Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

The tray holds four 35mm slides though 1 - 3 and spaces are OK.

I usually scan four at a time at 600dpi creating a file size about 2MB in as many minutes for the four slides.

6400dpi will take about an hour per slide and produce a file size of around 200MB but if it's for publication and it's a really good original ......... 

• RMweb Premium

The tray holds four 35mm slides though 1 - 3 and spaces are OK.

I usually scan four at a time at 600dpi creating a file size about 2MB in as many minutes for the four slides.

6400dpi will take about an hour per slide and produce a file size of around 200MB but if it's for publication and it's a really good original ......... 

Thanks Rick, sounds similar to my Epson (different model). I usually scan at 1200 dpi for record purposes or 300 dpi for web uploads.

Sorry Peter, we've gone slightly off your topic here.

Thanks Guys, I did some at your place a few years ago Rick they came out quite well from memory. My friend in the UK who published some of my slides in his books seems to get really good results but I am pretty sure he has a high end machine built for doing negs and slides. 

I posted up a few on Flickr today and they look ok.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

The RX510 will produce publication-quality results.  I've had a couple of mine in print and even from a 1200dpi scan they look good.  What matters is the quality of the original as much as anything.

The RX510 will produce publication-quality results.  I've had a couple of mine in print and even from a 1200dpi scan they look good.  What matters is the quality of the original as much as anything.

I think that is where some of the problem is alot of my old slides are taken on Agfa 200 asa and come out rather grainy, which make anything far off look out of focus though I do have plenty of them too.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, whilst I apologise for influencing your decision and more than happy to share some of the blame, I am delighted to hear that you have a 58 on the way. Good work.

I look forward to seeing your weathering, similar to this one maybe?

5705758129_93b8473c94.jpg

58036 by Tutenkhamun Sleeping, on Flickr

Nice photos Ian and Merf. I did really like 31s in Red Stripe Railfreight, think it suited them well.

Love your model of 323, the weathering is just quality!

Going back to the choppers, I think you are right that they worked around Immingham and Scunthorpe around that time.

Like this:

Lovely!

The weathering is spot on, Not over done, Nice and Subtle and brings  the best on the Model. Overall this is a layout I would aspire to build myself, not sure if I can bring the quality you have done but there are certainly some Attribute I will take over to my one once I get started!!!

Hey Bruv we did use alot of that AGFA stuff , then went on to use FUJI & that cheap KODAchrome64 which was ok .

We did, I do have some nice pics taken with AGFA but it was pretty grainy. My Fuji slides were a bit hit and miss too. Probably more my fault than the film though.

Cheers Peter. 

We did, I do have some nice pics taken with AGFA but it was pretty grainy. My Fuji slides were a bit hit and miss too. Probably more my fault than the film though.

Cheers Peter. 

Back in the early 80s I tried them all! IIRC AGFA slides were always orangy and Fuji had a blue/green colour...or maybe it was the other way around?

I always found Kodak best - the only problem was, it was 64ASA so everything was too dark and impossible to photograph anything moving at speed except in very bright conditions. Later I tried Echtachrome 100 and 200ASA but had several films ruined by poor developing.

After copying my early slides and looking at the results again, it was sad to see how poor so many of them are. I'd throw the original slides away and delete the digital copies if the early 80s stuff wasn't so rare now...and they also remind me of happy days, mostly spent at York, with my Olympus OM1. 

Cheers

Alan

• RMweb Premium

AGFA was always red-biassed and enhanced the red-spectrum meaning stop signals, yellow ends and such like were quite prominent.  I used Kodachrome before AGFA and found that blue-green biassed which left a lot of railway subject looking dismal.  Despite paying attention to storage my AGFA slides have degraded noticeably over the years so I'm thankful I scanned them around 10 years ago which hopefully preserves the images in the condition they were then for longer than the originals might last.

I still take slides.  With only AGFA and Fuji now making slide film I use Fuji Provia 100 as a quality all-purpose slide film.  I've tried 400 but it's grainy for my work (though will suit others better) and I've tried Velvia which doesn't seem to be any better despite being more expensive.  When you add the cost of the film to developing and mounting it's now $3 (£1.65) every time I click the SLR's shutter!

Back in the early 80s I tried them all! IIRC AGFA slides were always orangy and Fuji had a blue/green colour...or maybe it was the other way around?

I always found Kodak best - the only problem was, it was 64ASA so everything was too dark and impossible to photograph anything moving at speed except in very bright conditions. Later I tried Echtachrome 100 and 200ASA but had several films ruined by poor developing.

After copying my early slides and looking at the results again, it was sad to see how poor so many of them are. I'd throw the original slides away and delete the digital copies if the early 80s stuff wasn't so rare now...and they also remind me of happy days, mostly spent at York, with my Olympus OM1. 

