Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks for the photos Peter, 535 looks right at home at Llanbourne especially on the fuelling point. Can just imagine it idling away! Will have to get one of those at some point as it does look rather nice.

I bet there were quite a few bashers on board for the 37 working and probably a few disappointed Crompton fans too!

Here are a couple of pictures for you, I am really happy with the 47, though wish Bachmann had done a loco without the flush front both ends. One end would have been better as I would have bought a few more. Anyway for now I am happy to keep 47535 the same number, though I will do a few mods, like remove arieals and cut back the bufferbeam cowling, which I have done on my 47418 currently on the workbench, some extra detail on the underframe should just about do it.

One problem with playing trains this week was when double heading my Heljan 33 with a Bachmann 37, the 37 runs at a much lower speed than the 33, is there a way I can speed up the 37?biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter

Yep, DCC's the way to go, Peter! You know it makes sense. biggrin.gif Get a sound loco or two and you'll never look back.

Couldn't agree more about Bachmann doing a loco without the flush front at both ends. I might have bought a couple of Large Logo ones if they had for conversion to Scottish examples. I'll just soldier on with my trusty Heljans in the meantime though.

Nice pics again by the way!

Cheers

Dave

Waverley West

Thanks for the photos Peter, 535 looks right at home at Llanbourne especially on the fuelling point. Can just imagine it idling away! Will have to get one of those at some point as it does look rather nice.

I bet there were quite a few bashers on board for the 37 working and probably a few disappointed Crompton fans too!

No worries Grimley,

I am thinking of getting the Inter-City 47 next, I just need to get some cash.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Yep, DCC's the way to go, Peter! You know it makes sense. biggrin.gif Get a sound loco or two and you'll never look back.

Couldn't agree more about Bachmann doing a loco without the flush front at both ends. I might have bought a couple of Large Logo ones if they had for conversion to Scottish examples. I'll just soldier on with my trusty Heljans in the meantime though.

Nice pics again by the way!

Cheers

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

Unless I can get the 37 to speed up or even slow the Heljan 33 down, it looks like DCC is the way to go. Just can't afford it.sad.gif

I would be nice if Bachmann took the Heljan idea of locos without names and numbers, I could buy a few more.smile.gif As you say though Dave your Heljan 47s do a good job, they look pretty good to me.biggrin.gif

Here is a pic of47418 on the workbench still plenty to do.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-126966604238_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You could experiment with a resistor or two in the motor circuit on the 33 to slow it down a bit, Pete.

Thanks Jeff,

Sounds cheaper than going DCC,biggrin.gif I will have to look into that.

Cheers Peter,

HI Peter,

Might sound cheeper, But if you excuse the pun does not Sound as nice as a 33 and 37 thrashing its was out of LLanbourne with full sound!!!!

Need to look on Ebay Australia to find a cheap unit to get you started.

Gary in Tas!

Hey Pete it is no more expensive than the Sound fitted loco for the base station. Ie Digitrax Zephyr or the NCE. Then you will be buying chips for a while but you can do them progressively. The same way as SRman and I have done.... WE will even let you on the secrets.... :rolleyes:

Come on in the water's fine B)

You lot, stop ganging up on me, I will happen one day. I do have one sound loco that will do me for know.biggrin.gifA Crompton and a Peak would be good though.laugh.gif

Cheers Peter,

Well, Gary, I have just this minute finished placing an order with Trains on Time for a class 150/1 with Howes' sound fitted. But, if you want something a little different to the usual, perhaps the 86 might be the go. Personally, I love the small to medium Sulzer sounds, and would love a 26 but can't justify one. The 26 would give you something slightly different from the Bachmann 24/25, especially if you bring it over to run on Peter's Llanbourne!   :lol:  Even so, all of your options would sound good!

Pssst! Let's keep "ganging up" on Peter! We've already got the thin end of the wedge in ...   ;)   :icon_wave:

Hi Pete, nice to see another loco on the workbench..slowly gettin through em..!. .You know you will go the `sound chip way` its just a matter of time.wink.gif ..I am almost there clearing the study and putting shelves up ect so can fit a small layout in...it will be about 9` x 2`ish and 80s blue ...I want the whole station, depot ,yard ect but will try not to squeeze to much in ...no DDC or sound (yet) ..to much dosh..(To many other hobbies ,Van, beer you know the score)..so will start with the 03,33,40 and various railfreight wagons I`ve collected over the years , I`m thinking I may have some sort of M.O.D yard/buildings ..anyway watch this space I may start a layout thread, it might be called Durnstown..cheers for now YVM..smile.gif

Hi Pete,

Great to see so many photos added of some very busy scenes at Lanbourne! The 25 sat at the buffer stop is simply superb by the way really captures the atmosphere of your layout so well. I don't want to join in the ganging up on you (I think its know as cyber bullying!) but I did put a Howes chip in my DRS 33 207 model and it is by far my favourite sound chipped loco and is so much fun to operate as once it has gone through the start up and is ready to set off - the breaks come off, the engine revs and moves off slowly and the way I have set it up means I can simply open it right up and the engine burst into life as it slowly gathers speed - you know you want one! Quite a few of the SWD chips now operate on DC albeit a bit limited and not as good as full DCC running but might be an option although personally I really like the Howes chips above anything else.

