Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

15 hours ago, 61656 said:

What’s the sound unit on peak 103? It sounds really good. I like that you can have a TSO-T with the Lima Mk2c’s, it’s a real headache with the the Bachmann 2a’s. 

I’m noting all the little details like speed boards that I plan to copy too!

45103 has a Lgomanbiffo V4 with two sugar cube speakers jammed inside. My Trans Pennine rakes get swapped about a bit to form different rakes the one in the video has a mix of Hornby Lima and Bachmann. I plan to do a few more Bachmann MK2s so they can form their own rakes, then the Lima and Hornby can stay together. 

Cheers Peter.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Grampus said:

Lovely vid, particularly with the sound from the Crompton.  With the NSE-branded Mk1s and one eye closed, it could be a Bristol-Pompey service:jester:

The Bristol - Pompey services were extended to Cardiff Crewe and into North Wales in the mid 80s , so the rakes were pretty much what was running out of Bristol and Cardiff. The Cromptons started to get unreliable due to being away from their home depot for too long so by 87 the services were cut back.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, P.C.M said:

The Bristol - Pompey services were extended to Cardiff Crewe and into North Wales in the mid 80s , so the rakes were pretty much what was running out of Bristol and Cardiff. The Cromptons started to get unreliable due to being away from their home depot for too long so by 87 the services were cut back.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter.  I had not clocked it was the same rakes!  That explains a lot. 

Cheers,

Paul

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Grampus said:

Thanks Peter.  I had not clocked it was the same rakes!  That explains a lot. 

Cheers,

Paul

Portsmouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Crewe, Bangor and back would have been quite a long day in a mk1! Now I write it down I wonder if you could actually do a return in a day? Certainly wouldn’t be a short day out. 

• Like 3

Due to the Cardiff-Pompey service being reversed at Bristol TM, there would usually be another loco in the bay at the northern end of the station, waiting to take the train back out, but occasionally, the original loco would run around and continue the journey. 

You could get a bit of variety on the Cardiff to Bristol leg of the journey... by variety, I of course mean a Class 47 instead of the Crompton, but on one notable Sunday evening in 1986 I did get a rare taste of Class 50 haulage. The Pompey-Cardiff leg was almost exclusively Class 33 haulage, but I did come to realise that the 14:00-ish  from the harbour was diagrammed for a 47, plus for some reason it didn't stop at Westbury, so if I bunked off my last lecture at college, I could be home for opening time.

I like the 33 - I am looking to get one for my layout.

Your layout looks excellent. 

Edited by 9C85
Added more vagueness about the departure time of the 47 from Portsmouth
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2021 at 09:46, St Enodoc said:

You'll need at least one empty road to receive an incoming train. It sounds obvious but I learned the hard way...

My layout has only three storage roads, plus I could use the kickback/ headshunt as another temporary road so long as nothing leaves the layout. After my running session yesterday, I noted that the three storage sidings were full, plus two of my four 'real world ' sidings were occupied, so I guess I am nearing capacity stock-wise? I should see it as a welcome excuse to stop buying coaching stock and divert my limited funds into layout infrastructure  ...or even food maybe?

I do need just one more loco though, and at the moment, a 33 is top of the target list.

Edited by 9C85
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Found this diagram 33004.. Quite a few miles for a crompton.

20210304_182301.jpg

Most interesting insight. Do you know what year that was?

Paul.

On 02/03/2021 at 10:06, P.C.M said:

33202 Leaves Llanbourne on a service to Holyhead.

Loving the videos Peter - subscribed to your YouTube as well. The layout is absolutely superb and you’ve got some really nice stock

Hope you’re well?

Will

2 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Due to the Cardiff-Pompey service being reversed at Bristol TM, there would usually be another loco in the bay at the northern end of the station, waiting to take the train back out, but occasionally, the original loco would run around and continue the journey. 

You could get a bit of variety on the Cardiff to Bristol leg of the journey... by variety, I of course mean a Class 47 instead of the Crompton, but on one notable Sunday evening in 1986 I did get a rare taste of Class 50 haulage. The Pompey-Cardiff leg was almost exclusively Class 33 haulage, but I did come to realise that the 14:00-ish  from the harbour was diagrammed for a 47, plus for some reason it didn't stop at Westbury, so if I bunked off my last lecture at college, I could be home for opening time.

I like the 33 - I am looking to get one for my layout.

Your layout looks excellent. 

Had a class 50 one time and a few class 45s. I think it was 1987 when the class 47 was booked we used to avoid it if we could. I have a pic of a class 37/4 on a cardiff - Bristol train too, and I think class 31s could be seen on the trains too.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Loving the videos Peter - subscribed to your YouTube as well. The layout is absolutely superb and you’ve got some really nice stock

Hope you’re well?

Will

Hi Will, Thanks mate I hadn't added anything for ages but plan to do a few more now that I can load from my phone to youtube and onto here.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Had a class 50 one time and a few class 45s. I think it was 1987 when the class 47 was booked we used to avoid it if we could. I have a pic of a class 37/4 on a cardiff - Bristol train too, and I think class 31s could be seen on the trains too.

Cheers Peter.

31s were displaced by the 33s IIRC.

I have a vague recollection of having a 37 on the Cardiff-Bristol leg one evening.  Possibly my only ever haulage by the Class, which is ironic when you think that they were swarming around where I lived as a kid.

I cabbed a few 37s at Porth station though, while they were waiting to come off the branch from Maerdy colliery down to Radyr.

On 07/03/2021 at 23:39, 9C85 said:

31s were displaced by the 33s IIRC.

I have a vague recollection of having a 37 on the Cardiff-Bristol leg one evening.  Possibly my only ever haulage by the Class, which is ironic when you think that they were swarming around where I lived as a kid.

I cabbed a few 37s at Porth station though, while they were waiting to come off the branch from Maerdy colliery down to Radyr.

They were but some did still turn up.

The Canton class 37/4s were quite common between cardiff and Bristol during 87.

Cheers Peter

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I never ceased to be impressed by your efforts. There’s always so much detail in your photos. You start looking at the 25, then notice the quality of the track colour. Then you realise how many colours there are, and the different textures. And the faint hint of weeds growing. And the speed board leaning against the old van. Absolutely delightful. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7