Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

I just love this auto correct shenanagins, awesome  :imsohappy: .

Peter, the 47 is superb, you can't beat a nice banger blue 47.

I rather like the Grid and hoppers as well, all your stock looks good on that curve, well anywhere on the layout actually!!!!  ;)

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

I need to get off my arse  and do some more work on the layout I haven't done much to it recently.

Cheers Peter.

I like the Blue 56 with MGRs too. The Hornby super detailed 56 is a super model, and you've taken full advantage of what it offers.

Thanks Rich,

They are a nice model though I am not sure it runs a well as my Bachmann and Heljan stuff.

Cheers Peter.

Some of them claim to be Virgin's ;)

Lol but just because something says it's a Virgin doesn't always mean it is. I fact I would say most were pretty high mileage. :locomotive:

I've had some success with the DCC concepts decoders. These were generally the smaller versions and they work quite well. So I would guess the 21pin will work just as well. 

Thanks Doug,

I have used a few DCC Concepts 8 pin decoders but wonder how the 21 pin will go in a Bachmann loco. I guess I can try and see how well they work.

Cheers Peter.

dcc concepts decoders work well ive fitted them to all my locos bar the Hornby class 08 love the stay alive aswell .Very good decoders .

Thanks,

As I said to Doug, I can give a 21 pin decoder a try. the 8 pins ones I have used seem fine.

Cheers Peter.

The 21 pin ones are fitted to my class 25 and class 20s and give great control .they seem to work well with Bachmann locos .

Thanks that's good to know.  I will give one a go, I notice you can plug in an 8 pin wire harness too.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

Ace photos yet again, all be it correct shape, right wheel arrangement but doesn't whistle...haha....

When the "Bangors" stopped & went over to Peaks in the summer of 1983 I would after finishing by shift as box lad at the Junction catch the 17xx Bangor to Scarborough home to Colwyn Bay, depending who the driver was they'd ask you if you wanted to ride up top. One day while the Guard off the Amlwch Tanks was asking for the road to Elsmere Port (which would always get a run in front of the Londons if it had a 40 on it) a loud voice in the background shouted out "Tell the the lad if he lets you go early he can ride with me on the return Scarborough".

As the returning Scarborough pulled into the platform a big red face was hanging out of the cab shouting to me "this is a good un".

As I sat down in the secondman's seat I was told how he'd managed to get 98mph out of it but not the the top speed of 125mph!

I said "Raymond they are only supposed to do 100mph", with that he pointed at the sign above the window, with his usual big grin he said "says 125 up there". So I said "No Ray that's 45125 the loco number!", still laughing Ray said "still a bl***y good un,".

Within a few minutes we were pulling into Colwyn Bay platform....happy memories...

Edited by DIRTY DIESEL
  • Like 4

Fantastic photos as always Peter, and fantastic attention to detail within those photos. A Class 44/45/46 is one model I've never owned. There seems to have been so many variants over the years, that I always end up a little confused as to what's available and when it was produced. Off to do a little research and see if I can pick up a base model for some future detailing. Inspirational, many thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

Ace photos yet again, all be it correct shape, right wheel arrangement but doesn't whistle...haha....

When the "Bangors" stopped & went over to Peaks in the summer of 1983 I would after finishing by shift as box lad at the Junction catch the 17xx Bangor to Scarborough home to Colwyn Bay, depending who the driver was they'd ask you if you wanted to ride up top. One day while the Guard off the Amlwch Tanks was asking for the road to Elsmere Port (which would always get a run in front of the Londons if it had a 40 on it) a loud voice in the background shouted out "Tell the the lad if he lets you go early he can ride with me on the return Scarborough".

As the returning Scarborough pulled into the platform a big red face was hanging out of the cab shouting to me "this is a good un".

As I sat down in the secondman's seat I was told how he'd managed to get 98mph out of it but not the the top speed of 125mph!

I said "Raymond they are only supposed to do 100mph", with that he pointed at the sign above the window, with his usual big grin he said "says 125 up there". So I said "No Ray that's 45125 the loco number!", still laughing Ray said "still a bl***y good un,".

Within a few minutes we were pulling into Colwyn Bay platform....happy memories...

Hi Stu,

Great story, I think the 45's were a 90mph loco but I remember getting a 100mph a few times behind a Peak they could certainly get up and go when required.

I remember a cab ride in a class 50, can't remember the number but I remember the driver trying to get up to a 100mph before reaching Basingstoke. We did get too 95 but a signal check put pay to us getting to 3 digits. Needless to say  the driver wasn't happy.

Cheers Peter.

Superb Pics Peter, superb weathering, superb Layout. Love it.

Thanks Andy.

Another great set of photos love the peaks.

I always thought Peaks were a good loco though plenty of Bashers didn't like them.

Cheers Peter.

I didn't mind a Peak. I did quite a bit of work on restoring 45149 at the GW&R at Toddington in the early days. They certainly had a large following by a certain group called the "Peak Army" who were probably the most charismatic basher's going. I was going to put "notorious" but probably a little unfair as most of their antics were just high spirits and usually fuelled by copious amounts of Real Ale!!  

• Like 1

Love 029.

Thanks Cav,

I had to do 45029. It was one of the last in service and I had it for haulage a few times. I also have a few pics of the loco to help with weathering.

Cheers Peter.

Sorry Peter. Couldn't resist the above post.

Great pictures of the Class 45's Love the overall shot of the station with the train snaking out. Superb!!

Cheers

Marcus 

No worries Marcus,

I think if there was ever a loco class that I would be tempted to lick it would be a class 45. :locomotive:

A mate of mine back in the day was a class 50 Basher and he told me there was a Female Basher who would kiss her favourite loco when ever she had it for haulage on it.

Cheers Peter.

Fantastic photos as always Peter, and fantastic attention to detail within those photos. A Class 44/45/46 is one model I've never owned. There seems to have been so many variants over the years, that I always end up a little confused as to what's available and when it was produced. Off to do a little research and see if I can pick up a base model for some future detailing. Inspirational, many thanks.

Thanks Pete,

If you need any info on Peaks let me know. But the 44s went early so 45,46 would be your best bet. Not sure how common they were in the East London area though.

My current fleet are all the older Bachmann and Mainline body on Bachmann chassis. The newer Bachmann model have a better body shape unfortunately the sealed beam lights that most of mine have are the hard one to get in the newer body.

Cheers Peter.

Am loving the Peaks Peter... brings back happy memories of staying on holiday at Deganwy in the summer of 83...

Thanks Jim,

I had most of my Peak haulage in 86-7 but had a few down Dawlish way back in the day on Summer relief's.

Cheers Peter.