Hornby Toby the Tram Engine chassis

This is a question asked out of curiosity rather than for any real purpose, as I have no intention of altering Toby. Does Toby share a chassis with any other loco? It is much smaller than the standard 0-6-0 chassis used on Thomas, with wheels closer in size to the standard 0-4-0. I've had a look at the service sheet but there doesn't appear to be a part number for the chassis. Surely Hornby didn't go to the expense of designing a new chassis just for Toby when a standard 0-6-0 under an oversized body or a standard 0-4-0 under the actual bod would have sufficed (remembering that the wheels are hidden unless you are at track level and that Hornby's accuracy standards for this range were quite low - the class 37 standing in for a 40 springs to mind). I'd be interested to see if anybody knows of other locos with this chassis, and if it is unique why Hornby would have produced it.

G'day, all,

I've used a chassis block and motor mounts from a Hornby Bill/Ben to restore a Toby chassis afflicted with Mazac rot. As mentioned above, the chassis block has alternative positions for axles to facilitate assembly as an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0.

Regards,

Rob

Dunno about its family connections, but the Toby chassis is powerful, controllable and smooth. Mine is anyway. 

As for an oversized body, he's already at least S scale. How much more oversized do you want? 

10 hours ago, PatB said:

Dunno about its family connections, but the Toby chassis is powerful, controllable and smooth. Mine is anyway. 

As for an oversized body, he's already at least S scale. How much more oversized do you want? 

I agree that its a good chassis for a little loco. As for scale, I would imagine that the standard 0-4-0 would have been the obvious option for a standardised chassis, but if for whatever reason they were more committed to keeping the correct number of axles on Toby than the class 40/37 then they did have an option available.

11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think that they used a chassis from the continental range.

Same one as the Spanish 0-6-0T possibly.

Jason

On the service sheet the Electrotren models have only three spaces for wheelsets, not the four that Toby has.

Edited by DK123GWR

5 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Sadly it is unlikely to be made again as it is (c) guinan. Pity as it is a very smooth mechanism

Toby and Bill and Ben are, but surely the mech would not be, were it to be deemed suitable for another loco.

But if there are no more, maybe mine might be worth something one day.

8 hours ago, relaxinghobby said:

gwr1331.jpg.2009aa25be609fad4ef4ca01346895e7.jpg

Hornby chassis was a special for the Toby model I believe.

I think that must be the case as none of the obvious models seem to share it. It surprises me but I'm not complaining as the standard 0-4-0 would never run as well.