Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter

I actually think you've nailed this already as a terminus station and to change it would be a shame. Just my opinion!wink.gif

If you wanted to vary it in anyway (i.e. if its a case that you're bored with current arrangements), how about extending the 'juice' from Crewe to allow a few Cans and Roarers to find their way unprototypically into Wales!!!? Now that would be a challenge to OHL the track without remodelling! You would probably need to ditch the semaphores though unsure.gif blink.gif wink.gif [tounge-in-cheek emoticon].

Whatever you do, keep those photos coming!

Alex

Thanks guys,

Hi SRman, thats what I am thinking, I can still have trains terminating but have the option to run through.

Hi Mark,I will still use the old station building and have it as it is know at platform level.

Hi Richard, Another reason for not starting again is that I am really happy with what I have done so far.

Hi Alex, Don't worry I have thought about OHL biggrin.gif I am still undecided about going round as I do like the terminus, but I could still terminate trains and have ECS moves etc, if I do go roundy roundy I would have the fiddle yard set up so trains can be reversed.

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Gold

You could always add partial third rail electrification, as per Chester, and assume some sort of PTE service ?

If you do go down the modify route might be time to make that signal box more North Western ;)

Many years I was involved in a layout which worked very well as a terminus, after we had "blasted the platforms through", the enthusiasm waned, it was no longer the same - if, a big if, you decide to go roundy-roundy then I would be tempted to rethink the station, not least because the P&C for a terminal is different from a through station (which is a partial problem, to me, on our Charlotte Road but we are getting rid of that anyway :O :) )

hth

You could always add partial third rail electrification, as per Chester, and assume some sort of PTE service ?

If you do go down the modify route might be time to make that signal box more North Western wink.gif

Many years I was involved in a layout which worked very well as a terminus, after we had "blasted the platforms through", the enthusiasm waned, it was no longer the same - if, a big if, you decide to go roundy-roundy then I would be tempted to rethink the station, not least because the P&C for a terminal is different from a through station (which is a partial problem, to me, on our Charlotte Road but we are getting rid of that anyway ohmy.gif smile.gif )

hth

Third rail and units, sounds like more work to me.laugh.gif

You don't like my signal boxsad.gif I think you are right though, I quite like the Bachmann one, would that be better ? And you have lost me on P&C icon_confused.gif oh platforms maybeicon_idea.gif , are they too narrow always thought they might be a bit slim, thats Hornbys fault. Those ones at Llandudno are quite wide, but I could get away with that couldn't I.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Gold

Third rail and units, sounds like more work to me.laugh.gif

You don't like my signal boxsad.gif I think you are right though, I quite like the Bachmann one, would that be better ? And you have lost me on P&C icon_confused.gif oh platforms maybeicon_idea.gif , are they too narrow always thought they might be a bit slim, thats Hornbys fault. Those ones at Llandudno are quite wide, but I could get away with that couldn't I.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

P&C = Points and Crossings (really Switches and Crossings !!) - as in the track plan would different for a through station rather than a terminus

It's not that I dislike the box, it's just too Eastern looking for Wales :P - yes the Bachmann LNWR would be a good replacement, although it can stand some work as it's a hybrid between a Type 4 and a Type 5 but it's still an LNWR looking cabin, a very good start point.

:)

P&C = Points and Crossings (really Switches and Crossings !!) - as in the track plan would different for a through station rather than a terminus

It's not that I dislike the box, it's just too Eastern looking for Wales tongue.gif - yes the Bachmann LNWR would be a good replacement, although it can stand some work as it's a hybrid between a Type 4 and a Type 5 but it's still an LNWR looking cabin, a very good start point.

smile.gif

Ok Points and crossings,icon_thumbsup2.gif if I end up doing the roundy roundy, I would think about changing the point which joins the middle road to what would end up being the Down Main to join the Up Main. This would remove one of the facing points on the Down Main, changing anything else would be a pain.

You have got me thinking about Bachmann LNWR box, would it take much to get it right or would I be better of getting a kiticon_question.gif

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Gold

Ok Points and crossings,icon_thumbsup2.gif if I end up doing the roundy roundy, I would think about changing the point which joins the middle road to what would end up being the Down Main to join the Up Main. This would remove one of the facing points on the Down Main, changing anything else would be a pain.

