Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Llanbourne at rush hour! It's very busy.

Superb pics of a superb layout, as always, Pete.

Hope you and the Mantle clan had a lovely Christmas.

Thanks Jeff,

Yes Christmas was fine and we have now been invaded tourists so will be staying at home today.

Hope you and Agnes had a good Christmas too.

All the best Peter.

Hi Peter

A belated Merry Christmas... not my favourite time of year. However it's now the 27th so it's time to emerge from under the bed clothes :)

Great photos - once again, especially the two of the Class 25 waiting to depart with the flask. They give good views, in both directions, along the back of the layout. With a lot of stock at Llanbourne the layout looks genuinely busy but never crowded.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Christmas to me is time off work other than that not my favourite time of year either. It gets really busy here this time of year and our normally quite street is fully of tourists who insist in bringing their yapping dogs and think 10.30 at night is a good time to run their Jet ski motor.

All the best Peter. 

Superb pictures as always hope you had a good Christmas

David

Thanks David, Hope you had a good one too.

Cheers Peter.

Always enjoy looking on this thread!!! great modelling..

Thanks Mate,

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Alan,

Christmas to me is time off work other than that not my favourite time of year either. It gets really busy here this time of year and our normally quite street is fully of tourists who insist in bringing their yapping dogs and think 10.30 at night is a good time to run their Jet ski motor.

All the best Peter. 

Ah, the joys (?) of living at the seaside. At least where you are you won't get too many surfers.

Ah, the joys (?) of living at the seaside. At least where you are you won't get too many surfers.

It was pretty choppy out there today, we had some fairly high wind and showers.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

A good offshore blow for you Peter.  Any local surfers must have thought Christmas had come.  

What's that?  Christmas just came?  So it did ;)

Hope you kept safe.  There's a fair bit of tree damage up our way and a lot of gum branches lying around my recently-cleaned (and now un-clean) backyard and layout.

Look what arrived yesterday. 

Both arrived ok with no damage and both ran ok on a DC test track. I will chip them soon.

It's funny how two manufactures have different idea's on the livery. I think the grey on the class 58 is a bit dark and the red too bright which I can fix with some weathering. The grey on the class 31 looks ok next to my repainted Lima model but the red is too dark in my eye's.

Anyway both nice models, thanks Craig.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-69375000-1419933263_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-07211600-1419933322_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

A good offshore blow for you Peter.  Any local surfers must have thought Christmas had come.  

What's that?  Christmas just came?  So it did ;)

Hope you kept safe.  There's a fair bit of tree damage up our way and a lot of gum branches lying around my recently-cleaned (and now un-clean) backyard and layout.

I would guess there would be plenty of surfers down at the back beach, only a few people on kayaks at Safety beach tonight while I was walking the dog.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Real fright grey!

To my eyes the 58 is altogether too dark and the 31 too pale with the grey and waaaaaay too dark on the red.  

I reckon ViTrains (for all their alleged faults) got the RfD 37s about right.

Hi Peter, glad both models arrived safely at the other end of the world ... phew :scared: !!!! 

It is always a scary one sending models so far, and being at the mercy of the Companies handling them.

Enjoy them Peter.

Best regards & thanks for buying them.

Craig. 

• RMweb Premium

It was pretty choppy out there today, we had some fairly high wind and showers.

Cheers Peter.

Yes, I was listening to the cricket on ABC while tidying up and sorting out the new garage (railway room), and they mentioned the weather quite often.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Must say your two new arrivals look very nice indeed. It is quite astounding how different the manufacturers takes are on certain liveries.

What's even more mind boggling is when one manufacturer manages to use different shades of the same livery.

I've got several Rail Blue & Large Logo Bachmann 37s and if you line them up they are all slightly different.

Anyway I've included a photo of freshly painted 37518, in fact so fresh the red was still tacky. Personally I think the Class 58 is the closer of the two.

post-18515-0-25387300-1419939869.jpg

Hope you had a good Christmas.

Cheers

Marcus.

• Like 4

Hi Peter

What's even more mind boggling is when one manufacturer manages to use different shades of the same livery.

I've got several Rail Blue & Large Logo Bachmann 37s and if you line them up they are all slightly different.

Anyway I've included a photo of freshly painted 37518, in fact so fresh the red was still tacky. Personally I think the Class 58 is the closer of the two.

Cheers

Marcus.

Whilst it is slightly odd, it is, to a certain extent, echoing what happened to the prototype as blue was a colour that was very much affected by the sun and weather. I suspect that after a few months in service very few blue locos were exactly the same shade.

Couldn't agree more Westerner. EWS red is one colour that seemed to be affected quickly by the weather. When first painted it was quite bright, but soon toned down to a more maroon colour which is usually how it is modelled.

On real loco's the lighting conditions can make a big difference. As you can see from the picture below the Mainline Blue appears to be significantly darker when seen under artificial light. So much so that I had begun to think that we had got the wrong colour when I started painting it!

post-18515-0-47905100-1419969020.jpg

Below is the same loco a couple of weeks later in full sunshine with the vinyls added. Definitely the Mainline Aircraft blue that people associate with.

post-18515-0-55787300-1419969212.jpg

Cheers

Marcus.

• Like 6

Colour is like Beauty .... It is in the eye of the beholder, a very emotive subject when people start to argue about it.

