Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter

Really looking great, everytime i come onto your page for a quick catch up you have pictures from different angles everytime.

Looks superb and the oil terminal section is coming on great

Thanks Neil,

I know what I want to do for the oil terminal now, I have found some pics on Flickr and the latest Rail Express mag was useful too. I just need to get some pipework and make it up.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Peter can I please ask you to stop spoiling us with these high quality images  :beee:

Think of it as extra inspiration.  :locomotive:

Here are a few more. Rude not to have a beer while playing trains.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-65070300-1414578865_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-47076500-1414578918_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-83929500-1414578954_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-06380200-1414579013_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-91065800-1414579053_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-15643500-1414579323_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Peter and I look forward to seeing it all in the flesh soon enough.

Spring sunshine here brought out a bottle of Grand Ridge "Moonshine" while repainting the platforms ;)

Peter, as a silent (up until now) watcher of your thread I have always enjoyed the photos of your railway and I continually check to see if more have been posted. When I saw photo 3 in post 2801 I at first assumed you had photoshopped the seated passenger/spotter into the scene, he looks so real is he a Preiser figure? The weathering on the 25 in the same picture is superb, I can almost smell it!

This is just to let you know that your postings are very much appreciated and that there most be many more out there who just cant get enough BR Blue.

Regards,

Geoff.

Edited by delticman
  • Like 1

Hi Peter

Yet more excellent photographs...and the two previous posts ask the same question I was going to - who produces the figures, especially interested in the one seated on the platform - excellent quality and a totally realistic pose.

Also,I might have missed this - are you modelling the small oil terminal on any particular location?

EDIT

Have re-read the last couple of pages (carefully) and see it's Fort William you're thinking about. That was the one which came to my mind when I first saw the two short sidings filled with TTAs. Might have some photos somewhere, although they'd be dating from the 1990s.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by 60091

Nice work Peter and I look forward to seeing it all in the flesh soon enough.

Spring sunshine here brought out a bottle of Grand Ridge "Moonshine" while repainting the platforms ;)

Thanks Rick,

I haven't tried their Moonshine, might have to put it the list. 

Cheers Peter.

Peter, as a silent (up until now) watcher of your thread I have always enjoyed the photos of your railway and I continually check to see if more have been posted. When I saw photo 3 in post 2801 I at first assumed you had photoshopped the seated passenger/spotter into the scene, he looks so real is he a Preiser figure? The weathering on the 25 in the same picture is superb, I can almost smell it!

This is just to let you know that your postings are very much appreciated and that there most be many more out there who just cant get enough BR Blue.

Regards,

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

Thank you, it's always nice to hear from someone who hasn't posted before. Welcome to the Llanbourne thread, I am pleased you like the pics. There is plenty of BR blue on here, the class 25 is one of my favourites and a great runner. 

Now the figure is a Bachmann it comes in a pack of seated passengers. In stock at Hattons if you want a pack 36-045. I have been adding more figures to the layout and do have a few Preiser ones but they are a bit on the small side.

Cheers Peter.

Love the shot of the two railwaymen talking in the yard, can I ask who they are made by? Thanks also for the further inspiration (beer wise  :jester: )

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I am having a beer while writing this, had a busy day at work so need one.

The figure on the left is by Phoenix models and comes in a pack of I think 4 other station railway workers. They also do a track workers pack which look good too. They are whitemetal so need to be painted. The figure on the right is by Bachmann this was one of their early releases and I haven't seen them available for some time. I wouldn't mind another pack myself.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Yet more excellent photographs...and the two previous posts ask the same question I was going to - who produces the figures, especially interested in the one seated on the platform - excellent quality and a totally realistic pose.

Also,I might have missed this - are you modelling the small oil terminal on any particular location?

EDIT

Have re-read the last couple of pages (carefully) and see it's Fort William you're thinking about. That was the one which came to my mind when I first saw the two short sidings filled with TTAs. Might have some photos somewhere, although they'd be dating from the 1990s.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan,

As I said to Geoff he is a Bachmann mode,l some of their figures are better than others, but the seated passenger pack is pretty good.

I would love some pics of the oil terminal at Aberystwyth being in Wales but the Fort William terminal suits my needs as it's set up is like mine with two short sidings. Their is also a similar one near Inverness which I have a pic of but if you have any pics feel free to post them on here. I do need some close ups of the pipework but I will be happy if mine looks right even if it isn't spot on.

Cheers Peter.

Peter thank you so much for the info on the figures, I will be seeking out the seated ones. I had noticed that you use Kadees on the front of DMUs whereas I like to have the full bufferbeam detailing, and then I thought that operationally it makes more sense to have the Kadees and compromise on the aesthetic. I still dont know wether to fit them then I saw in one of your shots a 101 with full front detail and noticed it was a 3-car, do you only fit Kadees to 2-car sets for multiple working?

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Peter

Here's the terminal at Ft William in 1990.

