Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter

Fantastic shots as usual, I'm almost tempted to abandon the steam on my budding 7mm layout and turn it into a South Wales version of Llanbourne only pre TOPS

Ian

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the thread. I have just had a quick look at your 7mm terminus, It's looking pretty good I wouldn't abandon it for 4mm. There is some superb stock out there for you 7mm guys. I must admit to having a Heljan class 37 and a few wagons myself but don't tell anyone.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the thread. I have just had a quick look at your 7mm terminus, It's looking pretty good I wouldn't abandon it for 4mm. There is some superb stock out there for you 7mm guys. I must admit to having a Heljan class 37 and a few wagons myself but don't tell anyone.

Cheers Peter. 

Ha Ha ... does the Wife know ???

Happy modelling

Craig.

Ha Ha ... does the Wife know ???

Happy modelling

Craig.

Lol, Craig there is a bit of a story there. I bought something years ago on the quite and She found out. The you know what hit the fan, and fair enough too. Since then I don't bother hiding anything. 

I am careful with what I spend as we don't generally have a lot of spare cash I try and sell of older stock to replace it with newer items. To go DCC a few years back I sold off all my steam stock.

Luckily these days I really do have enough stock so I don't really need to buy that much, though I do have a class 85 on it's way. But that's another story. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

No, but we might *accidentally* let it slip when we see Peter and Llanbourne this coming weekend! ;)

Hi Jeff, 

If you can make it next Saturday can you bring my Sound chips and chassis. Leanne knows about them too.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Ian,

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Absolutely no intention of moving to 4mm, just, thought a 7mm South Wales pre TOPS diesel version might be a bit different to a 7mm steam layout.

Ian

Hi Peter

Absolutely no intention of moving to 4mm, just, thought a 7mm South Wales pre TOPS diesel version might be a bit different to a 7mm steam layout.

Ian

No worries Ian, Some pre tops diesels would look very nice. you already have a Hymek a few more Hydraulics and a couple of EE type 3s and a Brush type 4 would look very Nice. If you haven't already see it check out Phill Dysons O gauge garden railway thread. Some superbly weathered Diesels on there.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

Lol, Craig there is a bit of a story there. I bought something years ago on the quite and She found out. The you know what hit the fan, and fair enough too. Since then I don't bother hiding anything. 

I am careful with what I spend as we don't generally have a lot of spare cash I try and sell of older stock to replace it with newer items. To go DCC a few years back I sold off all my steam stock.

Luckily these days I really do have enough stock so I don't really need to buy that much, though I do have a class 85 on it's way. But that's another story. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

My partner and I have a deal. She doesn't challenge what I spend on trains and I don't challenge what she spends on shoes and bags.

But...

As any fule kno, all ex-GWR locos look the same so she can't actually tell when a new one appears on the layout. ;)

• Like 1

Cheers Peter.

For a moment Peter, I thought you said you had a class 85 on the way.

Must have misheard...

Glad it's not just me then.  :D

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Two lines of attack here.

1.  If the package has already been seen "It's something I ordered ages ago that's just come into stock" (which is true about half the time anyway) or

2.  If its arrival has gone unnoticed but something running on the layout isn't recognised "No - you haven't seen it before - it doesn't come out very often" ;)

The price I pay for having such a large layout is that SWMBO has artistic control over what she can see of it through her work-room window.  Which is basically the farm scene and any train passing it.

Not sure if you already have one of the LMS Inspection Saloons, Peter, but if you don't I could bring my weathered one on Saturday.  

• Like 2

If the package is seen on arrival, my standard line is "oh, it's just a few bits and pieces, nothing of any interest" (and by implication not very expensive). Package is then opened out of sight and loco box (or whatever) is placed on a pile of identical looking boxes which form my "ready to start" workbench pile. If the package is not seen, then it is simply opened and placed on said pile.

Every now and again of course the pile has to be cleared before it becomes noticeably bigger. But this is greeted as a good thing by the authorities. I find it works pretty well. 

Sometimes of course, I am cornered and the package is opened in full view. As long as these occasions are limited in frequency, I find I can get away with it and laugh off the inevitable "but you said we couldn't afford anything at the moment". I find Rick's line about "it's something I ordered ages ago, I'd forgotten about that" is a good fall-back too and a good one to keep up your sleeve if two locos arrive too close together. 

My partner and I have a deal. She doesn't challenge what I spend on trains and I don't challenge what she spends on shoes and bags.

But...

As any fule kno, all ex-GWR locos look the same so she can't actually tell when a new one appears on the layout. ;)

Mine are all just blue diesels in Leanne's eyes though she does know what a class 37 looks like, apparently they have a face.