You have got me thinking about Bachmann LNWR box, would it take much to get it right or would I be better of getting a kiticon_question.gif

Cheers Peter,

London Road kit - a couple joined, would give a nice LNWR Type 4 - but then as we supplied the drawings for it we are a bit bias !!

I will try and dig out a couple of photos to show the problems for you, easier than typing.

Peter I think I would keep the layout as a terminus. I can definitely see the attraction of watching trains round and round, but it would really drastically change the feel of Llanbourne, something which I think would result in you loosing your way a little. Focus on getting the extension finished and see how you feel then :)

London Road kit - a couple joined, would give a nice LNWR Type 4 - but then as we supplied the drawings for it we are a bit bias !!

I will try and dig out a couple of photos to show the problems for you, easier than typing.

No worries, thanks for the help.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers Peter,

A couple of examples of what can be achieved by using several LRM kits.

The Clarendon Box was built by John Gowers, the other by Peter Sapte.

The LRM kit doesn't include the base, other than the etched windows, so you build the base as required to suit the installation.

Jol Wilkinson

post-1191-12604377824932_thumb.jpg

post-1191-12604378184063_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Peter I think I would keep the layout as a terminus. I can definitely see the attraction of watching trains round and round, but it would really drastically change the feel of Llanbourne, something which I think would result in you loosing your way a little. Focus on getting the extension finished and see how you feel then smile.gif

Hi James,

Yeah, I am still not sure what to do, I think you are right about changing the feel of the layout, maybe I should just finish what I started, and get some of the building finished off. I am still not sure about the extension I have sterted, I think I will have a running session and see how it works.

Anyway, here are a few pics. 33010 & 33026 depart for Crewe on a provincial service, a tatty 45036 waits in platform 4 on a train for York and 45111 sits on the shed headshunt, a Pacer sits in the middle road.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-126043731998_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12604374855939_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12604376603814_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12604378527261_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12604380229095_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

A couple of examples of what can be achieved by using several LRM kits.

The Clarendon Box was built by John Gowers, the other by Peter Sapte.

The LRM kit doesn't include the base, other than the etched windows, so you build the base as required to suit the installation.

Jol Wilkinson

Thanks for the pics Jol, very nice.cool.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Been busy so not caught up for a while with your thread - I like your layout as a terminus - sort of reminds me of the old Morecambe station before it closed as the track work for running around trains gives plenty of operational scope. If you were to make it a roundy one - it would be worth retaining several terminus platforms to keep the atmosphere and possibly just have a couple of through tracks or a freight avoiding line as well so you can have the best of both then. The shot of the beach back on page 18 makes me want a holiday in Aus again - the nearest I come to bright reflection on water is seeing the moon on the Forth when I am travelling home from work on the train! I liked the shot of the 33 on the single BG as well it looked very good parked up in the station. The NSE branding on the latest photos is also a nice touch - I remember seeing a short 3 coach set with an NSE branded mark 1 behind a blue 37 at Grange once although most former NSE stock was Mark 2 in the early 90's on the Barrow line.

Mark

Hi Peter,

Been busy so not caught up for a while with your thread - I like your layout as a terminus - sort of reminds me of the old Morecambe station before it closed as the track work for running around trains gives plenty of operational scope. If you were to make it a roundy one - it would be worth retaining several terminus platforms to keep the atmosphere and possibly just have a couple of through tracks or a freight avoiding line as well so you can have the best of both then. The shot of the beach back on page 18 makes me want a holiday in Aus again - the nearest I come to bright reflection on water is seeing the moon on the Forth when I am travelling home from work on the train! I liked the shot of the 33 on the single BG as well it looked very good parked up in the station. The NSE branding on the latest photos is also a nice touch - I remember seeing a short 3 coach set with an NSE branded mark 1 behind a blue 37 at Grange once although most former NSE stock was Mark 2 in the early 90's on the Barrow line.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Your layout is looking great bye the way,icon_thumbsup2.gif I am not doing anything to the terminus just yet, though I am pretty sure the extension is going to be scrapped, its just not doing it for me. I will relay the fiddle yard and get on with some locos, as I have a 47 and 37/4 to do, well actually there are a few more than that but they will do for a start.