Thanks,

Mark

What about a large logo 56 with sound on the test train from Crewe????

I have a few locos but not sure what to put sound in next.

Any suggestions SRMAN? 25,26,37,40,47,86 or a class 150?

Gary in Tas.

I think the 26 would sound good depends on what you already have. biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Pete, nice to see another loco on the workbench..slowly gettin through em..!. .You know you will go the `sound chip way` its just a matter of time.wink.gif ..I am almost there clearing the study and putting shelves up ect so can fit a small layout in...it will be about 9` x 2`ish and 80s blue ...I want the whole station, depot ,yard ect but will try not to squeeze to much in ...no DDC or sound (yet) ..to much dosh..(To many other hobbies ,Van, beer you know the score)..so will start with the 03,33,40 and various railfreight wagons I`ve collected over the years , I`m thinking I may have some sort of M.O.D yard/buildings ..anyway watch this space I may start a layout thread, it might be called Durnstown..cheers for now YVM..smile.gif

Hi Bro,

Slowly, you are not wrong there,rolleyes.gif I really need to pull my finger out and get some locos done I have to many sat in boxes.sad.gif

Glad to hear you have made a start in the study, M.O.D sounds good. I am sure if you start a thread you will get plenty of help. biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Pete,

Great to see so many photos added of some very busy scenes at Lanbourne! The 25 sat at the buffer stop is simply superb by the way really captures the atmosphere of your layout so well. I don't want to join in the ganging up on you (I think its know as cyber bullying!) but I did put a Howes chip in my DRS 33 207 model and it is by far my favourite sound chipped loco and is so much fun to operate as once it has gone through the start up and is ready to set off - the breaks come off, the engine revs and moves off slowly and the way I have set it up means I can simply open it right up and the engine burst into life as it slowly gathers speed - you know you want one! Quite a few of the SWD chips now operate on DC albeit a bit limited and not as good as full DCC running but might be an option although personally I really like the Howes chips above anything else.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I have been out in the garage this week playing trains, so thought I should take a few pics I am really happy with my 47 and my 25095 with sound chip has been getting a work out.biggrin.gif I think a sound chip for a 33 is on the cards but it will have to wait as will the DCC. Once I have the stock I need and the layout more finished I will look into it, plus I do have a few O gauge plans.biggrin.gif

I finally remembered to scan class 47975 for you, taken at the North end of Preston. Oct 1990.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-126974065315_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Who said that we were ganging up on Pete? Just because he is sitting at the top of the slid... or is that holding on to the bars for dear life as his fingers start to slip because of buy 1 sound loco... He will go DCC when one system comes up cheap on ebay or at a meeting.

Take your time keep buying decoder fitted loco's then the conversion to the dark side will be complete.... Ha ha ha ha har (in the best Darth vader speech that I can do!) :blink:

Pete when you do all you need to do is ask and we can help. the decoder fitting is not too hard. In the older loco's you will find spending more time getting the lights into them than the decoder. :)

(all in fun)

Who said that we were ganging up on Pete? Just because he is sitting at the top of the slid... or is that holding on to the bars for dear life as his fingers start to slip because of buy 1 sound loco... He will go DCC when one system comes up cheap on ebay or at a meeting.

Take your time keep buying decoder fitted loco's then the conversion to the dark side will be complete.... Ha ha ha ha har (in the best Darth vader speech that I can do!) blink.gif

Pete when you do all you need to do is ask and we can help. the decoder fitting is not too hard. In the older loco's you will find spending more time getting the lights into them than the decoder. smile.gif

(all in fun)

Yes but Doug, the force in strong in me.biggrin.gif Unless as you say a system comes up cheap on ebay.laugh.gif As for older locos I don't really have many left, I sold most on ebay.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

Depends what you call Cheap, Seen some full sets for $199 on ebay for the multimaus set!!!!

Need to get it on your birthday list Pete.

If you want to try it, I could loan you a Lenz set would just need a transformer.

Gary

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting that picture of 47975 - it will be useful when I give it some weathering especially around the underframe and bogies - still might need to move the electrical cable up as well onto the cab front as I have left it on the buffer beam up to now.

Thanks,

Mark

Depends what you call Cheap, Seen some full sets for $199 on ebay for the multimaus set!!!!

Need to get it on your birthday list Pete.

If you want to try it, I could loan you a Lenz set would just need a transformer.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

$199 does'nt seem to bad, I will have to have a think about your offer on the Lenz set.

Cheers Peter,

• Like 1

One loco missing from your North Wales stud.....biggrin.gif

post-6680-12697981294_thumb.jpg

(90039 approaching Abergele on 25th June 2005).

Larry

Hi Larry,

Nice one,biggrin.gif were was that going, to an open day or some such.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting that picture of 47975 - it will be useful when I give it some weathering especially around the underframe and bogies - still might need to move the electrical cable up as well onto the cab front as I have left it on the buffer beam up to now.

Thanks,

Mark

No worries Mark,

The 47s had the ETH sockets in two different places, some were below the bufferbeam and some above as with 975. Some of the Scottish locos had the ETH boxes moved from above the bufferbeam to below bufferbeam to allow ploughs to be fitted.

Cheers Peter,