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan, You were probably like me in that you would try and buy what was cheaper. I have to agree re the Fuji the blue green did stand out a bit. I quite liked the Kodachrome 64 but it was really a bit slow, I did get some good results.

I still have all my slides even the out of focus and dark ones as you say some of it's well worth keeping. I still have most of my 110 negs and pics.

Only went to York a few times you might like this one.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-46823200-1420610570_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-59082300-1420610604_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-69141500-1420610649_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

AGFA was always red-biassed and enhanced the red-spectrum meaning stop signals, yellow ends and such like were quite prominent.  I used Kodachrome before AGFA and found that blue-green biassed which left a lot of railway subject looking dismal.  Despite paying attention to storage my AGFA slides have degraded noticeably over the years so I'm thankful I scanned them around 10 years ago which hopefully preserves the images in the condition they were then for longer than the originals might last.

I still take slides.  With only AGFA and Fuji now making slide film I use Fuji Provia 100 as a quality all-purpose slide film.  I've tried 400 but it's grainy for my work (though will suit others better) and I've tried Velvia which doesn't seem to be any better despite being more expensive.  When you add the cost of the film to developing and mounting it's now $3 (£1.65) every time I click the SLR's shutter!

Hi Rick,

I never really noticed AGFA being red-biassed. I was pretty happy to have a half decent back in the day though wise I had bought a better camera instead of buying beer and model trains.

I will have to check my AGFA slides they don't seem to have degraded but then I haven't looked that closely at them.

Cheers Peter.

I spend a couple of nights on York station in the summer of 76/77 , and utilised the nice waiting room on the west end of the island platform (very cosy).

I remember being woken by a Deltic shunting parcels vans around at 3am!!!

HST's were just taking over if I remember rightly, so 55's were relegated a bit.

I used Ilford 100ASA film, pictures always seemed a bit over exposed, but I was never a brilliant photographer, so it was probably me!!!

Great pictures Peter.

Jinty ;-)

I spend a couple of nights on York station in the summer of 76/77 , and utilised the nice waiting room on the west end of the island platform (very cosy).

HST's were just taking over if I remember rightly, so 55's were relegated a bit.

I used Ilford 100ASA film, pictures always seemed a bit over exposed, but I was never a brilliant photographer, so it was probably me!!!

Great pictures Peter.

Jinty ;-)

76/77 Blimey Jinty your showing your age now mate lol.....i was only born in sept 77.

Terry

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty

I think me & my mates used the same B&B for 1983 class 40 Silver Jubilee tour York to Euston with pair of 40's. Up on the Shrewsbury York Mail which was rammed so the over head rack was used!! Remember it being a class 31 I think.

York was one of the more cosy over nights compared with others!!

Stu

Nice shots. Single 20 nose leading was uncommon by the blue era.

Thanks Rick, I saw a few over the years but only a handful if that. One was a Scratch move from Haymarket to Edinbough  hauling a failed DMU I have a pic somewhere, typical scottish weather though, peeing down.

Cheers Peter.

I'm guessing the photos at York where taken in somewhere between 1986-1988?

20s where used around York singularly, especially on trips to the Layerthorpe freight branch.

Hi Rich,

The pics would have been late 85 early 86 I think, I do remember calling in at York on the way back from Scotland and seeing a single class 20 shunting about down near the South of the station. I remember this quite well because we saw a Peak numbered as a 97 and my slide film was lost in the post, that would have been 1987.

Cheers Peter.

York was one of the more cosy over nights compared with others!!

Stu

Hi Stu,

Yes, it was, the worst in my mind was Leeds, where I had to spend an enforced stop over!!!!

Terry,

I was only 14 then, went with my elder brother, but I'm still very young at heart though!!!

Jinty ;-)

• Like 1

Great pictures Peter.

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty,

I think you might be older than me mate, I was only 9 in 1977. I do remember seeing Deltic's I had an Auntie and Uncle who lived in North London about 10 minutes walk from the ECML. I remember going down to the park with Dad and waiting to see my first HST.

My friends dad used Ilford film he also used to develop his own B&W aswell.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

76/77 Blimey Jinty your showing your age now mate lol.....i was only born in sept 77.

Terry

Just a Pup then Terry. You would have better memories of the sector period than BR blue. At least you had more loco's about than what you have now.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes I am older than you then, '62 vintage I am!!!!

My Brother used to develop and print both of our films, but as I said, I was never the best photographer.

It's only since the onset of digital cameras that I've taken more of an interest in it. If I'd of done so in my younger years, I might of had some good images to share now, like some of the ones on here!!!!!

Jinty ;-)