All our eyes are differing g with regards to shade ... and if you are colour blind ... Well you are stuffed.

Penbwlydd Hapus

Craig

Hi Peter

Must say your two new arrivals look very nice indeed. It is quite astounding how different the manufacturers takes are on certain liveries.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cheers

Marcus.

Thanks Markus,

Just glad Christmas is over.

I have a few Bachmann loco's and coaches with different BR blue, I have given up worrying about it and just try not to put different coached together.

37518 is a beast. and that grey does look closer to the Heljan model but the pic is in the shade.

37219 does look very nice, I remember when the Mainline livery was launched  I was still working on the railway at he time and went to EH depot and saw a freshly painted 37803.

Cheers Peter.

Colour is like Beauty .... It is in the eye of the beholder, a very emotive subject when people start to argue about it.

All our eyes are differing g with regards to shade ... and if you are colour blind ... Well you are stuffed.

Penbwlydd Hapus

Craig

Totally agree Craig,

I was only talking to someone the other day how I think people see colour differently. I think it's a bit like Film or Negs some people see colour like  Fuji film others more Kodak some Agfa. Either way after some weathering the loco's should look fine.

Cheers Peter.

I was at Whitemoor yard yesterday and two GBRf 66s were side by side allegedly in the same new livery- every shade of everything from blue to orange to vinyls was slightly different, despite both being new paint jobs! Ah well, all the more for Bachmann to release... ;)

• Like 2

I was at Whitemoor yard yesterday and two GBRf 66s were side by side allegedly in the same new livery- every shade of everything from blue to orange to vinyls was slightly different, despite both being new paint jobs! Ah well, all the more for Bachmann to release... ;)

Hi Ian

Yes the new loco's and the repaints they have done at EH are totally different. The orange is a whole lot brighter on the New builds. I'm lucky enough to drive for GBRf so have seen it close up. The EH orange almost has a sandy look about it.

Regards

Marcus.

• Like 2

Thanks Markus,

Just glad Christmas is over.

I have a few Bachmann loco's and coaches with different BR blue, I have given up worrying about it and just try not to put different coached together.

37518 is a beast. and that grey does look closer to the Heljan model but the pic is in the shade.

37219 does look very nice, I remember when the Mainline livery was launched I was still working on the railway at he time and went to EH depot and saw a freshly painted 37803.

Cheers Peter.

Hi. Peter

Yes the Mainline Blue was very striking and probably the best looking out of the three pre privatisation companies. Although I did like the LoadHaul scheme. Transrail was a bit of a cop out really.

I didn't realise you were a fellow railwayman. I've been on the railway since 1993 and currently drive for GBRf.

Anyway a Happy New Year to you and your family and hope its a good one.

Cheers

Marcus

Oh forgot to mention 518 was in the shade alright. The thunder was already rumbling in the distance. Dragged out of the shed for some quick pictures and then promptly shoved back in. The drive from Wansford back to Birmingham was an absolute nightmare that night in torrential rain!!

Edited by Marcus 37

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

I hope everyone had a good night.

Thanks to everyone who posted and Liked etc on the Llanbourne thread last year.

All the comments and pics are most welcome and help me keep going when I start to loose interest. I still have plenty to do in 2015. Stock wise there are more loco's and wagons on the workbench I still have other loco's in boxes to do along with more coaches and wagons. On the layout I still need to make the station roof and loco shed, also replace the signalbox and carry on with the extension.

All the best Peter.

• Like 2

Real fright grey!

To my eyes the 58 is altogether too dark and the 31 too pale with the grey and waaaaaay too dark on the red.  

I reckon ViTrains (for all their alleged faults) got the RfD 37s about right.

Hi Rick,

Missed this post from the other day.

I haven't seen the Vitrains in that livery but my 47401 looked pretty good though the yellow looked a bit weak.

Cheers Peter.

Hi. Peter

Yes the Mainline Blue was very striking and probably the best looking out of the three pre privatisation companies. Although I did like the LoadHaul scheme. Transrail was a bit of a cop out really.

I didn't realise you were a fellow railwayman. I've been on the railway since 1993 and currently drive for GBRf.

Anyway a Happy New Year to you and your family and hope its a good one.

Cheers

Marcus

Oh forgot to mention 518 was in the shade alright. The thunder was already rumbling in the distance. Dragged out of the shed for some quick pictures and then promptly shoved back in. The drive from Wansford back to Birmingham was an absolute nightmare that night in torrential rain!!

Thanks Markus,

I quite liked the Mainline Liv and the Loadhaul but never actually saw any in real life as I moved out to Australia in 94.

I worked as a Shunter up Eastleigh East Yard from 89, then down the depot for a bit until i joined a clearance and Maintenance gang which was an experiment by Trainload South East. It involved anything from weed spraying small building works and general Health and Safety jobs like fitting yellow non slip boards on hand points in yards. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rick,

Missed this post from the other day.

I haven't seen the Vitrains in that livery but my 47401 looked pretty good though the yellow looked a bit weak.

Cheers Peter.

Happy New Year to you and the family Peter.  It's nice and hot already!

Here's a ViTrains pair in grey variants then one with the red stripe for comparison.  

i-sWrJPJ5-M.jpg

i-5mtSr3P-M.jpg

• Like 11