Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

I have to say that, at its best, the BR blue could look sparkling when fresh and in bright sunshine. On the other hand, on a grey day in the dead of Winter, after numerous trips through the chemical washes BR were using, it could look deadly dull!

I liked the blue/blue and grey livery but after nearly 20 years where everything was uniform, it got a bit boring, which is where the new executive livery started to add a bit of colour and variety again, followed by some of the other sectorisation liveries. The first Provincial blue livery on Sprinters and Pacers was quite startling to the eyes after the BR blues we were used to! :D

• Like 2

Hi Peter. Yes I agree. My five shades of grey have amused some folk on facebook lately! Railfreight / Inter-city etc....

It's just amazing the comraderie locomotive working brought compared to nowadays. No orange clad shunting staff diving in between to couple up, no diesel shunters bumbling around. No parcel vans or pick up freights.

I must get a Bachmann "tug" for my 10 commandments brutes too!

Hi Craig,

Must admit I enjoyed my time as a shunter though that wasn't until until the 90s it was still fairly busy but nothing like the 80s.

You get two tugs in one pack. they will look nice sat on your platforms.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I have to say that, at its best, the BR blue could look sparkling when fresh and in bright sunshine. On the other hand, on a grey day in the dead of Winter, after numerous trips through the chemical washes BR were using, it could look deadly dull!

I liked the blue/blue and grey livery but after nearly 20 years where everything was uniform, it got a bit boring, which is where the new executive livery started to add a bit of colour and variety again, followed by some of the other sectorisation liveries. The first Provincial blue livery on Sprinters and Pacers was quite startling to the eyes after the BR blues we were used to! :D

Hi Jeff,

I remember seeing some very faded and very tatty locos back in the day it was nice to see some of the new liveries but I didn't like the 150s and 142s when they came out as it meant the end of a lot of loco hauled trains. Having said that I like the models the liveries bring a bit of colour to Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Holes. one big one and a couple of small ones.

This time last week the garage was fitted with an air con unit which my wife arranged for my birthday.

A big hole was cut into the wall and even though I covered the layout with a bust sheet brick bust did get everywhere, I spent some of Sunday cleaning up but didn't get much done as I had Gout in my foot which meant I spent the rest of the weekend and the first part of last week on a walking stick.

The drugs kicked in by Wednesday and I was moving around without the stick. A few days of work allowed me to tidy up but while the layout was in a bit of a mess I dug a few more holes for Kadee magnets. 

I thought I had enough in the new section but while operating the other week realised I needed to add a magnet to the headshunt. The other two went into the yard which has had some cheap magnets that just didn't really do the job and has been giving me the sh1ts for years. The ballast has now been painted and it's all back to how it should be.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-14186500-1426298379_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-40406500-1426298421_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-01230500-1426298471_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-56045300-1426298536_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-14374300-1426298588_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The dreaded gout.  It strikes me two or three times a year and darned painful it is too.  The only medication has a "do not drive" warning and gives me a fuzzy head meaning I can't work if I'm force to take it.  Otherwise it's drink shed-loads of water and stay near enough to the facilities.  I've managed to only lose two days work in ten years though getting shoes on can be excruciating and standing all shift goes well past the pain barrier.  You certainly have my sympathies on that score!

I'll weigh in on the b/g theme as well and agree with Jeff that if it was well kept and fairly fresh it looked good and stood out from almost any surroundings.  But let go, dirty and on a dull winter's day it was drab.  I'm not a fan of many of the recent more artistic liveries - the Southern one is about the best there is currently though enjoy it while you can as whisper has it that too will become plain white with green doors to match the boring Thameslink style the new franchisee has adopted.

Nice to see the shed finally getting the air-con it deserves.  A good birthday present.

• Like 3

Peter do you want to send me the size of the doors as I have some at work that might be more insulating than the tin ones. The set I have spare are 2.4 x 2.4 sliding... Bit of tlc and paint and they are free for pick up I think. If you are chasing things for buildings remember to talk to me as I can keep an eye out!

Doug

• RMweb Premium

A big hole was cut into the wall and even though I covered the layout with a bust sheet brick bust did get everywhere

Well Peter, if the sheet was bust it's no wonder the dirt got in. Whose bust got in with it though? :jester:

The dreaded gout.  It strikes me two or three times a year and darned painful it is too.  The only medication has a "do not drive" warning and gives me a fuzzy head meaning I can't work if I'm force to take it.  Otherwise it's drink shed-loads of water and stay near enough to the facilities.  I've managed to only lose two days work in ten years though getting shoes on can be excruciating and standing all shift goes well past the pain barrier.  You certainly have my sympathies on that score!

