Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

40 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I love the North Wales coast, and the railway was great in the 80s at the end of the BR blue period, with new liveries bursting onto the scene. Still plenty of Banger Blue locos and interesting diesel and electric classes about too. So great stuff there, and I can see a distant retirement project happening to do a WCML layout from the same time. 

I have often though about how some overhead would look on Llanbourne. It would mean removing the Semaphores but still tempting.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I’ve just treated myself to a green central headcode retooled 40 that will become 060. I’m also after a disc headcode one for 118, although I may make that out of a load of spare Lima and Bachmann parts like my model of 135. 

The retooled  class 4o is certainly the better model. I missed out on the blue ones when they came out and the price of them is a bit over the top now so I was happy when my mate did this one for me. 

My 97407 is a Lima body on a Bachmann chassis, not as good as the latest Bachmann but with some detail work they look pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, P.C.M said:

My lima/ Bachmann 97407 trundles past the carriage sidings on an engineers train.

20210924_215511.jpg

Here's mine, 'ex works', though that is hard to believe. It's a retooled Bachmann with Shawplan windscreens. All my 37s and 40s are getting them.

DSCF0296.jpg.8389768e0dc86059979cd297dd29d12f.jpg

Edited to add, I’ve really got to replace the 7mm scale jumpers on the bogies! I have used a bit of fuse wire and some of the insulation off an old mains electrical cable on 135.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, P.C.M said:

I have often though about how some overhead would look on Llanbourne. It would mean removing the Semaphores but still tempting.

There was talk about electrifying the North Wales coast, so you could do a ‘what might have been’. In my world the 40s and 25s made it just until the 90s.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Here's mine, 'ex works', though that is hard to believe. It's a retooled Bachmann with Shawplan windscreens. All my 37s and 40s are getting them.

DSCF0294.jpg

Edited to add, I’ve really got to replace the 7mm scale jumpers on the bogies! I have used a bit of fuse wire and some of the insulation off an old mains electrical cable on 135.

Oooh nice, 

10 minutes ago, 97406 said:

There was talk about electrifying the North Wales coast, so you could do a ‘what might have been’. In my world the 40s and 25s made it just until the 90s.

Now you have me thinking, and class 25s and 40s running until the 90s how cool would that have been. I might have got to see a few more.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, P.C.M said:

Oooh nice, 

The Bachmann cabs are the right shape, whereas the bonnets are a little too high on the Lima ones. I spliced Bachmann Class 37 cabs into my Lima 135 recently. It's been somewhat of a testbed for several modelling experiments over the years! I've managed to get the glazing sitting a little flusher on the more recent conversions, so may revisit it on this. DSCF0232.jpg.2451722ee5325ce55bf589fc4b34fa6a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Now you have me thinking, and class 25s and 40s running until the 90s how cool would that have been. I might have got to see a few more.

I was lucky enough to manage to properly grab the end of the 40s, and their reprieve from 84 on. They used to scare the hell out of me at first when I was a kid, but I became more accustomed to the sound they made in the following years. They did make an impression.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 25/09/2021 at 23:34, 97406 said:

I was lucky enough to manage to properly grab the end of the 40s, and their reprieve from 84 on. They used to scare the hell out of me at first when I was a kid, but I became more accustomed to the sound they made in the following years. They did make an impression.

I was living down South so didn't get to see many class 40s but did see a few of the 97s and D200 which I did get on a railtour. Seeing one always left a memory for me as it wasn't an everyday sight.

• Like 2

On 25/09/2021 at 23:29, P.C.M said:

We know what they could have looked like in large logo blue from 25 322 and the preserved class 40 that was put into LLB for a while. I wonder if any might have got into Regional Railways liveries too.

1 hour ago, SRman said:

We know what they could have looked like in large logo blue from 25 322 and the preserved class 40 that was put into LLB for a while. I wonder if any might have got into Regional Railways liveries too.

