Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 21:49, Temeraire said:

Looking as good as ever, Happy New Year Pete.

Thanks and Happy New Year to you Ian, Hope you are all ok over there it's looking a bit grim at the moment. 

It's not too bad here at the moment so we are enjoying our Summer while we can.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The fiddleyard on Llanbourne has been at capacity for some time now, so it's time to make up a few cassettes so some trains can be stored under the layout. So far I have started to build a prototype to see if whats in my head will work.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, P.C.M said:

The fiddleyard on Llanbourne has been at capacity for some time now, so it's time to make up a few cassettes so some trains can be stored under the layout. So far I have started to build a prototype to see if whats in my head will work.

Cheers Peter.

How much storage do you have at the moment? It seems pretty endless given the variety in your photos. 

I can’t imagine running out of space given a loco plus coaches costs the same as a luxury saloon car. 

• Agree 1

On 09/02/2021 at 05:18, 61656 said:

How much storage do you have at the moment? It seems pretty endless given the variety in your photos. 

I can’t imagine running out of space given a loco plus coaches costs the same as a luxury saloon car. 

Hopefully the pic will show you how much room i have. DMU sidings over the back a Stoke set then two IC rakes two trans Pennine rakes two parcel rakes one oil train one speedlink. Three ballast. And a short loco hauled set. Which means about four other trains with no room. Also attached a pic of the cassette.

20210210_181008.jpg

20210210_180921.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Hopefully the pic will show you how much room i have. DMU sidings over the back a Stoke set then two IC rakes two trans Pennine rakes two parcel rakes one oil train one speedlink. Three ballast. And a short loco hauled set. Which means about four other trains with no room. Also attached a pic of the cassette.

I make that about 14 roads, which sounds massive until you list out the stock / services. I’m guessing you need 2 less than the theoretical maximum number of trains, because at least 2 sets are always on the layout? 

Obviously my main reason for asking was trying to work out if my own yard will be big enough (currently 14 but 18 is possible)! Plageurism is flattery apparently. 

I can see one extra road you can create by storing the 142 about 600mm further right!

I also spy a TV gameshow type question “in which hobby might a grown man reasonably require a hammer, digital vernier, 2” paint brush and clothes pegs?”...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 61656 said:

I make that about 14 roads, which sounds massive until you list out the stock / services. I’m guessing you need 2 less than the theoretical maximum number of trains, because at least 2 sets are always on the layout? 

Obviously my main reason for asking was trying to work out if my own yard will be big enough (currently 14 but 18 is possible)! Plageurism is flattery apparently. 

I can see one extra road you can create by storing the 142 about 600mm further right!

I also spy a TV gameshow type question “in which hobby might a grown man reasonably require a hammer, digital vernier, 2” paint brush and clothes pegs?”...

I think your 14 roads with room for more should be enough. As you said it can be expensive filling it. Its probably worth pointing out i have been building llanbourne for over 30 years and stock was alot cheaper back in the day. Plus I don't replace and buy all the latest stock I still run some old Hornby and lima and Dapol mk2s.

The 142 is a dummy that normally has a 150 coupled to it. The 108 is in for a wheel cleaning but the speedlink is normally parked up there. I forgot to mention two Cardiff rakes. 

The digital part of the verniers doesn't  work any more, and pegs are very useful. Lol  a couple more pics.

20210210_195730.jpg

20210210_195709.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 61656 said:

I’m guessing you need 2 less than the theoretical maximum number of trains, because at least 2 sets are always on the layout? 

You'll need at least one empty road to receive an incoming train. It sounds obvious but I learned the hard way...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

You'll need at least one empty road to receive an incoming train. It sounds obvious but I learned the hard way...

Hi John, That would work if all sidings could hold the same length train most of my trains go back to the siding they came from.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I know of a large terminal station that had several tracks in the approaches. All were bi-directional except one. At the resignalling the signallers asked for all to be bi-directional as having just one road uni-directional was a pain in rear. 

It was 9.15am on the first Monday following commissioning that they encountered the Mexican stand off. By 9.30am the bi-directional facility was barred out of use and remains so to this day. 

I thought I had side stepped this particular land mine by having 4 fiddle yard roads that are through roads. However as my platforms are all bi-directional, your advice still stands!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, 61656 said:

I know of a large terminal station that had several tracks in the approaches. All were bi-directional except one. At the resignalling the signallers asked for all to be bi-directional as having just one road uni-directional was a pain in rear. 

It was 9.15am on the first Monday following commissioning that they encountered the Mexican stand off. By 9.30am the bi-directional facility was barred out of use and remains so to this day. 

I thought I had side stepped this particular land mine by having 4 fiddle yard roads that are through roads. However as my platforms are all bi-directional, your advice still stands!

Certainly for a roundy roundy  type layout an empty road would be a good idea.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2021 at 10:23, P.C.M said:

North Wales  was one of the last places to see regular class 25 action 3 of llanbournes regulars have been in for wheel cleaning.  25059 is an old Hornby model but with Bachmann running gear. 

I am quite looking forwards to the Heljan model though I won't be replacing my Bachmann models.

20210211_210743.jpg

20210211_210829.jpg

20210211_210851.jpg

20210211_210940.jpg

All your 25s look great, and it’s hard to tell which is the Hornby. I think Rats are definitely another appealing element of North Wales in the 80s. I’m hoping that the Heljan model might mean I can pick up some Bachmann’s cheap(er)!

I’ve been trying to find evidence of 25s on passenger workings in North Wales as late as 86. Derbysulzers has a handful of passenger workings, but nothing to North Wales. Obviously rule 1 applies, but it’s always nice to have a prototype.