Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Pete,

very, very nice.  Colour is such a subjective thing in any case.  I would be very pleased with that indeed; don't think I have ever seen one completed before in any case.  Certainly nice to see an alternative to the (admittedly lovely) Bachmann rtr flasks. 

Best wishes,

Paul

Edited by Grampus
Update
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Grampus said:

Pete,

very, very nice.  Colour is such a subjective thing in any case.  I would be very pleased with that indeed; don't think I have ever seen one completed before in any case.  Certainly nice to see an alternative to the (admittedly lovely) Bachmann rtr flasks. 

Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks Paul, 

Totally agree re Colour. I think we all see it differently. The kit wasn't an easy build but worth while, as you say makes a change from the Bachmann model. I saw a picture of one in a Modelrail mag a few years back and decided I had to do one. 

Cheers Peter.

20200904_225403.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Dear Peter, 

Genesis stuff is not the easiest to build well, though there were some interesting items in the range.  You've proved it's worth the time and effort invested for sure with your flask.   I must go and re-visit my kit stash: I have one of the Southern Region Schools tender-based snowploughs half-built at the back of the magic cupboard awaiting a fresh stock of round tuits; I really must get on and extract  a digit.  Though I saw them move only once that I can recall, they were staples at Salisbury throughout my spotting days. 

All the best, 

Paul

Hi Paul, I think we all have a kit stash, the flask kit was in the draw for a good few years. their are still a few left in mine part finished. 

I spent plenty of time at Salisbury back in the day. I remember seeing the snowPlough at the london end of the station back in the day.

PJM-Neg-044.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Peter, 

that's a cracking photograph: thank you for posting - very useful indeed.  They were usually a bit camera-shy: one lived behind the wall at the western end of Platform 1 and the other was often to be found lurking at the far end of the long siding on the up side towards the tunnel, alongside Churchill Way.  The only time I ever saw them move was bracketing a crompton (unsurprisingly) in early evening snow.  Very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Grampus said:

Peter, 

that's a cracking photograph: thank you for posting - very useful indeed.  They were usually a bit camera-shy: one lived behind the wall at the western end of Platform 1 and the other was often to be found lurking at the far end of the long siding on the up side towards the tunnel, alongside Churchill Way.  The only time I ever saw them move was bracketing a crompton (unsurprisingly) in early evening snow.  Very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks Paul, I remember seeing the one at the London end I don't recall the other one. it would have good to see them on the move with a Crompton in between. 

Cheers Peter.

Peter, 

I think the one in your picture is probably 'the other one' - the London end one was usually pointed East and 'the other one' pointed west, presumably for ease of access when required, without the need to take them round the Laverstock loop for turning. 

Depending upon when you picture was taken, I wonder if it migrated to Fisherton East Yard when work on the sprinter depot in the former GWR station and coal yard started.  Pure speculation on my part of course. :-)

Best wishes,

Paul 

On 07/09/2020 at 04:06, Grampus said:

Peter, 

I think the one in your picture is probably 'the other one' - the London end one was usually pointed East and 'the other one' pointed west, presumably for ease of access when required, without the need to take them round the Laverstock loop for turning. 

Depending upon when you picture was taken, I wonder if it migrated to Fisherton East Yard when work on the sprinter depot in the former GWR station and coal yard started.  Pure speculation on my part of course. :-)

Best wishes,

Paul 

Hi Paul, the pic was taken mid 80s. I will have a look through my other Salisbury  pics as I might have one showing the other plough.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/09/2020 at 14:06, P.C.M said:

Recent additions to the wagon fleet.

Some much needed barriers for working on the branch.

Cheers Peter.

Well only one pic cos it won't let me load anymore.

20200819_224329.jpg

Hi Pete

What did you use for the top of this wagon? Is it just plasticard? Thanks Stephen 

Edited by ayrmrg

6 hours ago, ayrmrg said:

Hi Pete

What did you use for the top of this wagon? Is it just plasticard? Thanks Stephen 

Hi Stephen, 

Yes it's plasticard. I scribed on the planking and painted it.