Cheers Peter.

For a moment Peter, I thought you said you had a class 85 on the way.

Must have misheard...

Glad it's not just me then.  :D

Cheers

Dave

I may or may not have said that. But  they are a very nice model anyone modelling the BR blue period would be silly not to get one. Especially if they were thinking of building a small layout to run it on.

Cheers Peter.

Two lines of attack here.

1.  If the package has already been seen "It's something I ordered ages ago that's just come into stock" (which is true about half the time anyway) or

2.  If its arrival has gone unnoticed but something running on the layout isn't recognised "No - you haven't seen it before - it doesn't come out very often" ;)

The price I pay for having such a large layout is that SWMBO has artistic control over what she can see of it through her work-room window.  Which is basically the farm scene and any train passing it.

Not sure if you already have one of the LMS Inspection Saloons, Peter, but if you don't I could bring my weathered one on Saturday.  

Hi Rick,

I do have an Inspection Saloon but its not been run so bring along your weathered one along if you like. I am sure we can find something to push it round the layout.

See you Saturday, cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

You are making good progress there.  Like the photos even though I not a Blue diesel modeller.

I was planning to come down this Saturday.  Unfortunately it is a big Friday night as it is my wife's boss' last day and there is an AGM for the Bendigo Trust (Trams, Mine, Discovery....), so there is a AGM to attend and Tea afterwards and then an after party at the boss' house, so a late night.

But I and a friend will be down for Decembers meeting.

I remember driving a white ford Fiesta from Kings cross in London to Hereford on the motorway at 70mph and Jags, Sierra, BMWs zooming past.

An I too have parcels arrive at the front door.

Mark in Bendigo

Edited by Markeg

Peter I see that Leanne has the same method of identification as Lyn... oh its another black one, blue one, green one. No mention of the kits that turn up occationally as she wanders through the front room and goes "what are you building at the moment? then don't you already have one of those?" answer is 2 options... no this is a new one and it has been in the box for a while. Or I'm not happy with the other one so I am building this one better!

Umm reminds me I must do some OO modelling... once I get stuck into P4 building mode it is hard to get on with the OO layout. 

Looks like the blackburn group will make up the numbers on Saturday... I might bring some of the other things along to poke fingers at!

• Like 1

At this stage, I will have Neil and Doug in the car with me, Peter. Awaiting a call back from Roger to see if he wants to come with us too.

I have asked both Neil and Doug to remind me to bring your sound decoders and chassis with me!

Hi Peter,

You are making good progress there.  Like the photos even though I not a Blue diesel modeller.

I was planning to come down this Saturday.  Unfortunately it is a big Friday night as it is my wife's boss' last day and there is an AGM for the Bendigo Trust (Trams, Mine, Discovery....), so there is a AGM to attend and Tea afterwards and then an after party at the boss' house, so a late night.

But I and a friend will be down for Decembers meeting.

I remember driving a white ford Fiesta from Kings cross in London to Hereford on the motorway at 70mph and Jags, Sierra, BMWs zooming past.

An I too have parcels arrive at the front door.

Mark in Bendigo

Thanks Mark,

Sounds like a busy night, I will see you at the next meeting then.

The BMWs still wizz past along with all the Audi's and me in a hire car once I get used to the speed again. 

Cheers Peter.

Peter I see that Leanne has the same method of identification as Lyn... oh its another black one, blue one, green one. No mention of the kits that turn up occationally as she wanders through the front room and goes "what are you building at the moment? then don't you already have one of those?" answer is 2 options... no this is a new one and it has been in the box for a while. Or I'm not happy with the other one so I am building this one better!

Umm reminds me I must do some OO modelling... once I get stuck into P4 building mode it is hard to get on with the OO layout. 

Looks like the blackburn group will make up the numbers on Saturday... I might bring some of the other things along to poke fingers at!

No worries Doug, See you tomorrow. I best get out too the garage to make sure it's all working, I have had a bit of a clean up this week and cleaned the track and wheels.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry chaps - I've been offline for several hours owing to a major service outage affecting phones and internets.  

I shall be there tomorrow.

I don't want to steal the show but if anyone wants to drop into Penhayle Bay on their way back that too can be arranged.  It's not quite 100% (when is it ever? ;) ) but this afternoon's test run was good enough for me.

At this stage, I will have Neil and Doug in the car with me, Peter. Awaiting a call back from Roger to see if he wants to come with us too.

I have asked both Neil and Doug to remind me to bring your sound decoders and chassis with me!

No worries Jeff, Watch your speed on  the freeway there was a bad crash early this week and the cops have been out every day since, plus speed camera's.

Cheers Peter.