Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

18 hours ago, 61656 said:

All your 25s look great, and it’s hard to tell which is the Hornby. I think Rats are definitely another appealing element of North Wales in the 80s. I’m hoping that the Heljan model might mean I can pick up some Bachmann’s cheap(er)!

I’ve been trying to find evidence of 25s on passenger workings in North Wales as late as 86. Derbysulzers has a handful of passenger workings, but nothing to North Wales. Obviously rule 1 applies, but it’s always nice to have a prototype. 

Thanks. I am sure you will be able to pick up a few at a good price I sold one a while back and didn't get much for it.

class 25s did work a few passenger trains during 86 87. Certainly between Chester and crewe vice failures. I will have a look in some old mags and get back to you.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Some workings i found in some old Rail Enthusiast mags. The highlighted one is late 85 the others 1986.

20210213_194612.jpg

20210213_194823.jpg

20210213_195345.jpg

20210213_195435.jpg

20210213_174243.jpg

Brilliant! How did you find that before the hat had even hit the floor?

Some great bits of reality to reproduce - watch this space!

46 minutes ago, 61656 said:

Brilliant! How did you find that before the hat had even hit the floor?

Some great bits of reality to reproduce - watch this space!

I've done plenty of research for my own layout over the years and most of my 85, 86, 87. Rail mags sit in the book self behind my workbench so easy to find. Plenty of gen on other loco workings if you need anything.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, P.C.M said:

Had some friends over for a bit of a running session yesterday.

Read that and instantly thought “Can’t do that we’re in Lockdown.”

How parochial am I?   !!!

:-)

Like the photos so I’m glad you did!

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

How Jealous am I! Not for the running session as I can have one of those myself. Having friends around is something that we here in the UK have forgotten how that goes. Friends we would visit with either here or there at least once a week were last seen briefly on the 10 of Jan in a car park where we couldn't even give each other a hug. That was the first time we've even seen them since one visit in June. We've even forgotten what our great nieces look like they have grown so much in the last year. This effing plague is so bloody depressing. Lockdown after lockdown, more and more restrictions. So many people have lost their jobs and so many shops and restaurants have closed it is very very far from funny. Don't even get me started on the people we have lost. We've had to cancel our silver wedding party and my 60th birthday celebration was very muted, although we did at least have cake and a good feed. I wouldn't mind but we had covid in April and we have both had our 1st jab..............How bloody jealous am I!!!!

Regards Lez.         

• Friendly/supportive 4

21 hours ago, lezz01 said:

How Jealous am I! Not for the running session as I can have one of those myself. Having friends around is something that we here in the UK have forgotten how that goes. Friends we would visit with either here or there at least once a week were last seen briefly on the 10 of Jan in a car park where we couldn't even give each other a hug. That was the first time we've even seen them since one visit in June. We've even forgotten what our great nieces look like they have grown so much in the last year. This effing plague is so bloody depressing. Lockdown after lockdown, more and more restrictions. So many people have lost their jobs and so many shops and restaurants have closed it is very very far from funny. Don't even get me started on the people we have lost. We've had to cancel our silver wedding party and my 60th birthday celebration was very muted, although we did at least have cake and a good feed. I wouldn't mind but we had covid in April and we have both had our 1st jab..............How bloody jealous am I!!!!

Regards Lez.         

Hi Lez, my parents and brother are still i the UK so I know how bad it is. Our last winter was spent in lockdown but luckily things are OK at the moment though we did have a snap 5 day lockdown last week due to covid numbers going up. We still have some restrictions but nothing like the UK.

I hope things improve soon and you can catch up some some friends.

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2021 at 11:35, 61656 said:

I’ve been trying to find evidence of 25s on passenger workings in North Wales as late as 86. Derbysulzers has a handful of passenger workings, but nothing to North Wales. Obviously rule 1 applies, but it’s always nice to have a prototype. 

https://flic.kr/p/dEine8

Taken at Newport of 25 259 on a Bangor-Cardiff service ran in April '86 (probably deputising for a class 33).

Steven B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steven B said:

Taken at Newport of 25 259 on a Bangor-Cardiff service ran in April '86 (probably deputising for a class 33).