Cheers Peter.

20200717_143758.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 11:44, P.C.M said:

Thanks Paul, 

Totally agree re Colour. I think we all see it differently. The kit wasn't an easy build but worth while, as you say makes a change from the Bachmann model. I saw a picture of one in a Modelrail mag a few years back and decided I had to do one. 

Cheers Peter.

20200904_225403.jpg

That's very nice work Pete.

Ive just had frend of mine make me "flask load" out of resin using my wooden one for size and info...

thumbnail_IMG_6198.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, saxokid said:

That's very nice work Pete.

Ive just had frend of mine make me "flask load" out of resin using my wooden one for size and info...

thumbnail_IMG_6198.jpg

Thanks Mate, your flask looks great. you don't see many wagons with the hood open, yours looks spot on.

Cheers Peter.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2020 at 22:50, P.C.M said:

Hi Paul, the pic was taken mid 80s. I will have a look through my other Salisbury  pics as I might have one showing the other plough.

Cheers Peter.

Excellent photo BTW

Wasn't the London facing plough often found in those engineers / cripple sidings on the down side just up from platform 5?

Griff

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, griffgriff said:

Excellent photo BTW

Wasn't the London facing plough often found in those engineers / cripple sidings on the down side just up from platform 5?

Griff

Thanks Griff, The only place I remember seeing a plough was the London end near where I took my pic. Though it wasn't something I was looking out for, more interested in class 33s. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

On 26/08/2020 at 13:40, P.C.M said:

Another new addition to the Llanbourne fleet is a Hornby 142 pacer. This one has been a long time coming, I had two running before going DCC but they were not the best runners and even worse when I hard wired a decoder into one.

Somewhile back I bought a High level kits etch and motor to improve running. While that sat in a box I did remove the motors from one 142 and lower it to run with my Bachmann 150 this worked quite well as I always thought the Hornby model sat too high.

Anyway I made a start last month and had a crack at the high level kit, it went together well but took a bit of faffing to get it sitting at the right ride hight but it's now done and running quite well.

20200823_160939.jpg

20200826_221215.jpg

Hello Peter,

I am new to rmWeb but have been dipping in and out of the site for a fair while now.  Fascinating to read what you have done with your Class 142.  What do you think to the High Level Kits gearbox? I am thinking of going down the same road for a couple of units on my new EM Manchester-based layout.  Also, can I ask how easy was it to fit the Kadee to the 142 and 150 set? Seems an obvious coupling to use given the real life things.

Congratulations on a superb layout by the way. If I can get my build anywhere near half as good I will be very happy!

Richie

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Grampus said:

Thanks Peter and Griff - clearly they moved around a bit!  (Though almost never when I was on site!)

Sorry for hijacking your splendid thread. :-)  I'll let you get back to North Wales...

All the best, 

Paul

No worries re hijacking the thread it's all interesting stuff. I spent a fair bit of time at Salisbury back in the day.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rochdale Road said:

Hello Peter,

I am new to rmWeb but have been dipping in and out of the site for a fair while now.  Fascinating to read what you have done with your Class 142.  What do you think to the High Level Kits gearbox? I am thinking of going down the same road for a couple of units on my new EM Manchester-based layout.  Also, can I ask how easy was it to fit the Kadee to the 142 and 150 set? Seems an obvious coupling to use given the real life things.

Congratulations on a superb layout by the way. If I can get my build anywhere near half as good I will be very happy!

Richie

Hi Richie, Welcome to rmweb.  I think the High Level kit is pretty good the etch folded up well and the instructions are very clear. 

the Kadee's on the 142 are number 5s  I just cut a hold to suit and set them at the right hight.  The 150 has I think number 18s which just plug into the NEM pocket.

Thanks, the layout has taken an age to get this far but I am still enjoying the build. Still plenty to do.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 10:00, P.C.M said:

Thanks Mate, your flask looks great. you don't see many wagons with the hood open, yours looks spot on.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter for your kindness sir:good:

cheers neil...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...