Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Hope you had a good christmas and happy new year to you and your family!

This might be a strange coincidence but following the last message I left you you said you went to Barrow once behind a 31 and 26. I have a collection of old Rail magazines from 1989 - 92 that were given to me by a friend Ivor who sadly passed away last year. They are great for research shots and I have put markers in to relevant sections for back dating Victory Road and in Rail 135 from November 1990 there is a picture of 31434 being piloted by 26025 in Rail freight grey at Grange Over Sands which is having to reverse over the crossover to work single line over Arnside Viaduct. Could that have been the very train you were on?

Great shots of your layout - your old lima 47's look very good with all the detailing added and at least won't suffer from the issues of some Heljan models chassis! Keep the pics coming of your progress.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Alex,

I will be following your depot progress,smile.gif I will dig out some of my Toton pics and scan them when I get a chance.

As for Peaks you can never have enough.wink.gif

Here are my Peaks so far, still more to do.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter, love the photos of your Peaks, quality. cool.gif

I am really looking forward to getting a 45, sorry this is probably a silly question but have Bachmann brought out their new model? As my interest has been in the present day I haven??™t been keeping up with the older locos.

My plan is to model 45104 and 45110 first, the latter always seemed to be around when we went out! Used to love the Tinsley unofficially named ones with the high intensity headlights. Which one do you have? Just been looking on the internet at when they were withdrawn.

Also saw a photo of Toton back in 1992 and there is 45148 inside the shed with a 60015.

That would be great if you could dig out some Toton pics. I am surprised at how much progress has been made, but would like it finished so that I can play! biggrin.gif

Hi there,

Your almost as bad as me with my 37's having that amount of peaks wink.gif so you like 45's then biggrin.gif

Hi Jon,

Yes, though back in the Lima days I did have a few 37s as well, I always liked the Scottish ones best, but Peaks are a favourite.

Cheers Peter,

OK, you've shown us the Peaks, now show us the troughs! wink.gif

All right, all right ... I'm going, I'm going!!!! tongue.gif

If you are still there Jeff the best I can do is the Laundry trough,tongue.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Hope you had a good christmas and happy new year to you and your family!

This might be a strange coincidence but following the last message I left you you said you went to Barrow once behind a 31 and 26. I have a collection of old Rail magazines from 1989 - 92 that were given to me by a friend Ivor who sadly passed away last year. They are great for research shots and I have put markers in to relevant sections for back dating Victory Road and in Rail 135 from November 1990 there is a picture of 31434 being piloted by 26025 in Rail freight grey at Grange Over Sands which is having to reverse over the crossover to work single line over Arnside Viaduct. Could that have been the very train you were on?

Great shots of your layout - your old lima 47's look very good with all the detailing added and at least won't suffer from the issues of some Heljan models chassis! Keep the pics coming of your progress.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Happy new year to you and yours,

That sounds like the train I was on. 20.10.90 31434 26025 Manchester- Barrow and back though I bailed at Preston on the return as I was staying in Blackpool that week. I will post a couple of pic when I get the chance.biggrin.gif

I didn't like the width problem on the Heljan 47s so stuck with my Lima locos though I am replacing them with Bachmann now.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter, love the photos of your Peaks, quality. cool.gif

I am really looking forward to getting a 45, sorry this is probably a silly question but have Bachmann brought out their new model? As my interest has been in the present day I haven??™t been keeping up with the older locos.

My plan is to model 45104 and 45110 first, the latter always seemed to be around when we went out! Used to love the Tinsley unofficially named ones with the high intensity headlights. Which one do you have? Just been looking on the internet at when they were withdrawn.

Also saw a photo of Toton back in 1992 and there is 45148 inside the shed with a 60015.

That would be great if you could dig out some Toton pics. I am surprised at how much progress has been made, but would like it finished so that I can play! biggrin.gif

Hi Alex,

Glad you like the Peaks, and yes Bachmann have released a new model but its a split box job which is a bit early for you, the model which came out a few years ago would be better though that was missing the seam across the nose, plus this loco still has the early grilles on each corner which you could live with, it depends how accurate you want to be.

