Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Good to have you safely back Peter.  Give me a shout when you have some time and we can catch up.  Penhayle Bay has been running well despite the weather and a big patch in the fiddle yard.

John: Peter uses an NCE Power Cab. Making and breaking consists is very easy to do with this.

Peter: A consist would be the better way to go, but speed-matching the locos would be better done with different numbers under separate control. CVs to play with are 2 for the starting voltage, 5 for the top speed and 6 for the mid-voltage/speed. Also make sure CVs 3 and 4 are set to match so that acceleration and deceleration occur at similar rates on both engines.

It helps if both locos have the same type of decoder fitted as the characteristics are easier to match up, but it is not impossible to do with different decoders fitted.

If it is still difficult to get a close match, and if the decoders allow it, you may have to consider using a speed table, where each of the speed steps can be specified.

well I am back and had a great trip to the UK. I caught up with some friends and family and a few RM webbers. It was great to catch up with Alex, Mark, Ian, Paul, Nigel and Kevin.

I went to my old club and caught up with a few guys from there too. I didn't manage to get to any exhibitions but will certainly try next time.

We arrived back on Sunday and on the Monday had a visit from eminent railway author John Dedman. :)  I have known John since I was a nipper so it was good to see him over here. I was weird as only about 4 weeks ago I had been to his place and had run a few 7mm trains round his garden railway. He also had Heljan's new class 25, a very nice model. We ran Llanbourne for a while which ran ok considering I only gave the track a quick clean. But just before we finished up a point blade broke on one of the main cross overs. I have managed to fix it using a spare blade from another point, it is a bit of a pain to do but it's better than removing the whole point though I will get a spare as it's only a matter of time before it breaks again.

While the track was still fairly clean I ran a few trains today. I did try and get my two class 25/9 s  to run as a pair by giving them the same decoder number. Even after playing with CV 2 and 5 they still didn't want to run well together. If anyone has any idea's let me know.

My holiday pics will be loaded onto my Flickr site over the next few weeks.

Cheers Peter.

Blimey, I haven't seen John since I saw him with Hollybank Depot at one of the New Forest Shows many moons ago. Glad you had a good visit to the UK Peter.

Welcome back Peter.

I can't remember what DCC system you are using, but wouldn't it be simpler just to consist the two locos?

Thanks John,

As Jeff said I use an NCE  Power cab.

On another matter. We were talking about 25912 the other week and you mentioned you had a bit to with the Nameplates back in the day. Anyway your name is mentioned in an article in a recent Rail Express mag I was given. I can send you the copy if you want it.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-32394500-1477045491_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Good to have you safely back Peter.  Give me a shout when you have some time and we can catch up.  Penhayle Bay has been running well despite the weather and a big patch in the fiddle yard.

Thanks Rick,

I think I have some time next weekend but thats as far as I know at the moment. When is your next free weekend?

Cheers Peter.

John: Peter uses an NCE Power Cab. Making and breaking consists is very easy to do with this.

Peter: A consist would be the better way to go, but speed-matching the locos would be better done with different numbers under separate control. CVs to play with are 2 for the starting voltage, 5 for the top speed and 6 for the mid-voltage/speed. Also make sure CVs 3 and 4 are set to match so that acceleration and deceleration occur at similar rates on both engines.

It helps if both locos have the same type of decoder fitted as the characteristics are easier to match up, but it is not impossible to do with different decoders fitted.

If it is still difficult to get a close match, and if the decoders allow it, you may have to consider using a speed table, where each of the speed steps can be specified.

Thanks Jeff,

I have used consists before but I still need to match the speed. I did play with CV 3 I will check and see what decoders they have and have another go.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rick,

I think I have some time next weekend but thats as far as I know at the moment. When is your next free weekend?

Cheers Peter.

Next Saturday and Sunday off.  A nice little break in the middle of the crazy horse-chasing season ;)

Blimey, I haven't seen John since I saw him with Hollybank Depot at one of the New Forest Shows many moons ago. Glad you had a good visit to the UK Peter.

Thanks Andy,

Looking forwards to my next trip already. John's going well it was good to catch up.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John,

As Jeff said I use an NCE  Power cab.

