Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

More great pictures of the 25s and 31's. Really like the subtle weathering which gives them that work stained look but not absolutely filthy. Superb work. Not long now until those 37 pictures appear. I'm getting all excited at that prospect.

Cheers

Marcus

Yes 31's are great, I have managed to acquire 2 x N gauge 31 bodies which I intend to do in petroleum and RF grey, just need a chassis (will make the petroleum one a dummy). Your pics give great inspiration for them!

• Like 1

Thought these pics may be appropriate, both taken by myself at Prestatyn.

post-28743-0-83159900-1458642526.jpg

31 184 almost ex-works in early Railfreight colours working a dozen or so Mermaids near Rhyl Sands in 1986.

post-28743-0-39634400-1458642290.jpg

37 692,immediately ex Crewe works on test piloting 47 615 (on the afternoon Euston train I think), pulling out of Prestatyn. 28.1.87.

Please excuse the quality as they were photographed to my phone rather than scanned.

Hope they are of interest.

Martyn.

• Like 7

Lovely collection of 31's, my favorite is 31319 in Railfreight grey.

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Noticed you have got yourself a nice banger blue beast. looks good.

Cheers Peter.

I agree. The 31s are very evocative of the era. Though I much prefer the original Railfreight version to the red stripe variant.

Hi Jim,

I have a red stripe one to do. I am having second though, as I was going to just renumber a Skinhead Hornby model but now I am thinking of painting that blue and doing it 31444 I have another one that's in primer and that was going to be a 31/4 but I am thinking that would be better in red stripe.

Cheers Peter.

More great pictures of the 25s and 31's. Really like the subtle weathering which gives them that work stained look but not absolutely filthy. Superb work. Not long now until those 37 pictures appear. I'm getting all excited at that prospect.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus,

Weathering is something I try a get right, I have banged on about it before but I see too many models that are overdone. 

Class 33's next then 37's. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Yes 31's are great, I have managed to acquire 2 x N gauge 31 bodies which I intend to do in petroleum and RF grey, just need a chassis (will make the petroleum one a dummy). Your pics give great inspiration for them!

Thanks Cav,

Looking forwards to seeing them, having a dummy with save you a few quid too. 

Cheers Peter.

Thought these pics may be appropriate, both taken by myself at Prestatyn.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160322_102808.jpg

31 184 almost ex-works in early Railfreight colours working a dozen or so Mermaids near Rhyl Sands in 1986.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160322_102019.jpg

37 692,immediately ex Crewe works on test piloting 47 615 (on the afternoon Euston train I think), pulling out of Prestatyn. 28.1.87.

Please excuse the quality as they were photographed to my phone rather than scanned.

Hope they are of interest.

Martyn.

Thanks for the Pics Martyn,

I do like the old Mermaid wagons too. They seem to be pretty common on the coast. Feel free to post up others.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the Pics Martyn,

I do like the old Mermaid wagons too. They seem to be pretty common on the coast. Feel free to post up others.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, happy to do so, as I use the rmweb mobile site mainly its a bit of a pain posting photos or even "liking" a post without swapping to the main site.

Really enjoying your posts!

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

More great photos, Peter, but that one of 33026 on the fuel point had me looking twice, it's so realistic!

Peter,

awesome Crompton snaps!  The picture of '026 had me foxed  - it was only the kaydee that gave the game away eventually.  Inspirational stuff - thank you.

Best wishes,

Paul

I agree completely, it was just the Kadee that gave it away for me as well, but that took TWO LOOKS, I almost recognised the Driver as well, hahah Just BRILLIANT Peter.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter 

You have been busy!  Lots of great photos including on the new curve which now looks the absolute dog's.  I'm liking the Crompton pics as well not least be cause the class has always been one of my favourite among the diesel-electrics. But did a 33/2 ever get to North Wales?  I'm sure it must have but I can't remember when.  Towards the end anything seemed to turn up and they were no longer reserved for the then de-restricted Hastings line; previously the Slim Jims were often only found on the Mountfield gypsum and Hastings van trains.

Yes, after 1986 (was it May?) when the Hastings line was derestricted, the 33/2 essentially became common pool with the 33/0. Once the Weymouth line was electrified, 33/1 could also turn up anywhere.

The pics and modelling are superb, Peter. If you feel like weathering a few more blue 33s, I have four of them for you to do! I also have two green ones, a 'Dutch' and an EWS, if you feel like extending yourself. ;)

Thanks for the comments Guys,

The pic of 026 was cropped down a fair bit but I thought it looked pretty good. Sort of reminded me of looking across to the Exeter St Davids Stabling point.

Nearly all the 33/0s and 33/2s made it along the coast at some point. 33207 I think was one of the last on a regular service train. The 33/1s didn't I think 33109 made it to Bangor in 89 on a special though.

I always remember the Slim Jims being quite rare down Southampton way but as mentioned  once the Hastings line was de-restricted they did become a lot more common on the Portsmouth - Cardiff trains so working to Crewe and beyond can more common too.

Happy to weather a few Jeff though your weathering is fine. I have been out in the garage today weather up some Heljan Dogfish I picked up cheap.

Cheers Peter.

Pic below shows what was quite unusual at the time. 33208 storming through the New Forest on an interegional service to Reading. 

post-7022-0-78783100-1459061245_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 12

While doing these I picked out two old Cambrian models and added some extensions  from plasticard. 

Cheers Peter.

I remember an old railwayman telling me that in the north east they were known as greedy boards!

Dodfish are so much easier now with the RTR Heljan. I remember spending ages trying to get the Cambrian kits all square and running without any wobble.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by 60091

I remember an old railwayman telling me that in the north east they were known as greedy boards!

Dodfish are so much easier now with the RTR Heljan. I remember spending ages trying to get the Cambrian kits all square and running without any wobble.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Not heard that one but we didn't get many Dogfish on the Southern, 4 wheeled stuff was normally Crab and Dace.

The Cambrian Dogfish are a pain to get right some of mine are not the best but they do run ok. I used to try and get the hopper looking level then use a soldering iron to adjust the bearings in the axle box to get them to sit square. I wasn't going  buy any Heljan models as they were a bit pricey but I pick up 6 for about 10 Dollars each, they are a very nice model. The two that still need to be done had been painted green so I will re do these in the Dutch livery.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Like the fleet updates and workings to go with them just makes the layout even more interesting. That 33 shot really is impressive, although you can probably guess I like the 31's best. I've done 31444 in Dutch livery think a blue version would look very good on your layout.

All the best

Mark

Hi Peter,

Like the fleet updates and workings to go with them just makes the layout even more interesting. That 33 shot really is impressive, although you can probably guess I like the 31's best. I've done 31444 in Dutch livery think a blue version would look very good on your layout.

All the best

Mark

Thanks  Mark,

Glad you like the fleet updates, I actually have a Lima 31444 which sits in my display cabinet, I did think of putting a Hornby chassis under the Lima model but it's not the best model really, the Hornby loco looks the better option at the moment.

Quick question I think I asked once before. Did you do an article on doing an ODA wagon I have the Parkside bits to do one. Any tips on what to do would be great.

Cheers Peter.