Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

We had a great time at the show, it's a really good friendly exhibition and nice to catch up with everyone. You would have seen my model of 403 had to model it after seeing it in August a few times and fitted it with Bifs West Highland 37 sounds

attachicon.gifIMG_4160.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4161.JPG

Thanks

Mark

Nice to see the 25 and that brake van looks very good too.

Thanks Mark,

Glad you enjoyed the show. Your class 37 is a beast it looks spot on, I bet it sounds alright too. They don't hang about on the Cumbrian trains plenty of thrash when leaving most stations.

All the best Peter.

Hi Pete

Was nice to see you the other week. Glad you are back home okay. I do like the picture of John with the layout, it gives a good overview of where everything is. Hopefully next time I see you I will have more to report on the hobby room (rather than a bare structure that requires insulating and plasterboarding).

Hi Nigel,

It was, pity you had to go to work, we had a good running session at Kevs. 

If you have something running by the time I am over next we could meet at your place providing you have a good chippy close by. lol

It was good to catch up with John. The layout ran quite well considering I only gave the track a quick clean.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Sounds like you had a good trip, and arrived back safely. Those two Class 25/9s do look rather good together. What's the issue with pairing them up? One running faster than the other? Do they have he same motors/decoders in them?

Rich

Hi Rich,

We did, back at work now it all seems so long ago already. The 25s are both Bachmann so have the same motor I haven't checked the decoders yet but I am going to leave it for now as I have a sound chip to put in one so will try again after that.

Nice work on Marsh Lane by the way looks like you have been busy.

Cheers Peter.

From the use of brake vans & runner wagons, looks like it's on an explosives train from Blaenau / Maentwrog Road? Good portrayal anyway :)

Thanks Rich,

Quite correct it is my representation  of the explosive train. I only recently found out it wasn't an MOD train. I pressume the vans went down empty and came back loaded.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The explosives were for commercial use (quarries mines etc) & came from a factory at Penrhyndeudraeth which I think ended up owned by ICI. Originally traffic went out from Pen... via the Cambrian route (pictures in books of strings of the old iron gunpowder vans in books and about halfway down this page) but when the Barmouth bridge was closed to locomotives, the explosives went to Maentwrog Road near Trawsfynydd to be loaded onto the trains. There's a bit more on an old RMWeb thread

• RMweb Premium

Hello Peter.

Its been a good few years since I last commented on your wonderful thread. Been doing some catching up over the past few weeks, and your layout still inspires me. Its good to be back on here.

As always, I shall be following with interest.

Cheers, Anthony

The explosives were for commercial use (quarries mines etc) & came from a factory at Penrhyndeudraeth which I think ended up owned by ICI. Originally traffic went out from Pen... via the Cambrian route (pictures in books of strings of the old iron gunpowder vans in books and about halfway down this page) but when the Barmouth bridge was closed to locomotives, the explosives went to Maentwrog Road near Trawsfynydd to be loaded onto the trains. There's a bit more on an old RMWeb thread

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the link. An interesting read.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter.

Its been a good few years since I last commented on your wonderful thread. Been doing some catching up over the past few weeks, and your layout still inspires me. Its good to be back on here.

As always, I shall be following with interest.

Cheers, Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Welcome back, there has been some change in the last few years but the layout still isn't finished. I need to crack on with it really and stop working on stock.

Cheers Peter.

Great photo's Peter. Nice representation of the gun powder train. There's a preservation group who's just started clearing the line after securing a lease off Network Rail. It would be lovely to see it open again. Last train I remember seeing up there was the flask with a couple of 31's propelling it. Only trouble is they've got a bit of a mammoth task ahead of them.

Anyway I'm a bit embarrassed that you've flown half way round the world and done the tractors on the Cumbrian and I still haven't made it up there yet. Note to self - Must try harder!! Lol.

• Like 3

Great photo's Peter. Nice representation of the gun powder train. There's a preservation group who's just started clearing the line after securing a lease off Network Rail. It would be lovely to see it open again. Last train I remember seeing up there was the flask with a couple of 31's propelling it. Only trouble is they've got a bit of a mammoth task ahead of them.