Steven B.

That’s a cracking find! Seems like at least 3 people new about it at the time too. 25 259 is a possible number for one of my fleet now. 

I had a feeling I’d seen a photo of a 25 in late 86 on a shoppers special. Having spent ages trying to relocate it, I finally found the picture of it just leaving Llanbourne.  RMWeb has a hazy border with reality sometimes!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

https://www.derbysulzers.com/rhyl.html

has 25059 coming to the rescue of 47481 in January 1986 on a Holyhead bound train.

On the same site:

https://www.derbysulzers.com/97250.html

In 1987 handled the last passenger working of a Class 25, rescuing a recently outshopped but ailing 47424 on the 1V05 07.09 Holyhead - Cardiff at Chester. 25035 took the service to Crewe where both machines were replaced

Steven B.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good to see your lot has still been going. It appears all of the BRMA Melbourne  group like you have been having small extra local meetings around Melbourne. Must catch up with you in the near future, Peter. 

Your layout is looking as as good as ever. 

• Like 1

On 23/02/2021 at 00:17, Steven B said:

Steven B.

I had a look at the pic in the link, then spent about half an hour looking at other pics on that flickr page some nice ones taken around Crewe showing a class 33 and 40 both in the same shot.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 1

On 23/02/2021 at 04:32, 61656 said:

That’s a cracking find! Seems like at least 3 people new about it at the time too. 25 259 is a possible number for one of my fleet now. 

I had a feeling I’d seen a photo of a 25 in late 86 on a shoppers special. Having spent ages trying to relocate it, I finally found the picture of it just leaving Llanbourne.  RMWeb has a hazy border with reality sometimes!

A good chance it could happen again. 

• Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 00:15, Steven B said:

https://www.derbysulzers.com/rhyl.html

has 25059 coming to the rescue of 47481 in January 1986 on a Holyhead bound train.

On the same site:

https://www.derbysulzers.com/97250.html

In 1987 handled the last passenger working of a Class 25, rescuing a recently outshopped but ailing 47424 on the 1V05 07.09 Holyhead - Cardiff at Chester. 25035 took the service to Crewe where both machines were replaced

Steven B.

Thanks Steven, It's a great website for North Wales gen. 

Cheers Peter.

On 24/02/2021 at 01:00, DougN said:

Good to see your lot has still been going. It appears all of the BRMA Melbourne  group like you have been having small extra local meetings around Melbourne. Must catch up with you in the near future, Peter. 

Your layout is looking as as good as ever. 

Thanks Doug, We have been trying to catch up a bit when we can. We will have to do a bigger one up your way at some point it would be good to catch up. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 24/02/2021 at 01:16, Gwiwer said:

What's a meeting? ;)  

Hi Rick, only just managed it as we had lockdown during the week. Hope your staying safe it looks pretty bad over their at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter. I think a lot here depends upon who you are, where you live and whose version of things you believe. 

There is some evidence to suggest the virus has been worse among certain ethnicities, high-rise and dense housing and the oldest and already-sick. It hasn’t been bad around us at all. In a year we have only known three people go off with it at work, no-one we know locally has had it and we have always been one of the lowest-infection areas. 

If I venture into science versus politics versus popular opinion I’ll be thrown off the site ;)  

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 26/02/2021 at 00:02, Gwiwer said:

Hi Peter. I think a lot here depends upon who you are, where you live and whose version of things you believe. 

There is some evidence to suggest the virus has been worse among certain ethnicities, high-rise and dense housing and the oldest and already-sick. It hasn’t been bad around us at all. In a year we have only known three people go off with it at work, no-one we know locally has had it and we have always been one of the lowest-infection areas. 

If I venture into science versus politics versus popular opinion I’ll be thrown off the site ;)  

Hi Rick, Yeah Down where my brother and parents are it's not to bad. it does seem some parts of the country are worse than others.

Cheers Peter.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

What’s the sound unit on peak 103? It sounds really good. I like that you can have a TSO-T with the Lima Mk2c’s, it’s a real headache with the the Bachmann 2a’s. 

I’m noting all the little details like speed boards that I plan to copy too!