Kits of Scottish railway buildings

Ben Alder

Thought it might be an idea to collate this in a separate topic as there are stirrings of commercial interest in this subject and developments in technology are making it easier for small scale producers to create and market their products  and this might help awareness of them.

Firstly is the Peco Highland signal cabin, based on the surviving example and supplied as a laser cut kit.

https://peco-uk.com/products/highland-railway-signal-box

There is a forum topic on it here -

• Like 2

Another interesting development has come from Iain Ross, who is drawing up a growing range of buildings, mainly Highland, in both 3D resin and ply laser cut kits. He is not interested in the commercial side of this and has arranged for a social enterprise small company to market the laser side of things. They can be found here.

https://www.popupdesigns.co.uk/product-category/transport/

They look a bit basic on the page but can make rather attractive models with a bit of work. Here is a link to the forum page for it.

And an example of their small GNSR station I put together recently, a before and after.

Longmorn_kit.jpg.b596654f62be969113a614af8e8f923b.jpg

20200611_175436.jpg.92e0b57512c0f684572387aa7c9443a8.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

There are the print off kits available from the GNSR association on a disc in several scales. Very nice, and with a good variety (several designs of stations and goods sheds) as well. 

I also have on the back burner a rough model of the Inverness shed water tower archway in 4mm (dimensions estimated from photos) - designed to be cut in 3mm and 6mm ply, I'll dig out a screenshot of I have one. This was more of a "let's see if it can be done" model. If released would come under the Red Star Steam Packet Co. banner (which currently is just larger garden railway kits)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

wow, Inverness water tower was large fine edifice, and a gate way to the roundhouse it would be good to see a picture  - a 2mm one would be a fine model as well - could never afford to fill it with engines but  would be good to dream. 

Robert   

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

The son of Pop Up does these through his etsy shop - not an ideal medium for the average modeller to my mind, and not all of Iain's stuff is on it yet , but they will follow. Here is a link to what is there  at the moment.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OpenFactory

I bought one of the bridges yesterday to see what like.

I will report back when received.

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Gold

Scott,

I have two water columns and a bridge in N , all printed well and in 4mm will be better , In N the block definition is a little soft but quite paintable but was from Iain`s home printer as test.  The image shown is much sharper.  For just the ease of modelling the curved wingwalls are worth it!   The bridge is inspired by Carron on the Kyle line  but bridge hole is train sized so it can be an road over rail as well. 

The columns are a work of art and a defining HR structure.

Iain has uploaded  via etsy the water tower and Boat of Garten signal cabin, but have the wooden  version of the tower and await a more HR timber shed which is in the design stage. 

The engine shed should arrive today from Pop up so will have to see how it goes - it looks to be the basis of several buildings , when from the same designer`s hand you keep the house style.   I was tinkering with paper cutouts to use several sheds to make a station train shed inspired by Thurso/ Wick.   

Robert       

On 01/07/2020 at 10:30, Robert Shrives said:

wow, Inverness water tower was large fine edifice, and a gate way to the roundhouse it would be good to see a picture  - a 2mm one would be a fine model as well - could never afford to fill it with engines but  would be good to dream. 

Robert   

Yeah my thinking was for when I have a layout (a permanent loft set up idea) - most of the other bits and pieces I've designed for myself have eventually made it into a small scale level of production.  Found the files, but don't have a screen shot - will see if I can get a copy of AutoCAD to open them, as I usually use the CAD programs which are already on the computers at the lab I use.  I did the basic sketches on paper when away at sea last year, as well sketches of the Caley shed at Beattock and the GSWR design at Hurlford, Ayr & Dumfries (I had BR Steam Motive Power Depots - Scottish Region in my bag, hence why lots of MPD related sketches). Only the Inverness archway has been started in CAD though, may not do the others.  

Do like the look of the Highland shed available from Pop Up designs, and the other buildings would be very useful in creating a village scene - definitely match quite a few buildings out in Argyll that I can think of, and reminds me of a pub in Mallaig!

• RMweb Gold

Pop up Engine shed part built a very good starting point  The N model takes a 25/26 nicely , with a little use of scrap ply to add a plinth ready for track and the doors are supplied with a block to fit into notches in doorways cut off and fitted into holes to give a no door version - the doors are nicely cut in the ply with planking cleanly done but a scale 18" thick a bit over the top / armoured ! So fo a second one I might make a plasticard version using doors as a pattern.   Building is an impression based on Tain with hint of Kyle!  

Over the boundary fence was a large villa building not similar to the two story station buildings on the Kyle line, normal use of scrap wood to fill roof apex and a good model results .

Pictures to follow if I get a chance.

I think I have enough buildings to start  a model, hopefully single engine shed and cabin will appear from Iain during the next few months - no rush it is a hobby after all.  

Robert    

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone produce any tenement buildings for an urban layout?  Possibly a low relief back and front. I realise that there were different styles across the country but wonder if there could be a 'generic' style that could pass.

Gerry 

Preview of Iain's latest - 3D print of Rogart HR cabin. This will be available from Open Factory soon in either a left or right sided steps option. Cruel close ups of it out of the box as it were, with a quick spray of primer - it will be smoothed down when it reaches the bench.

20200801_215921.jpg

20200801_215930.jpg

20200801_215950.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

On 28/07/2020 at 14:15, Caley Jim said:

Having done a bit of research before I built my own tenement I quickly became aware that there was no such thing as a "standard" Glasgow tenement but I find this one a strange choice of a building to represent a Glasgow Tenement, it is very much an "upper class" tenement and probably unique to that "better" part of Glasgow.  I don't think they have the colour right, the kit looks far too grey in the photographs, Glasgow tenements were nearly all red sandstone.  If you are adventurous enough I can give you the basic prints that I used to build one based on a more widespread design of tenement.

26719606620_51125601f4_c.jpg

Jim

tenement.pdf

• Like 7