Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Dave,

The backscene is a bit of a problem, as like you said the layout is viewed from both sides. The layout was built as an exhibition layout and did do one show before I moved to Oz. I did think about putting a backscene on the viewing side and have the layout up against the wall, once it was set up here.

But I wanted to view the layout from both sides, so at the moment Llanbourne has the old fairly low backscene on one side. I am thinking of replacing the section behind the yard and loco shed area with something I can remove and put on both sides for when I am taking pictures, any thoughts welcome though. I could do a low backscene along the viewing side for when I am playing trains but have it so I can take it off when people visit.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12639799941999_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Peter

Thanks for the photos.

Was it a straight forward job?

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes it was, just make sure you get the coupler hight correct and take your time drilling the slot on the bufferbeam, not that it has buffers.wink.gif I drilled several small holes then filed it out.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12643208833617_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12643212572197_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a bit of progress on the extension, I thoughtblink.gif it would be a good idea to put up the backscene board to give me an idea of how much room would be left for the control panel.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12648538677377_thumb.jpg

post-7022-1264854040887_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12648542629687_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12648544727249_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Ian,

There are a few over done models about, I just find it better to work from pictures, preferably a pic of the actual loco at about the time you are modelling it.biggrin.gif I am working on a 47 at the moment useing your method to modify the tanks and bogies. But hopfully later in the year I will make a start on this little beast.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12650981787458_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Peter,

Some more nice shots there.

As Pennine MC says, your 25 looks great. You're making me think it would be a good idea to put the buffer beam pipework on mine now!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Thanks Dave,

The pipes etc that come with the class 25 aren't very good, I used some Shawplan pipes but you could use spare Heljan or Hornby if you have any. Here is a pic of 25109 which I fitted with Heljan ploughs, you could try a set of these on your next class 25.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12651105731012_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice photo, think you need a few more HEAs though! laugh.gif tongue.gif icon_mrgreen.gif

Yeah, but you bought them all,laugh.gif

Funny you mention the HEAs because I normally run them in my Speedlink, they get shunted out at Llanbourne and tripped to the coal yard. Thing is I have 8 HEAs and was thinking of getting a few more to make up a block train though nothing like the 30 odd wagon rake you have.biggrin.gif The plan is to have the train drop of some wagons at Llanbourne then go on to Bangor or Holyhead and return with emptys. I know North Wales didn't have such a service but it makes up for the lack of freightliners.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

Those 25s do look good - nice and subtle. I've built a Bachmann 25/3 with similar mods but a few more tweaks to the chassis. Without major rebuilding, we can't correct the fundamental Bachmann errors (windscreens too sharply raked back, with correspondingly shortened cabside windows/too steep quarterlight angle, plus the effects on the size of the windscreens themselves; and of course the two versions to date of the triangular bodyside access panel, one set in a deep trench and the other standing 2" proud of the surrounding bodywork. The Bachmann 25/1 suffers similarly). Hopefully Bachmann will give the model a decent shell and underframe moulding before too long; the chassis remains one of the finest-engineered units available today IMO. My two 25/1s will use much-modified Hornby shells on chopped Bachmann chassis and underframes, although they trail a pair of 37s, a skinhead 31 and a discy 40 on my "to do" list... I've got as far as detailing one shell and acquiring another raw one.

The layout extension looks impressive - I'll be following your progress :)

Those 25s do look good - nice and subtle. I've built a Bachmann 25/3 with similar mods but a few more tweaks to the chassis. Without major rebuilding, we can't correct the fundamental Bachmann errors (windscreens too sharply raked back, with correspondingly shortened cabside windows/too steep quarterlight angle, plus the effects on the size of the windscreens themselves; and of course the two versions to date of the triangular bodyside access panel, one set in a deep trench and the other standing 2" proud of the surrounding bodywork. The Bachmann 25/1 suffers similarly). Hopefully Bachmann will give the model a decent shell and underframe moulding before too long; the chassis remains one of the finest-engineered units available today IMO. My two 25/1s will use much-modified Hornby shells on chopped Bachmann chassis and underframes, although they trail a pair of 37s, a skinhead 31 and a discy 40 on my "to do" list... I've got as far as detailing one shell and acquiring another raw one.

The layout extension looks impressive - I'll be following your progress smile.gif

Hi Jim,

Great to have you back on the new RMweb, I haven't see any posts from you for a while. Are you going to start your layout thread again? I remember seeing your 25 on the old RMweb.cool.gif Apart from bufferbeam pipwork the only work on the chassis I did was to cut in one end of the fuel tank to give it more depth. Peter Johnson did a great article in Rail Express Modeller supp number 7 which help me with doing my rats, though Jim S W has do a major hack on his 25s which are probably the best I've seen. I am happy with mine though, and as you say they run really well.

I am planning on doing a Hornby body on Bachmann chassis,we all have such long "to do" lists.biggrin.gif I do still have a couple of old Hornby locos that run ok, one on a Five pole motor and one with twin three pole motors. They arn't up to my lastest standards as they were repaints from about fourteen years ago. I have kept them as I think the Bachmann 25/1 has the wrong side grilles plus all the other faults.

I was hoping to do more on the extension this weekend, but I have a bad back so have to rest.sad.gif

Cheers Peter,

stunning layout.. very impressed.. cant wait to see more shots of the extension being completed!

Thanks mate,

I will keep posting pics while there is interest plus it keeps me motivated.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Nice to see a goyle on the layout buddy smile.gif i'm quite fond of me 31's

Cheers, Jon.

Hi Jon,

Yeah, I quite like the old Goyles a bit underpowered but they seemed to get the job done. 31323 is my only finished Hornby 31 at the moment although I have another one to do as 31403 my two other 31s are Lima which look quite good but just don't run as well as the new stuff. sad.gif

Cheers Peter,

I dug 25244 today and took a couple of pics. Here's the old girl departing for Bangor on Llanbourne's new Speedlink coal service.

Here's 31323 for you Jon,biggrin.gif ticking over on the headshunt.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12654405259273_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12654407870485_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12654409813478_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12654412201099_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent layout

Love the amount of operating potential and the double 142's!

Thanks mate, Llanbourne is fun to operate. I haven't run the layout properly for a while, recently I have just been running the odd train to test the track on the extension.

CheersPeter,

Lovely 31! Really good weathering job; reminds me of sitting in a BRUTE at New Street and watching the blue 31/4s depart for the east, while the rest of the enthusiast fraternity were watching Hoovers :) Thanks for the memory.

I have a Hornby SD 31/1 with headcode panels which at the moment just needs some more weathering (I've got better at it since I augmented Hornby's factory job) and some tweaking to the CVs to dim the lights a bit, and a Lima skinhead which cost me ??18 on eBay and had never been run. I prefer the Lima shell, I think; something about the subtle angle of the cabside window panels looks better than Hornby's version. Guess I'll find out for sure when the Ultrascale wheels arrive and I've fettled the shell!

25 244 looks great. My own Hornby 25/1 was my first ever refinishing job, and is on that long, long list for a Bachmann chassis and a respray (too faded; it looks like a 70s Panda car!). And a Shawplan scavenger fan grille to replace the A1 Models drainage grid currently fitted :D