On another matter. We were talking about 25912 the other week and you mentioned you had a bit to with the Nameplates back in the day. Anyway your name is mentioned in an article in a recent Rail Express mag I was given. I can send you the copy if you want it.

Cheers Peter.

Yes please! A scan of the relevant page(s) would be great.

i wonder if they spelled my name right...

Next Saturday and Sunday off.  A nice little break in the middle of the crazy horse-chasing season ;)

Ok I will let you know. There is something on the calendar but that might not include me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers, this is an area I'm still to master and would love to have some double heading on my own layout.

Hi Peter,

Glad you had a good time and was really good to meet in person whilst you were here. Shame you missed out on Barrow exhibition I had my model of 37403 which now has Bifs sounds but the real things on the coast are well worth seeing. I really need to get a trip on them at some point.

All the best

Mark

Hi Peter,

Glad you had a good time and was really good to meet in person whilst you were here. Shame you missed out on Barrow exhibition I had my model of 37403 which now has Bifs sounds but the real things on the coast are well worth seeing. I really need to get a trip on them at some point.

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark,

It was good to meet up, how did the Barrow exhibition go? We were driving back down South that day. 

We had a good day out on the Cambrian Coast. It was like a timewarp going back to the Scottish Highlands in the mid 80s. The trip is certainly worth doing.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-18395700-1477093774_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-09964100-1477093848_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Mark,

It was good to meet up, how did the Barrow exhibition go? We were driving back down South that day.

We had a good day out on the Cambrian Coast. It was like a timewarp going back to the Scottish Highlands in the mid 80s. The trip is certainly worth doing.

Cheers Peter.

I'm sure you mean the Cumbrian coast ;)

Nice to see you back Peter, hope you had a nice break over here in Blighty, looking forward to the next instalments at Lanbourne.

Jinty ;)

I'm sure you mean the Cumbrian coast ;)

Nice to see you back Peter, hope you had a nice break over here in Blighty, looking forward to the next instalments at Lanbourne.

Jinty ;)

Ooops.

Thanks Jinty, can't really blame that on the Jet lag. I did mean Cumbrian coast. I did have a good time in the UK but glad to be back home as you can see I have already had a running session on Llanbourne. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooops.

Thanks Jinty, can't really blame that on the Jet lag. I did mean Cumbrian coast. I did have a good time in the UK but glad to be back home as you can see I have already had a running session on Llanbourne. 

Cheers Peter.

Meanwhile back on the Cymruan coast at Llanbourne ......... ;)

Good to have the flow of pics again Peter, SUPERB, and as for your Cam AND ######, well it was only a few years ago that I noticed the difference, AND I LIVE HERE :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

EDIT = Oh dear, my ######-brian has been deleted.  EDIT AGAIN ? its been deleted, well it was Cumbrian without the Brian bit, hope that now stays hahha.

Edited by Andrew P

Good to have the flow of pics again Peter, SUPERB, and as for your Cam AND ######, well it was only a few years ago that I noticed the difference, AND I LIVE HERE :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

EDIT = Oh dear, my ######-brian has been deleted.  EDIT AGAIN ? its been deleted, well it was Cumbrian without the Brian bit, hope that now stays hahha.

Lol Thanks Andy,

More pics to come.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

We had a great time at the show, it's a really good friendly exhibition and nice to catch up with everyone. You would have seen my model of 403 had to model it after seeing it in August a few times and fitted it with Bifs West Highland 37 sounds

post-6863-0-90443800-1477312877_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-61612700-1477312900_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Mark

Nice to see the 25 and that brake van looks very good too.

• Like 6

Hi Pete

Was nice to see you the other week. Glad you are back home okay. I do like the picture of John with the layout, it gives a good overview of where everything is. Hopefully next time I see you I will have more to report on the hobby room (rather than a bare structure that requires insulating and plasterboarding).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Sounds like you had a good trip, and arrived back safely. Those two Class 25/9s do look rather good together. What's the issue with pairing them up? One running faster than the other? Do they have he same motors/decoders in them?

Rich