Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter, I had forgotten about them! Blimey 3 pairs, nice. I need to seriously bolster my 20 fleet, Boxenby has a shortage compared to Llanbourne!

Good work, a 58 will look cracking turning up at Llanbourne. Go ahead, treat yourself, it is Christmas after all!

Superb, how good does 106 look. A nice plain boring BR blue 47, lovely! And as for the 20s, well quality. Snow ploughs really suit the choppers.

Thanks Alex,

Looks like a class 58 is on it's way. It's partly your fault too. :O A few class 20s outbased at Frodingham in the 90s were nearly all plough fitted. I have seen a pic of a few of them at Toton somewhere as I think they went there after being displaced by class 60s.

Cheers Peter.

Done Deal Craig, I need to find a pic of a red stripe class 31 on the Coast now. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

31101 at Rhyl

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5018/5578597506_15fc67cf76_b.jpg

and even 31206 at Llandudno

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3820/12934568664_d9ce5d9dd2_m.jpg

I must stop reading this thread, I'm getting too tempted by blue diesels again!

Ian

Edited by ianwales

Nice Peter. Is that a Bachmann or Hornby brake van? I need a brake van for my flask train. Not really sure what liveries would be suitable for a flask train though.

Cheers

Dave

That's a Bachmann one Dave. I added the air pipes on the side fitted new whitemetal buffers and replaced the axle boxes with the roller bearing type. I have a few others as well I will post up a few pics if you like.

The latest Hornby one has all this detail so would be a good model to get. Liveries suitable for you would be the brown with yellow band down the middle or Railfreight Grey with red band along the top. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

There is something about a un-refurbished BR Blue 31 . . . Its a nice example of a Thornaby depot 31.

Dutch 31s where quite common on flask duties too. Although Hornby has yet to do this livery.

Edited by richierich

Nice Peter. Is that a Bachmann or Hornby brake van? I need a brake van for my flask train. Not really sure what liveries would be suitable for a flask train though.

Cheers

Dave

Round here they weren't fussy on colour. Bauxite, grey, red/grey, grey/yellow, even London Transport red/white. Long as the stove worked !

Merf.

post-1625-0-17798100-1418914327.jpg

The intended livery for flask trains, early 90s.

• Like 5

Done Deal Craig, I need to find a pic of a red stripe class 31 on the Coast now. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

In the Post this afternoon, so they are on their way, funny enough whilst filling out the Customs declaration with the description model train, the Postmaster and I got talking, and it turns out he is a 7mm Modeller !!! .... cough cough, just like I am "NOW"  :drag:

Hope they arrive in Sunny Oz safe and sound, looking forward to seeing them hard at work on Llanbourne.

Diolch yn Fawr ar Nadolig Llawen Pete.

Craig.

Hi Peter, whilst I apologise for influencing your decision and more than happy to share some of the blame, I am delighted to hear that you have a 58 on the way. Good work.

I look forward to seeing your weathering, similar to this one maybe?

5705758129_93b8473c94.jpg

58036 by Tutenkhamun Sleeping, on Flickr

Nice photos Ian and Merf. I did really like 31s in Red Stripe Railfreight, think it suited them well.

Love your model of 323, the weathering is just quality!

Going back to the choppers, I think you are right that they worked around Immingham and Scunthorpe around that time.

Like this:

Lovely!

• Like 4

There is something about a un-refurbished BR Blue 31 . . . Its a nice example of a Thornaby depot 31.

Dutch 31s where quite common on flask duties too. Although Hornby has yet to do this livery.

Thanks Rich,

I think one of the first releases from Hornby was a Dutch liv loco. One of my favourite liveries but out of my time period.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Axel,

I think one of the first releases from Hornby was a Dutch liv loco. One of my favourite liveries but out of my time period.

Cheers Peter.

Yes it was an initial release, R2421 as. 31 110 in BR Dutch. However it is a skinhead (disc code 31) body with the revised radiator grilles and headman fan cowl. It has also been affect to a lessor extent by the mazak chassis issue that R2420 & R2413 suffers from to a great extent. A Dutch headcode box 31 would be useful and more common.

Round here they weren't fussy on colour. Bauxite, grey, red/grey, grey/yellow, even London Transport red/white. Long as the stove worked !

Merf.

attachicon.gif954962 91-06-28.jpg

The intended livery for flask trains, early 90s.

Thanks again Merf,

I think I have a pic of a London Transport liv van at llandudno Jct, if it was in my time period I would get one.

Any shots of a Skinhead class 31 in red stripe liv?

Cheers Peter.

In the Post this afternoon, so they are on their way, funny enough whilst filling out the Customs declaration with the description model train, the Postmaster and I got talking, and it turns out he is a 7mm Modeller !!! .... cough cough, just like I am "NOW"  :drag:

Hope they arrive in Sunny Oz safe and sound, looking forward to seeing them hard at work on Llanbourne.

Diolch yn Fawr ar Nadolig Llawen Pete.

Craig.

Hi Craig,

I will certainly let you know when they arrive and you will see pics of then on Llanbourne.

There was a nice 7mm outside layout built by someone on the North Wales coast. I remember seeing pics of it some time ago but nothing recently.

When I was over in May I had a few hours playing train on my mates 7mm garden railway. These pics might give you some insparation.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-04203100-1419249068_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-40660500-1419249179_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-85043100-1419249244_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-44192900-1419249295_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Peter, whilst I apologise for influencing your decision and more than happy to share some of the blame, I am delighted to hear that you have a 58 on the way. Good work.

I look forward to seeing your weathering, similar to this one maybe?

5705758129_93b8473c94.jpg

58036 by Tutenkhamun Sleeping, on Flickr

Nice photos Ian and Merf. I did really like 31s in Red Stripe Railfreight, think it suited them well.

Love your model of 323, the weathering is just quality!

Going back to the choppers, I think you are right that they worked around Immingham and Scunthorpe around that time.

Like this:

Lovely!

Thanks for the Pic Alex,

I will have to look at a few class 58s and have a good look at the weathering on them before doing my loco. The video clip of the 20s is great, they are really working hard and sounding superb. I am pretty sure there was a Railfreight grey loco with ploughs which would look great sat on Boxenby. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

I look forward to seeing her weathered.

Would it be 20104?

7986819421_0e15f17d09.jpgFrodingham Depot. by Valiantoz, on Flickr

4994862073_7f69a3466a.jpg24/06/1992 - Melton Ross. by 53A Models, on Flickr

Lovely! I plan to model this one with ploughs, oh and a few others!
Some cracking photos on this Flickr page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/84777395@N08/sets/72157637926467634/

Lots of 20s with ploughs!

I have to confess that after all this talk of 58s, two are on their way to Boxenby!....Merry Christmas!

• Like 5