Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Peter, in answer to your question at the BRMA meeting yesterday, class 143s first entered service in 1985, with 143 001 to 019 in Provincial livery similar to that applied to the class 142s. The Realtrack model has not, as yet, been offered in Provincial livery. So they were in service a little earlier than we thought but still at the tail end of your chosen modelling period.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that, I found a few nice pics of 143s in Prov liv on Flickr. I didn't see any in the North West though so may be they were allocated in other parts of the country. Lets hope Realtrack don't release one in Prov Liv as I will stil be tempted.

I was going to PM you but others might be interested in your answer. I need a few 21 pin decoders and have been using the Lenz 10321-01 which are very good but at 25 quid aren't cheap. I am just wondering what else is as good but a little cheaper. Are the DCC concepts ones any good?

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 1

Like your BR blue 56 on MGR hoppers...

Thanks Mate,

It's only a rake of 12 though which is a bit short really but they don't look to bad.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-83594500-1461659752_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that, I found a few nice pics of 143s in Prov liv on Flickr. I didn't see any in the North West though so may be they were allocated in other parts of the country. Lets hope Realtrack don't release one in Prov Liv as I will stil be tempted.

I was going to PM you but others might be interested in your answer. I need a few 21 pin decoders and have been using the Lenz 10321-01 which are very good but at 25 quid aren't cheap. I am just wondering what else is as good but a little cheaper. Are the DCC concepts ones any good?

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter, just to confirm that 143s did not make it to North Wales.  Although the 142s were regular to Llandudno when new on driver training and used the carriage sidings for coupling and uncoupling practice.

Merf.

Hi Jeff,

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter.

I like the Lenz ones too. However, if you can find them, the TCS EU621 decoders are good value and work well also. I have no experience at all with the DCC Concepts decoders, although I have a couple of 8-pin ones to fit eventually to something.

I have the Modern Locomotives Illustrated magazine on the Pacers and relatives - will try to find out the operating areas of the Provincial 143s for you.

The 143s were all delivered to Heaton as I recall, as far as the northwest is concerned I don't think they came much further south than Lancaster, possibility on Cumbrian coast workings. I know they did spend some time on Windermere workings.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mate,

It's only a rake of 12 though which is a bit short really but they don't look to bad.

Cheers Peter.

Size isn't everything.  We scale everything including colour and train formation and length.  A full-length rake of MGRs would probably look too big on Llanbourne even if you could get it into the sidings.  Just as my rakes of china-clay wagons on Penhayle Bay look good enough when snaking along behind a hydraulic but are only half the length the real things were.  I could boost those from 20 to 30 but I think they would then look too long.

The 143s were all delivered to Heaton as I recall, as far as the northwest is concerned I don't think they came much further south than Lancaster, possibility on Cumbrian coast workings. I know they did spend some time on Windermere workings.

Yes, according to the MLI I checked last night, the initial allocation was Heaton. They were commonly used on Sunderland/Newcastle to Carlisle services, interchangeably with the Tyne & Wear liveried batch. There was one photo of a unit on a Derby - Matlock service, although it is possible that was an unusual working while they were being tested and assessed.

Later on quite a few went to South Wales with Arriva, but that is beyond the period Peter wants to model.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Yes, all the Class 143s were allocated to Heaton to start with, then all transferred to Cardiff Canton later on. Haven't commented in a while, but Llanborne looks superb :) Love anything BR blue and sectorisation!

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter.

I like the Lenz ones too. However, if you can find them, the TCS EU621 decoders are good value and work well also. I have no experience at all with the DCC Concepts decoders, although I have a couple of 8-pin ones to fit eventually to something.

I have the Modern Locomotives Illustrated magazine on the Pacers and relatives - will try to find out the operating areas of the Provincial 143s for you.

I also use TCS EU621s (no sound of course).

Re Pacers, others have answered the 143 allocation question. the 144s were essentially the same but owned by the then West Yorkshire PTE not BR. I've got a print of a superb official photo of a 141, 142, 144 and the prototype 140 all lined up at Holbeck. A 101 is passing over the Viaduct Line in the background too. Unfortunately I don't own the copyright so I can't post it here.

• Like 3

10/10 for the Pic Peter, yet another that goes down as one of the best for How realistic is my Modelling.

Well done and thanks for taking the time to remove the Kadee's etc.

Thanks Andy,

I will post it in the realistic Modelling thread.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Size isn't everything.  We scale everything including colour and train formation and length.  A full-length rake of MGRs would probably look too big on Llanbourne even if you could get it into the sidings.  Just as my rakes of china-clay wagons on Penhayle Bay look good enough when snaking along behind a hydraulic but are only half the length the real things were.  I could boost those from 20 to 30 but I think they would then look too long.

Thanks Rick,

That is a good point it's all a compromise isn't it. Plus I couldn't afford to model full length trains. I agree too that a long train doesn't always look right, I think longer trains look better if the baseboards are a lot wider which then causes other problems. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks to everyone for the info on the 143s and decoders. I am quite happy not to have to buy a 143 although it's a nice looking model. I will at some point re motor my Hornby 142 Pacer with a High Level kit conversion.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I had another go at the pic Cav liked. I am not sure it's any better but I remove the Kadee's.

Cheers Peter.

Thats pretty good Peter but somehow some voodoo magic happened with the exposure or framing or something that all came together and looked spot on on the 33. Nice 47 though and you know how I love a duff! Edited by RBE

Thats pretty good Peter but somehow some voodoo magic happened with the exposure or framing or something that all came together and looked spot on on the 33. Nice 47 though and you know how I love a duff!

Thanks Cav, I know what you mean. It's not quite the same is it.  Thought you might lick the Duff.

Cheers Peter.

Thought you might lick the Duff.

I just love this auto correct shenanagins, awesome  :imsohappy: .

Peter, the 47 is superb, you can't beat a nice banger blue 47.

I rather like the Grid and hoppers as well, all your stock looks good on that curve, well anywhere on the layout actually!!!!  ;)

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mate,

The MGRs are what I have been working on in the last few weeks. I actually lowered them and fitted new wheels and Kadee's last year. I thought it was about time time I weathered them.

Cheers Peter.

I like the Blue 56 with MGRs too. The Hornby super detailed 56 is a super model, and you've taken full advantage of what it offers.

. I need a few 21 pin decoders and have been using the Lenz 10321-01 which are very good but at 25 quid aren't cheap. I am just wondering what else is as good but a little cheaper. Are the DCC concepts ones any good?

Cheers Peter. 

I've had some success with the DCC concepts decoders. These were generally the smaller versions and they work quite well. So I would guess the 21pin will work just as well. 

I've had some success with the DCC concepts decoders. These were generally the smaller versions and they work quite well. So I would guess the 21pin will work just as well. 

dcc concepts decoders work well ive fitted them to all my locos bar the Hornby class 08 love the stay alive aswell .Very good decoders .