your stock is also superbly detailed and weathered.

4. What's the hurry to finish anything? ;) :D

Thanks Jeff, 

Problem is the layout is now getting very old. Things are starting to look a bit tired, I need to get a few things finished before the older bits fall apart. Plus I am building the 7mm which probably isn't helping. 

I do tend to do what a feel like doing but sometimes I need to just get on with some buildings which I do enjoy once I get started. 

Hope you are going ok. 

Cheers Peter.

• Friendly/supportive 4

Peter, 

Llanbourne is always on my 'must visit' list whenever you post an update; for me, you capture the railway of that era wonderfully.  It's an old saw, but true nonetheless, that railway modelling is a journey not a destination, so enjoy the ride and please keep the updates coming.  Who knows, you might eventually inspire me to actually finish something myself! 

Best wishes,  

Paul

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Grampus said:

Peter, 

Llanbourne is always on my 'must visit' list whenever you post an update; for me, you capture the railway of that era wonderfully.  It's an old saw, but true nonetheless, that railway modelling is a journey not a destination, so enjoy the ride and please keep the updates coming.  Who knows, you might eventually inspire me to actually finish something myself! 

Best wishes,  

Paul

Hi Paul, Thanks for your kind words, Llanbourne was never going to be a quick project and I am happy with how it has turned out plus as the saying goes a layout is never really finished is it. 

All the best Peter.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Paul, Thanks for your kind words, Llanbourne was never going to be a quick project and I am happy with how it has turned out plus as the saying goes a layout is never really finished is it. 

All the best Peter.

C J Freezer once wrote that a layout can be complete but never finished.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2