Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hello Peter, That fan is not stuck to the speaker is it? Because that would distort the sound as the speaker cone is trying to move up and down. Might be better to stick the fan to the underside of the grille and ensure it doesnt foul the speaker.

Geoff.

Hello Peter

"I am thinking maybe I should turn the speaker upside down, or box in the top. What do you think."

It looks like you've stuck the fan to the speaker box edges ? so it's unlikely the speaker cone will move far enough to actually hit it etc. As it's already a sealed enclosure speaker (bass enhanced) it's also unlikely boxing in the top would help any. Does this 40 use the latest Bachmann chassis and bodyshell ?  If so, using a 28mm round speaker (with ohms to suit the decoder) will give a very good and loud sound   IF ? it's the latest 40 body, a 28mm round fits straight into the existing mounting in the bodyshell roof, but it's doubtful you'd get the etched fan in between also ? 

I've got a Howes 8pin V3.5 via an 21/8pin adaptor with 28mm round 100ohm in my 40 141 and I'm very pleased indeed with it.

Regards

Ken

PS  Your layout just gets better every time I catch up on the thread, and the quality photos show it off really well.

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 2

Station area looks great :locomotive:

Absolutely! I can see myself, back in the day with trusty Pentax in hand, explaining to that Ticket Inspector that I wasnt intending to travel on that DMU but just going to the platform end to photograph those lovely semaphores!

Geoff

• Like 1

Hello Peter, That fan is not stuck to the speaker is it? Because that would distort the sound as the speaker cone is trying to move up and down. Might be better to stick the fan to the underside of the grille and ensure it doesnt foul the speaker.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff,

I fired up the sound with the body off last night and it doesn't touch but it is close. I have turned the speaker upside down and used bluetak to stick the fan to the back of the speaker.

It is certainly better than it was.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter

"I am thinking maybe I should turn the speaker upside down, or box in the top. What do you think."

It looks like you've stuck the fan to the speaker box edges ? so it's unlikely the speaker cone will move far enough to actually hit it etc. As it's already a sealed enclosure speaker (bass enhanced) it's also unlikely boxing in the top would help any. Does this 40 use the latest Bachmann chassis and bodyshell ?  If so, using a 28mm round speaker (with ohms to suit the decoder) will give a very good and loud sound   IF ? it's the latest 40 body, a 28mm round fits straight into the existing mounting in the bodyshell roof, but it's doubtful you'd get the etched fan in between also ? 

I've got a Howes 8pin V3.5 via an 21/8pin adaptor with 28mm round 100ohm in my 40 141 and I'm very pleased indeed with it.

Regards

Ken

PS  Your layout just gets better every time I catch up on the thread, and the quality photos show it off really well.

Hi Ken,

Always good to hear from you, As I said to Geoff the fan wasn't touching anything. I have turned the speaker upside down and it's a lot better.

It is the newer chassis and did come with round speaker but wasn't as good as the base speaker I put in. Mine has Bifs sound which I quite like.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Peter.

Absolutely! I can see myself, back in the day with trusty Pentax in hand, explaining to that Ticket Inspector that I wasnt intending to travel on that DMU but just going to the platform end to photograph those lovely semaphores!

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I had a Praktika back in the day, I would have been off down to the depot to get a few pics then back for a bit of haulage on a class 45.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Always good Peter.  Hope the fuzzy 40 can be fixed easily.  That's not my area of expertise!  

Thanks Rick it's all pretty new to me but I think I have sorted it.

Cheers Peter.

Nice updates bruv, the yellow platform tractor on the brutes is excellent!... looks like i`m out to , spotted my van heading over the bridge :)

Thanks Mate,

The platform tractor is a bit of a beast. I was quite pleased when Bachmann said they would bring one out.

Your yellow van is on the bridge. You are going to park up the road and come back to the bridge for a pic of D200. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-23044600-1425679779_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Love the latest set of photos Peter, is the TPO a Southern Pride kit, it looks fantastic?

Thanks Rob,

The TPO is a stowage van and is a Southern Pride kit, I have another almost finished but it's been that way for years as I have a couple of the Bachmann TPO sorting vans.

Cheers Peter.

Agreed - great set of pics Peter :good:

Think that pic of the 40 just needs a further minor crop at the top left to not reveal the back scene ;)

Hi Pete,

Hope you are well, I had a play and cropped the pic.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-43336100-1425883745_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice Peter, loving the 25. Didn't see many of them as they were just being withdrawn around the time we went out and about.

Good to see D200 being put to good use!

Thanks Alex,

I saw a few 25s and managed to get a few pics but not many. D200 is getting some use as it's fresh off the workbench so a bit of a favourite at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

Ah, I dont care what anyone says. Those heady days of blue & grey coaches, blue diesels were simply the best. Love seeing D200 on more mundane traffic too. I remember riding across the S&C in 1983 with her just after refurbishment with the brass horn grilles still shining.

I only have a Lima one, but do get it out occasionally.

• Like 1

Ah, I dont care what anyone says. Those heady days of blue & grey coaches, blue diesels were simply the best. Love seeing D200 on more mundane traffic too. I remember riding across the S&C in 1983 with her just after refurbishment with the brass horn grilles still shining.

I only have a Lima one, but do get it out occasionally.

Thanks Craig,

Yes the good old days of BR blue. though it was good to see some of the new liveries that started to appear later on in the 80s.

I still have my Lima D200 too I am quite fond of the Lima class 40s so my Lima model will sit in a display case.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter. Yes I agree. My five shades of grey have amused some folk on facebook lately! Railfreight / Inter-city etc....

It's just amazing the comraderie locomotive working brought compared to nowadays. No orange clad shunting staff diving in between to couple up, no diesel shunters bumbling around. No parcel vans or pick up freights.

I must get a Bachmann "tug" for my 10 commandments brutes too!

• Like 1