Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

47636 has finally left the workbench. The loco ran well on it's first test run though I need to play with the CVs as the sound chip is a bit loud plus the loco needs to be slowed down. So any help from you sound guys out there would be great. It's a Biffo sound chip.

Also in the rake is a MK3 that I have weathered up a bit. I didn't know when I bought it that it had the later door lock lights so I will have to try and remove them and put a coach letter over them. 

Cheers Peter.

Try one of these Peter, two of our Biffo fitted loco's -

Heljan 47        - cv 3 -200, cv 4 -150, cv 5 -40,   cv 6 -20                   master volume cv 63, max 192 try 100 and adjust down to taste!

Bachmann 47 - cv 3 -175, cv 4 -175, cv 5 -120, cv 6 -60

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

More excellent paint and weathering jobs Peter.  I do like the duff.  Also the watering points look the business and are another small but often overlooked (or simply not modelled) touch of realism.

I really must get down to Llanbourne again before departing these shores.  

Great looking 47 Pete, I think that livery suits them so well. Is it a 47 436 underneath? It really looks the part with the black domino and snowploughs. Your weathering is, as ever, absolutely spot on.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Renumbering 436 would have been easier though it couldn't be done as 636 due to the boiler port being round. 47636 started life as Bachmann's 47535 which I picked up cheap for 45 quid. Re building headcode boxes and fitting ploughs all added to the time it took to do the model.

I do have a 47436 to do but it will be a standard un named Crewe based loco.

Pics below show work in progress and my 47535.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-09662100-1480492910_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-39586800-1480493164_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

You've made an excellent job of 636, superb, and looks the part too with that train

Jinty ;)

Thanks Mate,

Once I get the sound sorted I will be happy, but it's come out quite well.

Cheers Peter.

Superb Pics Peter, always nice to see a 47 at work,

The layout always photographs well, it's a credit to your modelling skills.

Thanks Andy,

Wasn't much of a fan of the class 47s back in the day, but I always like the ploughed up Scottish loco's. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter.

I've found you! ;) It will take a good while for me to get through the 185 pages, but if the reading on this page is anything to go by it will be much fun!

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Probably best not to read it all in one go. lol 

Cheers Peter.

Try one of these Peter, two of our Biffo fitted loco's -

Heljan 47        - cv 3 -200, cv 4 -150, cv 5 -40,   cv 6 -20                   master volume cv 63, max 192 try 100 and adjust down to taste!

Bachmann 47 - cv 3 -175, cv 4 -175, cv 5 -120, cv 6 -60

Hi Kev,

Thanks for that I will try and have a go later on. Are your class 37s set up similar to that too I have one that takes of way quicker than the others.

Cheers Peter.

More excellent paint and weathering jobs Peter.  I do like the duff.  Also the watering points look the business and are another small but often overlooked (or simply not modelled) touch of realism.

I really must get down to Llanbourne again before departing these shores.  

Thanks Rick,

I will do a running day in the new year so will let you know. 

Cheers Peter.

The Duff looks superb Peter. Very nice job indeed, especially with the mods to the head code boxes. Obviously being a tractor brasher I was never very fond of 47s but I think as you get older you mellow a bit. There's a rather nice Preserved Scotrail liveried one hiding behind our shed at Peterborough at the moment. I would have got a picture but it was getting a bit dark.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

Hi Kev,

Thanks for that I will try and have a go later on. Are your class 37s set up similar to that too I have one that takes of way quicker than the others.

Cheers Peter.

It depends which layout they are set up for Peter. Loch Dour's fleet tend to have the speed curve set with cv 6 at two thirds the value of cv 5, so most of the acceleration is at the lower speeds. Coppell engines are more like 50% with a higher value in cv 5. If you want to slow a locos acceleration. Just increase the value of cv's 3 & 4. Kev.

Edited by kevpeo

The Duff looks superb Peter. Very nice job indeed, especially with the mods to the head code boxes. Obviously being a tractor brasher I was never very fond of 47s but I think as you get older you mellow a bit. There's a rather nice Preserved Scotrail liveried one hiding behind our shed at Peterborough at the moment. I would have got a picture but it was getting a bit dark.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus,

It wasn't until I worked on the railway that I realised  the class 47s weren't all bad. There wasn't much they couldn't do and they were quite reliable. 

Cheers Peter.

It depends which layout they are set up for Peter. Loch Dour's fleet tend to have the speed curve set with cv 6 at two thirds the value of cv 5, so most of the acceleration is at the lower speeds. Coppell engines are more like 50% with a higher value in cv 5. If you want to slow a locos acceleration. Just increase the value of cv's 3 & 4. Kev.

Thanks Kev,

I guess I need to have a play but it's good to know what CVs to play with. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Kev,

Finally had the chance to play with the cv s and 47636 is now sounding better. I have a few others I need to play with as well but haven't had much time this weekend.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I have put this on ebay but if anyone is interested let me know. About $180.00 It's the Trains4u limited edition 150 Sprinter in Provincial Livery.

Cheers Peter.

I'm sure if ebay had existed in 1987 then Regional Railways may well have done the same. They were bad enough on surburban services, but as a replacement for almost intercity status trains they were dreadful. I hope they really did work out cheaper to operate, they certainly had little else in their favour!

Interestingly 30 years later we may finally get to see what the next generation of rolling stock should actually look like with the 68s and Mark V coaches.

Good luck with the sale all the same. Clearly it's only postage rates preventing me from bidding!

I'm sure if ebay had existed in 1987 then Regional Railways may well have done the same. They were bad enough on surburban services, but as a replacement for almost intercity status trains they were dreadful. I hope they really did work out cheaper to operate, they certainly had little else in their favour!

Interestingly 30 years later we may finally get to see what the next generation of rolling stock should actually look like with the 68s and Mark V coaches.

Good luck with the sale all the same. Clearly it's only postage rates preventing me from bidding!

Hi Andy,

I wasn't impressed when they came out myself. It meant the end of a lot of loco hauled services. 

I saw a few class 68s when I was over a few months back and I quite like them they sound pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

31149 has progressed to the point of almost at the weathering stage this week, 37032 has transfers added as well.  I looked at getting the Railtec transfers but they were 7 quid and the sheet had the large railfreight signs which I wouldn't use. I ended up buying some Replica ones for 2 quid along with their Scottish sheet with highland stag etc on as I was running short of them. The new Railfreight signs are smaller than the ones I rubbed of the other week but probably still a little bit to big.

No work on the layout this week but I did take a pic of 31323 shunting a few Dogfish wagons in South Yard. 

CHeers Peter.

post-7022-0-23351600-1481417850_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-66954300-1481417943_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-08846600-1481417970_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-33695400-1481417999_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Loving the redstripes Peter.

Always a joy to keep up to date with your thread.

Cheers, Anthony

Thanks Anthony,

Always liked the red stripe myself, I must admit I didn't get many pics of the class 37s but did get a shot of 032 at Eastleigh depot.

Cheers Peter.