Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Pete,

27/6/81 40057 1A73 1605 Llandudno to Euston Mk3 air cons & was unbearable by the time it got to Prestatyn, it was wedged solid!!!

&

30/5/82  40091 1K38 1748 Llandudno to Stoke was Mk2 coffins

By the way 122 looks ace

Stu

Thanks Stu,

I have seen a pic of D200 working a Euston service somewhere, it was in it's last year of service and had a different paint job. 

Cheers Peter.

Nice to see the green 40 out bruv..& have you got some new` spotters` on ya Platform?

Thanks Mate,

The spotters have been there for a while, I need to put some more people on the platform I have some too do they just need painting.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

47515 has arrived on an Inter City service, before going onto the fuel point the shunters have asked the driver to pick up a couple of empty fuel wagons to make less work for 08695 once it has been released from the block oil train. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi

Must have been a midland man, I can imagine the drivers response if he had been a Landore man the shunter would have had a number of fleas in his ear!

Ian

Hi

Must have been a midland man, I can imagine the drivers response if he had been a Landore man the shunter would have had a number of fleas in his ear!

Ian

Hi Ian,

I worked at Eastleigh East yard and then the depot for a few years and  most drivers were ok if asked to do a quick shunt. It would normally save time and we would do our best to get the driver and loco out of the yard ASAP. We did get the odd driver that would say no.

I had a Westbury driver go off at me because I asked him to set back up the yard to save me doing a run round move in the carriage sidings. The train was a class 37 and 3x Salmon bogie wagons. I explained all we had to do was ring the panel and get the road then set back up the yard and straight into the PAD and that the road was set.

He said that wasn't the way they did things on the Western region. So I said ok then we will run round. I explained it might take a while as we would have to get the road from the panel at each end of the run round move which could take a while plus time for me to uncouple then hook back up again. 

This was a bit of a lie as their were hand points at the portsmouth end of the carriage sidings. Anyway the driver saw my point of view and we pushed back up the yard and they went back to Westbury LE. 

It's possible the driver at Llanbourne is a local so doesn't mind helping out. You never know he might be booked on the yard shunter next week and having the fuel tanks shunted would save him some work leaving more for drinking tea.

Cheers Peter.

Nice pictures as always

David

Thanks David, Glad to see you still dropping by for a look.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

Hi Peter

Things don't change, a few weeks ago I had a early running freight which I wanted to loop to let a high speed pass, the driver stopped at the entrance signal and demanded to know why I was looping him, then promptly refused catagorically to go into the loop because "he wasn't booked in the loop on his diagram!

Ian

Hi Peter

Things don't change, a few weeks ago I had a early running freight which I wanted to loop to let a high speed pass, the driver stopped at the entrance signal and demanded to know why I was looping him, then promptly refused catagorically to go into the loop because "he wasn't booked in the loop on his diagram!

Ian

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear the signalman gets a hard time now and then. Most of the EH drivers were pretty good back in the day.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Morning Peter, You must have been at Eastleigh at about the same time George T and I were there spotting and Photographing. Great pics above again and some nice stories for the pics and Life as you knew it at Eastleigh.

Morning Peter, You must have been at Eastleigh at about the same time George T and I were there spotting and Photographing. Great pics above again and some nice stories for the pics and Life as you knew it at Eastleigh.

Thanks Andy,

I am always looking at peoples pics of Eastleigh taken in the early 90s just in case I see myself in a cab or walking around. 

For a while I was down at the station most mornings as we were dragging trains from the Carriage sidings over to the Romsey branch due to the Groundframe being out of action. 

I remember seeing plenty of spotters on the platform back then I just wish I had my camera some days as there was some very interesting stuff around.

I do remember walking out of the shunters cabin one day to take the Ex Dinton MOD train up  one of the reception roads and to release the loco. The surprising thing was that it wasn't the normal class 47 but an NSE liv class 50. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Lovely, and coincidence that I've just got my PAIR of Rats out yesterday for some pics and then got waylaid so will do some later for Bitton.

Lovely atmosphere Peter.

Thanks Andy,

It wouldn't be North Wales without a few Rats. 

Cheers Peter.

It wouldn't be North Wales without a few Rats.

No you're quite right Peter, it wouldn't.

25059 is especially nice.

I remember standing with my Dad overlooking Colwyn Bay goods yard and a 24 on what I think was a 'pick-up' goods (I'm sure it was still so in the very late 60's/early 70's), and then the rattle of the engine as it went under the bridge and climbed out up towards the Junction.

Gone is the yard now, I think that area is the shopping centre and car park!!!

Great pictures, nice mixed rake with the 45 as well.

Jinty ;-)

No you're quite right Peter, it wouldn't.

25059 is especially nice.

I remember standing with my Dad overlooking Colwyn Bay goods yard and a 24 on what I think was a 'pick-up' goods (I'm sure it was still so in the very late 60's/early 70's), and then the rattle of the engine as it went under the bridge and climbed out up towards the Junction.

Gone is the yard now, I think that area is the shopping centre and car park!!!

Great pictures, nice mixed rake with the 45 as well.

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Jiny,

I know the spot you mean I have a nice pic in a book showing a class 25 about to leave with a couple minerals.

25059 is an old Hornby body I did years ago now running with a Bachmann power unit. It's one of my favourite models at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

The first new traction for 2015 arrived last week. It looks quite good sat on the platform with a couple BRUTES.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-73836100-1425285985_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-44570500-1425286027_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-07979700-1425286062_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 18

Peter, is that tractor the Bachmann model ?  First I have seen of it, must get some, very nice.

Merf.

Hi Merf,

It is, you get two in a pack. I think it looks pretty good. I will take a few more pics if you want.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Jiny,

I know the spot you mean I have a nice pic in a book showing a class 25 about to leave with a couple minerals.

Cheers Peter.

I know the spot also, my grandad used to take me there in my pram to watch the trains shunt the wagons, the heat and noise from the Locos as they went right under your feet certainly made a real impression on me & it's probably why I'm coming up to 33 years on the railway!

Very found memories of that spot indeed.

Stu

• Like 1

Yes, me too Stu. Last train I remember from the yard was our Mole Plough in 1978, did he coal last a bit longer ?

33 years, don't time fly. !!

Thanks Peter, I shall just get a pack.

Merf.

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

I need some advise re my sound class 40. The pic below shows how I have fitted the speaker and it sounds pretty good but a bit fuzzy if that makes sense. While it was sat ticking away on my layout last night I covered the fan grille with my fingers and the sound improved.

I am thinking maybe I should turn the speaker upside down, or box in the top. What do you think.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-08721600-1425555527_thumb.jpg

• Like 2