Sorry about the beach shot, though you are in a lovely spot there. You are always welcome to visit if you come to Aus.

Glad you like the pics, the NSE stock did get about a bit after a while, I remember going to Barrow on a Railtour with a 31 and 26 I think that was MK1 stock.

CheersPeter,

• Like 2

Excellent Photos Peter.

I for one am in the leave it as a terminus camp, to change it would be a crime!

It would completely change the character of the layout but I am probably not the best person to ask as I do not like change!

As you know Grimley is a roundy roundy layout and it is great to just run trains around but your layout is superb and should not be changed! Do the extension and start a new layout for the changes that you have in your head.

Hope that has been helpful!!!huh.gif icon_what.gif icon_biggrin.gif

I guess you may have gotten bored with the layout, certainly something I have done in the past.

Anyway I hope you 'don't change the layout but understand why if you do!

The other option is sell it and start with a clean slate again.....

cheers

Keith

I've been watching and enjoying this thread for some time now as it was one of those I kept an eye on from the previous RMweb. For what it's worth I really like the terminus as it is but through running would open up many more possibilities. If you are undecided about where you are going then I would suggest before doing anything or making any decisions that you might wish to take a step back. I find that whenever I have the desire to do something that really enthrals me, I go at it non-stop, often until the small hours of the morning, until I get to the point where I have simply exhausted myself and I start to get a bit jaded. After a few days rest it all seems okay again and indeed, I often return with some new and refreshing ideas. You've put a lot of work into this, evident from your forum posts, so it deserves a lot of careful thought. I'm confident that you'll make the right decision in the end and that Llanbourne will continue to provide pleasure to the RMweb fraternity. Continue to throw your ideas at RMweb members as I'm sure that will help and good luck.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, its been most welcome and helpful.

The question is why did I think about going for the roundy roundy in the first place?

Well I wasn't happy with the extension, but only parts of it, the scenic break to the fiddle yard was the main problem, and then there was the hidden track over the back being hard to clean and the over complicated track layout in the fiddle yard, and fiddle yard being a bit cramped.

It's good to know if I really want to I can go roundy roundy in the future I could, but for now Llanbourne will stay as a terminus.smile.gif The extension will be changed though, but not drastically. The junction will go, leaving just 2 tracks entering the fiddle yard and the hidden branch track will be moved closer for easier cleaning, removing the junction means less track going into the fiddle yard and means less pointwork and longer sidings. Removing the junction also means the scenic break problem is solved.biggrin.gif

I wont be doing any thing this week as I have started working on a class 47 but over the next few weeks I will sort things out.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

P.S. Mrs PCM is happy laugh.gif and this is always a good thing

• Like 1

Phew, glad it's staying as a terminus.

This is one thread I constantly come back to as it really captures the imagination and feels true to life, Waverley West is another similar layout.

Llanbourne inspired me to start my latest layout which is just starting to get it's tracks laid, a very simple 6 platform terminus with a small kickback freight facility in N.

Phew, glad it's staying as a terminus.

This is one thread I constantly come back to as it really captures the imagination and feels true to life, Waverley West is another similar layout.

Llanbourne inspired me to start my latest layout which is just starting to get it's tracks laid, a very simple 6 platform terminus with a small kickback freight facility in N.

Thanks Mate,

Are you going to do a layout thread, I wold like to follow your progress, sounds good.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Bro , glad to see your going to keep it as a terminus and not start ripping it all up.... is only taken you 20+ years to build it so far...wink.gif ..do some locos up (class 37) and then return to layout..icon_thumbsup2.gif

Hi Keith,

Yes the layout will stay the same, and I will carry on with the extension now I ave worked out what I am doing. biggrin.gif

Bachmann class 47/4 and Vi trains 37/4 on the workbench as we speak. 20s, 25s 31, 33, 40s 45, 47s, 50, 56, in boxes waiting to be done.icon_rolleyes.gif icon_redface.gif

Cheers Peter,