Anyway I'm a bit embarrassed that you've flown half way round the world and done the tractors on the Cumbrian and I still haven't made it up there yet. Note to self - Must try harder!! Lol.

Thanks Marcus,

It would be good to see it up and running again.

Cumbrian Coast is well worth doing It's like going back in time to the Scottish Highlands. 

Cheers Peter.

A few more pics. 25912 is a bit of a new favourite and is seen shunting vans before departing to Bangor. 31319 is also seen working along the coast with the Inspection saloon.

Also pictured below is my 37057 which will become 37043 one day. It would mean removing the headlight though so I am wondering if anyone wants to swap a non headlight fitted split box nose section. I am sure I could cut the light off but if some one needs the headlight fitted nose it would save a bit of work.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-13806000-1477655377_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-45306400-1477655480_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-88371900-1477655514_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-32250500-1477655568_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-22965300-1477655621_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-05330100-1477655668_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Hi Peter,

There is a picture somewhere on Fliker of a class 47 (BR Blue) trundling through Blaenau with a VDA and 2 x OAA barrier wagons and a brake van with the said explosive load.

I'll have a look to see if I can find it, but I bet Merfyn will know where it is!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

There is a picture somewhere on Fliker of a class 47 (BR Blue) trundling through Blaenau with a VDA and 2 x OAA barrier wagons and a brake van with the said explosive load.

I'll have a look to see if I can find it, but I bet Merfyn will know where it is!!!

Jinty ;)

Jinty,

That wouldn't happen to be this one would it...

williamprice0004.jpg

From http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/inmemoriam.html

Rich

• Like 7

Jinty,

That wouldn't happen to be this one would it...

williamprice0004.jpg

From http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/inmemoriam.html

Rich

No I saw that one earlier whilst looking, it was passing the old LNWR station area and it was plain BR Blue, that one is on the Traws side of Blaenau on the sharpies dropping into Blaenau itself.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 2

Thanks Marcus,

It would be good to see it up and running again.

Cumbrian Coast is well worth doing It's like going back in time to the Scottish Highlands. 

Cheers Peter.

You're right its a lovely route. I've even driven over it with a Chiltern 67 of all things on the Three Peaks Charter. Also done a few railtours over there and visited the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway. That's certainly worth a visit if you're in the area as the scenery is breath taking.

As I say, really must try harder.

Cheers

Marcus 

• 2 weeks later...

You're right its a lovely route. I've even driven over it with a Chiltern 67 of all things on the Three Peaks Charter. Also done a few railtours over there and visited the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway. That's certainly worth a visit if you're in the area as the scenery is breath taking.

As I say, really must try harder.

Cheers

Marcus 

Hi Marcus,

Sorry I thought I had replied to this. We did stop at Ravenglass and did see the narrow gauge but we went to the pub for lunch and beers so didn't do it.

The lakes are on our to do list for the next visit. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Not much to report really I have been doing a few bits on the layout and working on a few loco's. I started to put the transfers on my class 31 until I put on these rub on Railfreight signs on. I think they look to big. Anyone know who does the correct sized ones. I am a bit annoyed with myself as I ordered some bits of Fox the other day.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-80595700-1478863634_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Peter

I like the look of the 31. 

Looking through a few photos it may be a tad too deep, but personally I think it looks ok.

You could try Steve at Railtec?

I have an original unused railfreight sticker from a 58 and they were fairly deep.

Cheers

Trev :)

Edited by big T

Not much to report really I have been doing a few bits on the layout and working on a few loco's. I started to put the transfers on my class 31 until I put on these rub on Railfreight signs on. I think they look to big. Anyone know who does the correct sized ones. I am a bit annoyed with myself as I ordered some bits of Fox the other day.

Cheers Peter.

Other than the transfer issue, that's a nice looking respray.

Hi Peter

I like the look of the 31. 

Looking through a few photos it may be a tad too deep, but personally I think it looks ok.

You could try Steve at Railtec?

I have an original unused railfreight sticker from a 58 and they were fairly deep.

Cheers

Trev :)

Thanks Trev,

I have removed it so will try railtec or someone.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Railtec pack number 4mm 1306.Images on their website.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for giving me the part number. I have check out the pics and they look like they should be ok.

Cheers Peter.