37422 Robert F Fairlie Nameplate size

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick question as my daughter bought me a Bachmann 37/4 37422 in the regional railways livery I was wondering the size of the nameplates (Robert F Fairlie) as the printed version on the bodyside seems to be a bit small compared to the etched ones. 

But I've purchased an etched set of plates and crests from Fox transfers that have the blue background and the length of them they're looking very odd as compared to the printed ones on the bodyside they appear to long. 

Before I commit to applying the etched plates which would be nearer the correct size?

I've looked on sites such as Flickr etc.. to see if 37422 had two versions of the same nameplates fitted during its spell in Regionsl railways livery.

Colin 

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't trust Fox on diesel nameplate size. Their Saltire Society ones were far too short compared to another manufacturer's, and photos clearly showed Fox were wrong. I tried to tell Fox but as usual when he makes a mistake, he wasn't having any of it, even in the face of photographic evidence. 

Looking at photos of the real thing, the small transfers look closer to the original. But did the real loco always have the same size plates? 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This is exactly my question I cant find photographic evidence to show that 37422 carried two different size plates. 

I'm reluctant to apply these plates I may have a look at another supplier such as model master or railtec as I cant seem to work out how to order from Shawplan.

3 hours ago, CovDriver said:

This is exactly my question I cant find photographic evidence to show that 37422 carried two different size plates. 

I'm reluctant to apply these plates I may have a look at another supplier such as model master or railtec as I cant seem to work out how to order from Shawplan.

If it helps: as someone who spends a large proportion of every single day manipulating images and scaling to size, my input here would be:

On the assumption that the RR stripe has the same dimensions as the ScotRail / InterCity stripes, then the outer dimensions of the plate in 4mm should be pretty much 13mm wide x 3mm tall. I have a square-on image of the plate also showing the RR stripe. Also looking at various images of 422 in RR colours through its career then I don't believe there were two different sizes of plate, at least on the 37 (and even if there were a possibility then this would be unusual given the cost). It's not a high enough res image from which to be able to make a suitable representation of the crest, but it has enough info to give me the above, which is what I would make it if I were just making the plate and not the crest (which I wouldn't have resource to do without a really hi res perfectly square-on image).

The images also show that there is almost as much space again either side of the plate between the grilles, which would not seem to align with the etched plate shown in the image above. If anything, I'd say the factory print is a closer representation.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Edited by railtec-models

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, railtec-models said:

If it helps: as someone who spends a large proportion of every single day manipulating images and scaling to size, my input here would be:

On the assumption that the RR stripe has the same dimensions as the ScotRail / InterCity stripes, then the outer dimensions of the plate in 4mm should be pretty much 13mm wide x 3mm tall. I have a square-on image of the plate also showing the RR stripe. Also looking at various images of 422 in RR colours through its career then I don't believe there were two different sizes of plate, at least on the 37 (and even if there were a possibility then this would be unusual given the cost). It's not a high enough res image from which to be able to make a suitable representation of the crest, but it has enough info to give me the above, which is what I would make it if I were just making the plate and not the crest (which I wouldn't have resource to do without a really hi res perfectly square-on image).

The images also show that there is almost as much space again either side of the plate between the grilles, which would not seem to align with the etched plate shown in the image above.

Hope this helps,

Steve

That helps very much indeed Steve, the representation of the crest that was supplied  I would say is passable just so I may use the crests only. 

As I've used your transfer style nameplates for 37558 before which was so easy I must add. 

I did look on your website yesterday but couldn't see anything as it was only a very quick browse.

Would you be able to do a set of plates for 37422 ?

Cheers 

Colin 

5 minutes ago, CovDriver said:

That helps very much indeed Steve, the representation of the crest that was supplied  I would say is passable just so I may use the crests only. 

As I've used your transfer style nameplates for 37558 before which was so easy I must add. 

I did look on your website yesterday but couldn't see anything as it was only a very quick browse.

Would you be able to do a set of plates for 37422 ?

Cheers 

Colin 

If it's just the plate itself then yes, I can get that put into a custom 3d run as it doesn't really require any new design work. I'll PM you.

The 3d plates have probably evolved several versions since the ones you last had, too.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Didn't it have nameplates in the pack?

Every Bachmann named diesel I've got has a set of Shawplan nameplates supplied.

Jason

There was no plates included as it was the Bachmann special offer from Rails.

• Informative/Useful 1