I'll weigh in on the b/g theme as well and agree with Jeff that if it was well kept and fairly fresh it looked good and stood out from almost any surroundings.  But let go, dirty and on a dull winter's day it was drab.  I'm not a fan of many of the recent more artistic liveries - the Southern one is about the best there is currently though enjoy it while you can as whisper has it that too will become plain white with green doors to match the boring Thameslink style the new franchisee has adopted.

Nice to see the shed finally getting the air-con it deserves.  A good birthday present.

Hi Rick,

It is pretty painful, The drugs I had just give you a bad gut. but normally work after a few days. 

Cheers Peter.

Peter do you want to send me the size of the doors as I have some at work that might be more insulating than the tin ones. The set I have spare are 2.4 x 2.4 sliding... Bit of tlc and paint and they are free for pick up I think. If you are chasing things for buildings remember to talk to me as I can keep an eye out!

Doug

Thanks Doug,

I will have a look and get back to you.

Cheers Peter.

Gout is very painful. I can't say my attacks have been as bad as Peter's or Rick's, but when the doctor gave me some tablets they were too rough on my stomach. He had to prescribe something milder. Fortunately for me, my gout attacks are rare.

Well Peter, if the sheet was bust it's no wonder the dirt got in. Whose bust got in with it though? :jester:

Hi John,

I really should check my posts before hitting enter.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Doug,

I will have a look and get back to you.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Doug,

Sorry I haven't been in touch. My doors are 2.4 high but each one is 1.5 wide. I had the Air con on today for a bit and it makes a difference. So probably don't need new doors anyway. they don't get the Sun either which helps.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, Nice Magnets and A/C , sorry to about the Gout, very painful I believe.

Thanks Andy, 

Sorry for late reply. The Gout is painful but I am all good now. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Gout is very painful. I can't say my attacks have been as bad as Peter's or Rick's, but when the doctor gave me some tablets they were too rough on my stomach. He had to prescribe something milder. Fortunately for me, my gout attacks are rare.

Hi Jeff, 

Sorry for late reply, It's surprising how many people actually get it. The tablets are pretty bad though, but a least the pain goes in a few days.

Cheers Peter. 

I have painted the trackwork where I put the magnets the other week and it hard to tell where the new ballast is now.

I have started to build the bridge that forms the scenic break from the layout to the fiddleyard I have started with the girder sections which go over the yard and carriage sidings and hopefully during the week I will make a start on the arched bridge section that goes over the mainline.

I have also been drawing trackplans on some cardboard for a future layout but more of that later.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-10643500-1427025464_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-09407300-1427025499_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-36184400-1427025562_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-21756800-1427025602_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I have painted the trackwork where I put the magnets the other week and it hard to tell where the new ballast is now.

I have started to build the bridge that forms the scenic break from the layout to the fiddleyard I have started with the girder sections which go over the yard and carriage sidings and hopefully during the week I will make a start on the arched bridge section that goes over the mainline.

I have also been drawing trackplans on some cardboard for a future layout but more of that later.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, are those Atlas girders?

Peter, are those Atlas girders?

Hi John,

They are by Wills. They are a kit you have to stick two sides together then join them up so you can choose the length you want.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

That's a nice looking bridge you're building there, Peter. I'm sure that A/C is going to make your life a lot more comfortable too!

Sorry to hear about your gout. Sounds nasty. Glad to hear you're feeling better though (and fingers crossed that you still are!). Is it more common down under? It not something I've heard about too often.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

They are by Wills. They are a kit you have to stick two sides together then join them up so you can choose the length you want.

Cheers Peter.

Ah, I've got some of those but haven't used them yet. Like yours, they will probably become part of a road-over-rail bridge. I've got some Atlas girders which will sit on Wills piers to make Nancegwithey Viaduct.

Thanks.

That's a nice looking bridge you're building there, Peter. I'm sure that A/C is going to make your life a lot more comfortable too!

Sorry to hear about your gout. Sounds nasty. Glad to hear you're feeling better though (and fingers crossed that you still are!). Is it more common down under? It not something I've heard about too often.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Thought I better get cracking with the bridge after seeing yours, so thanks.

The Air con will be great come summer, it's no good at the moment though as it seems to have gone from Summer to Winter in a few days. It was quite cold here today I almost got the fire going when I got in from work.

Not sure if Gout is more common here or not. I am all good at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

Ah, I've got some of those but haven't used them yet. Like yours, they will probably become part of a road-over-rail bridge. I've got some Atlas girders which will sit on Wills piers to make Nancegwithey Viaduct.

Thanks.

No worries John,

Their will be a narrow gauge railway going over my bridge, it is North Wales after all.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2