All my models are based on the early Bachmann class 46 release which used a retooled Mainline body. The Bachmann bodys had the right grilles but the nose is a bit low by about 2mm, a couple of my Peaks have Mainline bodys which like the newer Bachmann loco have the wrong grilles on the corner, my model of 45111 has an etch over the grilles but I only did the one loco as I don't think they looked that good. There are differences between 45/0 and 1s as well. Your best bet is to find a few pics of the one you want to do.

I am quite happy to give you more info when you need it. It's a bit of a minefield.

I had 45104 on a railtour it had wooden nameplates and orange and white linning, 45110 is on my todo list as well, as it had an orange cant rail line plus I have a few pics of the loco at Bristol.

My Tinsley namer is 45103 Griffon, it was one of the first to get a painted name so just fits into my time period. 45110 was named Medusa if thats any help Replica did the nameplates as rub on transfers.

As far as I know the Peaks were wihdrawn in August 1988 but 45106 was painted green and lasted until 1989 not sure of what month though.

Hope I have helped, and not confused you.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, The signals do work but manually biggrin.gif so it would be possable to put a motor underneath. I did make them over 15 years ago so it is quite possable that they are wrong. Any help would be appreciated, I will take some pics of the reworked extension as I nead help there too.unsure.gif I was asked about my ground signals, are they off the right way I am sure they are correct but I can change them if they are wrong.

I am going to try and get a LRM kit of a LNWR signal box as they are about the same price as the Bachmann one, and the kit will be better for me as I wil have to change which end the steps go, thanks for letting me know such a kit was available.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers Peter,

You have some opposing routes set - I would knock the ground signals to danger as, to my eye, it ruins the effect when the ground signal is clear for a shunt move and the main arm is off with a train departing.

The LRM signal box is a good choice (but then I would say that !) - the old signal box on Widnes is one of those.

(Sorry, I missed this reply !)

You have some opposing routes set - I would knock the ground signals to danger as, to my eye, it ruins the effect when the ground signal is clear for a shunt move and the main arm is off with a train departing.

The LRM signal box is a good choice (but then I would say that !) - the old signal box on Widnes is one of those.

Can you actually get working dollys.? No...Not blow up ones.!!!

I havent seen any working ones on any layouts.

• RMweb Gold

Can you actually get working dollys.? No...Not blow up ones.!!!

I havent seen any working ones on any layouts.

You can make them ! - I made them about 25 years ago but then I made 4mm semaphores with correct working mechanical slotting too :blink: nowadays colour lights do for me :lol:

Not that hard to make work, although the ex LNWR miniature arm ones would be a challenge - the real arm being less than a foot long - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/6505-pre-grouping-signals/page__view__findpost__p__55776

:)

I thought this was supposed to be North Wales and not the Peak district? tongue.gif

Sorry Mark I missed this post,

Peak district,laugh.gif you funny manbiggrin.gif Hope you are not too cold over there, outside temp here currently 28 at 8.30 pm.biggrin.gif

This should keep you happy, I have done a bit on the 7mm brake van. I've soldered up the brake gear underneath plus I have made up some axle boxes.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12629436417697_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

No worries Dave,

I see what you mean about the ground signals being off, I had a look at the layout last night and changed a few back to danger, it wasn't until I had a good look that I realised I had so many off.

As for working ground signals I am sure I have seen working ones, I think it was Walford Town, there were some very nice signals on that layout.cool.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. on the Peaks, to be honest it does sound like a minefield so will wait until I am ready to model some and then ask for some help! huh.gif wacko.gif blush.gif If that is ok with you? biggrin.gif

Love Griffon, superb. Thanks for posting the photos, would like to see that one visit Boxenby! cool.gif

Yes I pan to model mine as they were right at the end of their lives with orange cant rail stripes and high intensity head lights. Just how I remember them.

The day we visited Toton, 45104 arrived in Derby when we were there on some MK2s, superb!

I do have a Replica 45106 which is one of may favourite locos, will take a photo of it at Grimley next time I visit. After doing some research I agree it appears to be August 1988 that they were finally withdrawn.

Keep looking at your 45103, really looking forward to modelling BR Blue stock.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. on the Peaks, to be honest it does sound like a minefield so will wait until I am ready to model some and then ask for some help! huh.gif wacko.gif blush.gif If that is ok with you? biggrin.gif

Love Griffon, superb. Thanks for posting the photos, would like to see that one visit Boxenby! cool.gif

Yes I pan to model mine as they were right at the end of their lives with orange cant rail stripes and high intensity head lights. Just how I remember them.