Hi Jeff, They didn't have ETH so would more than likely been painted in railfreight grey livery. Either way it would have benn good to see them last a bit longer.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRman said:

Probably more likely they'd have ended up in Railfreight Red Stripe livery / Trainload Freight and Dutch had they lasted ... but on seeing how the Class 26s and 37s suit those I think they'd have carried it well

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, jcarta said:

That looks horrendous.......

Railfreight grey may suit it ....... 

I’m not a fan of Load Haul. If they got rid of the slanty lines and made it a bit more like Large Logo or GBRF, then yes, but not the way it was. It’s a shame the AC Loco Group’s Fictitious Liveries page seems to have disappeared, as there was a Dutch livery picture of 40135 on it. Looked great too.

Edited by 97406

14 hours ago, 97406 said:

I’m not a fan of Load Haul. If they got rid of the slanty lines and made it a bit more like Large Logo or GBRF, then yes, but not the way it was. It’s a shame the AC Loco Group’s Fictitious Liveries page seems to have disappeared, as there was a Dutch livery picture of 40135 on it. Looked great too.

Agree about the slanty lines but otherwise that looks hellfire. I want to see one in triple grey with petroleum decals now.

• Like 3

I've never had much of an issue with the windows but always use Hornby class 50/31 buffers. This is a TMC renumbered and dirtied slightly. Keep up the excellent work, living near the Crewe - Shrewsbury line in the 70s and 80s you make everything look just right.

1177197313_PICT0024(5).JPG.154fac854aca80ffb37a0f760f4f22e2.JPG

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GRUNFOS said:

I've never had much of an issue with the windows but always use Hornby class 50/31 buffers. This is a TMC renumbered and dirtied slightly. Keep up the excellent work, living near the Crewe - Shrewsbury line in the 70s and 80s you make everything look just right.

1177197313_PICT0024(5).JPG.154fac854aca80ffb37a0f760f4f22e2.JPG

They are very close on the latest Bachmann retool, but just a fraction of a mm too wide for my OCD. I’m looking forward to the Accurascale 37 as the prototypes look like the best rendition yet! The 40s do look good from that angle. Here’s 2 of mine from before their screen jobs.

D582E4F4-7F4B-4232-9ED1-0DF50B38AF2C.jpeg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, P.C.M said:

While on the subject of class 40s here is D200 on the summer dated llanbourne to Stoke service.

20210927_212704.jpg

20210927_212858.jpg

I do like the sun visors, they add a realistic edge. May have to do the same on some of mine. Have just got the loco that will become 118 on its way along with the green central headcode one I got the other day. That should keep me out of trouble for a month or two! Teeside Steelmaster is next :)  

16 hours ago, 97406 said:

I do like the sun visors, they add a realistic edge. May have to do the same on some of mine. Have just got the loco that will become 118 on its way along with the green central headcode one I got the other day. That should keep me out of trouble for a month or two! Teeside Steelmaster is next :)  

I will follow your progress, normally takes me longer than a month to get a loco sorted though. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, P.C.M said:

I will follow your progress, normally takes me longer than a month to get a loco sorted though. 

Cheers Peter.

The Shawplan screens are done over 3 or 4 days, and the locos are just patch painted around the screen area, with any weathering touched up afterwards. 37501 will be a full respray from a red stripe railfreight example, and will take longer.

The 2 new 40s will need lowering, and chassis details adding. I really should add the lifting points to my existing 2 retooled 40s and these as well, but I’m after some brass section as the Plastruct I’ve used on my Bachmann/Lima hybrids is a little too flimsy and needs a lot of cleaning up, so these could run into November. 

I have a Hornby 50 that I quite fancy doing the windscreen and nose job after that, with a repaint into large logo, which will be quite a challenge after the 37s and 40s. The masking around the black window surrounds will be fiddly, but I’ll do the ends first, so I can strip it down and start again (there’s a song in there somewhere!) if need be. That’s the plan at the moment. 

• Like 2