Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Sorry chaps - I've been offline for several hours owing to a major service outage affecting phones and internets.  

I shall be there tomorrow.

I don't want to steal the show but if anyone wants to drop into Penhayle Bay on their way back that too can be arranged.  It's not quite 100% (when is it ever? ;) ) but this afternoon's test run was good enough for me.

See you tomorrow Rick, we lost internet last night. :O

Cheers Peter.

Was that the pile-up just round the corner from me?  Five fire trucks and several mobile political slogans ambulances were in attendance

Hi Rick,

Two cars racing on the freeway hit each other both went into the trees two died in one car the other driver taken to hospilal just past the Dromana exit. Judging by the skid marks very high speed.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

The inspection saloon allocated to Penhayle Bay has spent the afternoon inspecting the tracks at Llanbourne

i-8Z2TX5p-L.jpg

i-9PmQLwj-L.jpg

With thanks to Peter and family for hosting another thoroughly entertaining afternoon.  Always a pleasure to visit Llanbourne.

• Like 14

The inspection saloon allocated to Penhayle Bay has spent the afternoon inspecting the tracks at Llanbourne

i-8Z2TX5p-L.jpg

i-9PmQLwj-L.jpg

With thanks to Peter and family for hosting another thoroughly entertaining afternoon.  Always a pleasure to visit Llanbourne.

Niicceee Pics Rick  :locomotive:

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 3

It was a great afternoon, Peter. Thanks for hosting. Llanbourne just gets better and better all the time.

Thanks also to Rick for inviting us to return via Penhayle Bay. Unfortunately, time constraints meant my car load of visitors had to bypass you this time.

I did snap a couple of pics on my phone camera but I haven't uploaded them yet.

Here are a few 'general' photos of Llanbourne, take on my phone camera (an HTC One M7).

Llanbourne22-11-14BRMA-4_zpsd267bd80.jpg

Llanbourne22-11-14BRMA-3_zps7b649e2b.jpg

Llanbourne22-11-14BRMA-1_zpsf39610d5.jpg

Llanbourne22-11-14BRMA-2_zps7b328a24.jpg

For those who were there, my Bachmann class 40 disgraced itself by breaking the end transom on one of its bogies, which meant the whole bogie frame dropped off. I have now repaired that - pics are in my workbench blog.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 14

Thanks  for coming down for the arvo guys, Seems everyone had a good day including Murphy who thinks he's a human and was quite happy sat on a chair at the table watching the food.

Jeff I have fitted the chip to my class 37 and had a play with the class 40 sound while on the class 25 chassis. both are really good but the 37 needs more volume. Can you tell me what CV I need to change for the volume please.

Cheers Peter.

Volume is CV63. Values go from 0 to 192. I'm not sure what it was on by default.

If you haven't modified the speaker, seal it up - I use Blu-Tack to create an enclosure. That should also improve the sound reproduction quality.

Volume is CV63. Values go from 0 to 192. I'm not sure what it was on by default.

If you haven't modified the speaker, seal it up - I use Blu-Tack to create an enclosure. That should also improve the sound reproduction quality.

Thanks Jeff,

I cranked it up to 192 and no difference, I tried two other speakers and no difference. Any idea's.

Cheers Peter.

When you read back CV63, is it giving you a value of 192? Sometimes sound decoders don't respond, correctly if the programming power is down slightly.

Alternatively, any of the following:

Make sure the speaker is a 4 ohm rather than 8 ohm.

Could also try bass enhanced or bass reflex speakers

Larger speakers,

Two 8 ohm ones in parallel.

Sugar cube speakers.

If you are game, dismantle the 37 completely (and I mean 'completely'!) and fit the largest speaker possible into the fuel tank area.

Sound is very much a black art and to get the best, needs a bit of experimentation.

My own 37s all have two speakers: the original rectangular type sealed in with plasticard and Blu-Tack, plus a 20mm round one in one of the nose ends. 

When you read back CV63, is it giving you a value of 192? Sometimes sound decoders don't respond, correctly if the programming power is down slightly.

Alternatively, any of the following:

Make sure the speaker is a 4 ohm rather than 8 ohm.

Could also try bass enhanced or bass reflex speakers

Larger speakers,

Two 8 ohm ones in parallel.

Sugar cube speakers.

If you are game, dismantle the 37 completely (and I mean 'completely'!) and fit the largest speaker possible into the fuel tank area.

Sound is very much a black art and to get the best, needs a bit of experimentation.

My own 37s all have two speakers: the original rectangular type sealed in with plasticard and Blu-Tack, plus a 20mm round one in one of the nose ends. 

Thanks Jeff,

I guess what I don't understand is my 37428 has Biffs sound and standard Bachmann speaker set up, so I thought a V4 chip in my older blue class 37 would work fine with the Bachmann speaker and biffs sound. 

I will have to order some speakers and try a few out, it's something I have been meaning to do, as I need to sort some sound for my class 20 too.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Jeff,

I guess what I don't understand is my 37428 has Biffs sound and standard Bachmann speaker set up, so I thought a V4 chip in my older blue class 37 would work fine with the Bachmann speaker and biffs sound. 

I will have to order some speakers and try a few out, it's something I have been meaning to do, as I need to sort some sound for my class 20 too.

Cheers Peter.

Just a thought, Peter, but what was in the older 37 before? Was it a v3.5 or a v4?

If it has a 100 ohm speaker, it won't break the v 4 decoder but the volume would be rather muted.

Thanks for the meeting on Saturday Peter.  Nice to see your layout again, always a pleasure.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

Glad you could make it down though I didn't get to talk that  much with 29 other people here. 

Let me know how you go with your wagons. I might have some spare Grampus wagon transfers somewhere if you need a few.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Just a thought, Peter, but what was in the older 37 before? Was it a v3.5 or a v4?

If it has a 100 ohm speaker, it won't break the v 4 decoder but the volume would be rather muted.

Hi Jeff,

Tha'ts what I have done. The 37 had a 3.5 as did the chassis I gave you. the v4 came from another class 25 and I thought I tried that speaker last night. Your post made me go and check. What  I thought was a 4 ohm was a 100 ohm I should have looked. Anyway all sorted now and sounding great. I have used your blue tak method too. I will put the body back on tomorrow and look at doing my class 40. I am thinking of putting it in my 97 and get another one at some point for D200.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Neil,

Glad you could make it down though I didn't get to talk that  much with 29 other people here. 

Let me know how you go with your wagons. I might have some spare Grampus wagon transfers somewhere if you need a few.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, 

no probs I know how it is.  I've got started on those wagons already.  Also also ordered some transfers from Parkside last night though.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Peter.

Glad that's sorted. It also accounts for my comments on not sounding the best in the 25 chassis! :D

Hi Jeff,

The 37 is now back together and sounding pretty good. I am going to put the class 40 chip in my 97 tonight. I have also pulled apart my class 25109 and fitted a later 21 pin chassis block from another loco, I have removed the lights for now as 109 is an older body. It has a Biffo 3.5 sound in it and is really quite good.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter, 

no probs I know how it is.  I've got started on those wagons already.  Also also ordered some transfers from Parkside last night though.

Cheers

Neil

No worries Neil, I still have a few Grampus to do myself. I have a spare Cambrian Catfish wagon if you want a crack at one of those.

Let me know if you need any info, I can take a few pics of mine if it helps.

Cheers Peter.