The day we visited Toton, 45104 arrived in Derby when we were there on some MK2s, superb!

I do have a Replica 45106 which is one of may favourite locos, will take a photo of it at Grimley next time I visit. After doing some research I agree it appears to be August 1988 that they were finally withdrawn.

Keep looking at your 45103, really looking forward to modelling BR Blue stock.

Hi Alex,

You never know Bachmann might release an 80s condition Peak in there 2010 program.biggrin.gif

I the mean time you could detail up your 45106 and put it on an early Bachmann chassis. icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi all,

Apart from the Extension I have added a few people to the layout and nearly finished a Beacon Models Metro. 33010 has also had a quick visit to the workbench, I removed the bogie sides to sort out the Kadee hight so while I had the bogies sides off I cut off the centre springs and recessed them.

Here are a few pics.

33010 waits to couple up.

25109 ticks over in platform 4.

Vic and Dave watch, while Berni does all the work.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-1263549120033_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12635492849289_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12635495557202_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12635498285532_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12635499674849_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Pete,

Those latest photos are brilliant. I really like the shot of 33010 about to couple up. I did a spring mod on my model of 33207 in DRS livery along with the buffers and other bits and pieces to represent the real thing and I think it makes a huge difference to the look of the model as it already has a very good underframe with the tank molds and pipework. It looks workstained like the photos on your southern photo thread on the old site which I enjoyed following! I have not seen a view of the mess building before and it just oozes atmosphere with the open sash window being a very nice detail!

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

Fantastic layout.

A quick question, I notice you've fitted a NEM pocket to your Hornby Class 142 Pacer. How easy was this and to the point how did you do it?

Thanks.

Rob

I suspect Peter has added a Kadee no.5 (kadee in a draft box) rather than an NEM pocket and a Kadee no.18 (I might be wrong). In which case I suspect having done it myself that he chopped a slot in the valance and slid the assembled Kadee through, and mounted to underframe with some packing made up from plasticard to get the correct height.

looking great Pete, did`nt we hav a white Metro at some point ??....

Hi Keith,

Yes we did, Mums first car, though I think it was a more creamy colour.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Pete,

Those latest photos are brilliant. I really like the shot of 33010 about to couple up. I did a spring mod on my model of 33207 in DRS livery along with the buffers and other bits and pieces to represent the real thing and I think it makes a huge difference to the look of the model as it already has a very good underframe with the tank molds and pipework. It looks workstained like the photos on your southern photo thread on the old site which I enjoyed following! I have not seen a view of the mess building before and it just oozes atmosphere with the open sash window being a very nice detail!

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks mate,biggrin.gif the spring mod didn't take long, 33026 and 33202 will be next though a Bachmann 47 is on the workbench at the moment.

I did start the Southern photo thread on the new forum but it hasn't been added to for while.

The shunters building has been on the layout for a while I just haven't taken many pics of it, I have put a light inside but its not wired up yet, The list of jobs is very long.

Here are a couple of pics of the 26 and 31 we talked about the other week.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12638139473925_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12638140895298_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Fantastic layout.

A quick question, I notice you've fitted a NEM pocket to your Hornby Class 142 Pacer. How easy was this and to the point how did you do it?

Thanks.

Rob

Hi Rob,

James has pretty much nailed it,biggrin.gif ( thanks James you have described it better than I probably would have done.) Hope that helps Rob if you want a pic I will post one for you.

If you wanted to use a NEM pocket I think you could almost do it the same way, I used No. 5s as it was what I had and I think they are cheaper than 18, 19s and 20s.

Cheers Peter,

Your staff look very good, I especially like the picture with the shunter and the bloke leaning on the barrier. It all looks very natural and realistic.

I just hope that one day my layout has some of these qualities.

Thanks

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I am sure you will get there, it just takes time I still have heaps to do myself. Best thing is do the basics and get it how you want it then add the detail a bit at a time. To do all the people in one go would do my head in, so I have started with just a few and will add more as I feel like doing them or think of a good spot to put them.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Love the latest shots. Lovely detail, colouring and weathering.

One thing I've always wondered about Llanbourne is the apparent lack of a backscene in most of your shots. Are you planning on having one or is it just not visible in most shots? Or would a backscene not work because the layout is viewed from both sides?

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West