Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter, 

Nice photos as usual. I do like the 40! It's a lovely model. 

I managed to fit a 20x40mm base enhanced speaker in my 24 after removing the internal moulding around the fan (the fan can then be put back in), so you should be able to do the same with the 25. It makes a big difference to the sound. I've fitted a couple recently in my 40 and 58 as well and the difference in sound really does have to be heard to be believed.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Peter, 

Nice photos as usual. I do like the 40! It's a lovely model. 

I managed to fit a 20x40mm base enhanced speaker in my 24 after removing the internal moulding around the fan (the fan can then be put back in), so you should be able to do the same with the 25. It makes a big difference to the sound. I've fitted a couple recently in my 40 and 58 as well and the difference in sound really does have to be heard to be believed.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

The class 25 isn't really too bad but the class 40 probably needs a bigger speaker, problem is I have removed the tanks so I am not sure where I will be able to fit a speaker. I think I need to get a few base enhanced speakers and have a play to get the best out of them.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Dave,

The class 25 isn't really too bad but the class 40 probably needs a bigger speaker, problem is I have removed the tanks so I am not sure where I will be able to fit a speaker. I think I need to get a few base enhanced speakers and have a play to get the best out of them.

Cheers Peter.

The speaker in the 40 I mentioned goes under the fan in the same place as in the 25. If I remember rightly, there isn't a recess in the 40 (unlike in the 24/25) but the bass enhanced speaker still fits. I tried various combinations of speakers but they were all just too quiet, which is saying something for a 40. It's plenty loud enough for me now though!

Hi Peter

In Post #2885, third photo down, who makes the BRUTEs,that can be seen sat on the platform, please?

Regards

Dougie

p.s. Any chance of a close up shot please?

Hi Dougie,

The BRUTEs are a fold up etch by Shirescenes. I will take a few shots when I get the chance.

Cheers Peter.

Very nice Peter, as always!

Any chance of some video action? It would be a shame not to see and hear those Banger Blue machines in action at Llanbourne!!

Thanks Alex,

I don't seem to have much luck with doing video, I will have to have another go at some point.

Cheers Peter.

The speaker in the 40 I mentioned goes under the fan in the same place as in the 25. If I remember rightly, there isn't a recess in the 40 (unlike in the 24/25) but the bass enhanced speaker still fits. I tried various combinations of speakers but they were all just too quiet, which is saying something for a 40. It's plenty loud enough for me now though!

No worries Dave, any pics would be great. I pressume you remove the Bachmann speaker/ fan moulding to do this. It would be good to get the best out of the sound chip, even as it is it's pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

Love the weathering of your loco's & stock Peter, especially 40 135, I really like the oily sheen around the main grills & roof.....is that effect achieved with Gunmetal? :sungum:

Phill :locomotive:

Thanks Phill,

There is a bit of a sheen on the bogies because thats the oil that seeps through from the gear towers. The body sides are pretty much matt and my usual mix of Humbrol black and brown.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I am generally pretty good with what I buy stock wise, as it has to fit my late 85 to mid 87 North Wales layout. But for the past few years I have bought a few class 26s and a split box class 37. Recently I pick up a cheap Lima class 87, and early this week a loco I have wanted for some time arrived. A Bachmann class 85. 

When I first started spotting back in the early 80s Dad used to take us on trips and it would normally end up at Euston. Dad liked the electrics and Euston used to be really busy. I have always liked the class 81s and 85s back in the 80s a few class 83s were still being used on ECS. When Bachmann announced the class 85 it was only a matter of time before I bought one.

I have posted a few pics which might give you an idea of the future exhibition layout I will get round to building one day. I think you will probably guess the location.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-81444900-1417169092_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The 85 is a lovely model, isn't it Peter? I must admit I succumbed too, even though I can't really justify one without catenary on WW. 

My memories of the class are mainly of it racing up and down the WCML through the likes of Carnforth and the northern fells. I always tended to find diesels more interesting but it always amazed me that the hp rating of an 85 was pretty much the same as a Deltic. Electrics just seem to do everything so effortlessly compared with diesels.

Looking forward to seeing yours after weathering. I haven't got around to doing mine yet.

Cheers

Dave

I have posted a few pics which might give you an idea of the future exhibition layout I will get round to building one day. I think you will probably guess the location.

Hi Peter

Mossend... surely not! :)

I also liked the 81s and 85s, I suppose because they were older and there weren't so many of them around. IIRC they used to make an amazing amount of noise when starting.

Like Dave I was also lucky enough to have them for haulage over Shap and Beatock. My final 81 was over Beatock and it was interesting to watch the old loco struggle with 12 coaches on Euston - Glasgow. She'd been pressed into service at Carlisle to replace a failed 86.

Hope it's ok... time for a couple of photos...

post-13274-0-04436300-1417208977_thumb.jpg

85038 Carlisle 1988

post-13274-0-80719400-1417208944_thumb.jpg

Something seasonal. Carstairs 1990. IIRC this was one of their last duties - double heading on heavy freights, usually steel. 

Almost missed the 82s-84s. I caught a few a Crewe before they became extinct and remember the 83s? at Euston on ECS.

....so is it going to be (part of)  Mossend yard? It's the only location I can think of that would bring 85s, 26s and 08s together... the wagons would also be a fairly typical collection for Mossend.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 4

The 85 is a lovely model, isn't it Peter? I must admit I succumbed too, even though I can't really justify one without catenary on WW. 

My memories of the class are mainly of it racing up and down the WCML through the likes of Carnforth and the northern fells. I always tended to find diesels more interesting but it always amazed me that the hp rating of an 85 was pretty much the same as a Deltic. Electrics just seem to do everything so effortlessly compared with diesels.

Looking forward to seeing yours after weathering. I haven't got around to doing mine yet.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

It is a great model, It will be a while before I weather it up though as  few other locos are on the to do list. I just thought while I had the money and they were still in stock I would get one.

Cheers Peter.

I too like the Bachmann 85s. What do you think if they had been dual mode overhead and third rail types? Can I justify one?

;)

Hi Jeff,

You would pretty much have most other loco classes so why not. You could always run it on my exhibition layout when I get round to building it. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Mossend... surely not! :)

I also liked the 81s and 85s, I suppose because they were older and there weren't so many of them around. IIRC they used to make an amazing amount of noise when starting.

Like Dave I was also lucky enough to have them for haulage over Shap and Beatock. My final 81 was over Beatock and it was interesting to watch the old loco struggle with 12 coaches on Euston - Glasgow. She'd been pressed into service at Carlisle to replace a failed 86.

Hope it's ok... time for a couple of photos...

attachicon.gifPICT0107.JPG

85038 Carlisle 1988

attachicon.gifPICT0035.JPG

Something seasonal. Carstairs 1990. IIRC this was one of their last duties - double heading on heavy freights, usually steel. 

Almost missed the 82s-84s. I caught a few a Crewe before they became extinct and remember the 83s? at Euston on ECS.

....so is it going to be (part of)  Mossend yard? It's the only location I can think of that would bring 85s, 26s and 08s together... the wagons would also be a fairly typical collection for Mossend.

Cheers

Alan

10 out of 10 Alan,

Nice pics too, really like the clas 85 and 86 in the snow. I am thinking of trying to get that frosty look about the layout with some snow laying here and there.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-23836900-1417332418_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-04651700-1417332460_thumb.jpg

• Like 10