The pipework running centrally seems to consist of 3 larger pipes with various connection points to discharge the TTAs and 1 smaller diameter pipe. To the left of the tracks nearer the entrance is a very complicated piece of pipework. The small shed probably contained control equipment and switches for the lighting etc.

post-13274-0-44228200-1414678898_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information about the figures... would never have guessed Bachmann.

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 3

Peter thank you so much for the info on the figures, I will be seeking out the seated ones. I had noticed that you use Kadees on the front of DMUs whereas I like to have the full bufferbeam detailing, and then I thought that operationally it makes more sense to have the Kadees and compromise on the aesthetic. I still dont know wether to fit them then I saw in one of your shots a 101 with full front detail and noticed it was a 3-car, do you only fit Kadees to 2-car sets for multiple working?

Regards,

Geoff

No worries Geoff, happy to help.

I have two Lima 101s both are re motored with the better Hornby power unit. I have a two car and a 3 car unit and I have fitted Kadees to one end of each so I can work them in multiple. Since going DCC I haven' t done it so may remove the Kadees.

My 108s are set up the same.

Cheers Peter.

Hi PeterHere's the terminal at Ft William in 1990.The pipework running centrally seems to consist of 3 larger pipes with various connection points to discharge the TTAs and 1 smaller diameter pipe. To the left of the tracks nearer the entrance is a very complicated piece of pipework. The small shed probably contained control equipment and switches for the lighting etc.attachicon.gifPICT0142.JPGThanks for the information about the figures... would never have guessed Bachmann.Alan

Thanks for the pic Alan ,

I haven't seen a pic from that side so didn't know that small pipe was there.

I have room for a pump house so will have some pipe work going into that, not sure if the pipe work would be curved to suit my sidings or short straight sections. I might have a play around once I get some pipe and see how it looks.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the pic Alan ,

I haven't seen a pic from that side so didn't know that small pipe was there.

I have room for a pump house so will have some pipe work going into that, not sure if the pipe work would be curved to suit my sidings or short straight sections. I might have a play around once I get some pipe and see how it looks.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter I have looked at the picture put up by Alan, and I think the smaller pipe could well be a vent pipe that will allow for the tank / fuel / oil pressure to be equalised and released to atmosphere so when delivery is taking place you don't get a vapour / air lock.

Hope this helps

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Hi Peter I have looked at the picture out up by Alan, and I think the smaller pipe could well be a vent pipe that will allow for the tank / fuel / oil pressure to be equalised and released to atmosphere so when delivery is taking place you don't get a vapour / air lock.

Hope this helps

Craig

Thanks Craig,

That does help, thanks. I will post up pics once I get started so you and anyone else can tell me me if I am going wrong.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter I have looked at the picture put up by Alan, and I think the smaller pipe could well be a vent pipe that will allow for the tank / fuel / oil pressure to be equalised and released to atmosphere so when delivery is taking place you don't get a vapour / air lock.

Hope this helps

Craig

I did some work experience at a road oil depot many moons ago. At the time, when empting road tankers into forecourt tanks you always connected the vapour recovery pipe to the tanker. The reasons were twofold: firstly it meant the pressure between the tanker and the tank being filled was equalised and secondly the recovered vapour was returned ot he depot and could then be processed and further hydrocarbons recovered (hence cost saving!). Based on this is imagine the smaller pipe is connected to the rail tankers and the storage tanks for exactly the same reasons.

Cheers

No worries Geoff, happy to help.

I have two Lima 101s both are re motored with the better Hornby power unit. I have a two car and a 3 car unit and I have fitted Kadees to one end of each so I can work them in multiple. Since going DCC I haven' t done it so may remove the Kadees.

My 108s are set up the same.

Cheers Peter.

Thank you for taking the trouble to explain the set-up with the Kadees.

Geoff.

.... Rude not to have a beer while playing trains.

Only one Peter???

Is that a pic of a wagon rescuing a duff????  Well, that's got to be a first - I seem to remember it was most often the other way around :D

Great pics as always, it's like going back in time seeing your pics.

Cheers

Lee

I did some work experience at a road oil depot many moons ago. At the time, when empting road tankers into forecourt tanks you always connected the vapour recovery pipe to the tanker. The reasons were twofold: firstly it meant the pressure between the tanker and the tank being filled was equalised and secondly the recovered vapour was returned ot he depot and could then be processed and further hydrocarbons recovered (hence cost saving!). Based on this is imagine the smaller pipe is connected to the rail tankers and the storage tanks for exactly the same reasons.

Cheers

Thanks for the info Sam, sorry for the late reply had a busy weekend.

Cheers Peter.

Only one Peter???

Is that a pic of a wagon rescuing a duff????  Well, that's got to be a first - I seem to remember it was most often the other way around :D

Great pics as always, it's like going back in time seeing your pics.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee, only the one I don't drink and drive. Lol

Yes the Peak is rescuing the Duff, more 47s failed on me than class 45s. :0)

Cheers Peter.