Kits of Scottish railway buildings

Ben Alder

• RMweb Gold

Ben Alder,

Signalcabins look good  in 4mm hopefully not to shabby in 2mm . Seen from the Edinburgh shop site the engine shed  looks good as well.  Not had chance to do more on lazer buildings as work ramped up with Welsh steam ops starting again.   But did try a fit on some boards while in Wales and all look ok, albeit only one cottage possible and large building will not fit at this stage - might get cut as low relief...

Robert    

• 1 month later...
On 25/10/2020 at 20:24, class26 said:

For those who model the Far North line here are two recent commissions I received from York Modelmaking as I am incapable of scratch building them !    

Both (I think) are unique to the Far North line and are the lattice bridge and the crossing gates as seen at Forsinard. The gates at Lairg I believe are very similar. The little gate to the right is of course courtesy of Peco.

The bridge is found at several places mainly on the northern half of the line. The bridge isn`t finished, it only has received a coat of primer so far , it is just plonked on the gap where the river will be

If anyone wants either of these just contact Julie at York Modelmaking and she will run them off for you. 

They are both for my new , Far North layout which will feature Forsinard station in full plus Thurso and a decent stretch of single track Flow Country between the two (where the bridge will be a feature.) 

Please excuse the rudimentary nature of the scenic work, it is all at a very early stage, when i am a little further on I will start a dedicated page on the layout forum but i hope these might be of some interest to other FNL modellers  

DSCN0429.JPG

DSCN0432.JPG

Looks far enough on for a thread!

4 hours ago, 26power said:

Looks far enough on for a thread!

Will be my first , slightly nervous  I suppose but am coming round to the same conclusion as you. Progress is restricted at the moment due to lack of Peco Bullhead track. With the latest lockdown imminent I can see this shortage of track not being resolved until well into 21. All very frustrating but it has made me progress with scenic work so new thread is imminent I think. Thanks for the nudge.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2020 at 20:24, class26 said:

For those who model the Far North line here are two recent commissions I received from York Modelmaking as I am incapable of scratch building them !    

Both (I think) are unique to the Far North line and are the lattice bridge and the crossing gates as seen at Forsinard. The gates at Lairg I believe are very similar. The little gate to the right is of course courtesy of Peco.

The bridge is found at several places mainly on the northern half of the line. The bridge isn`t finished, it only has received a coat of primer so far , it is just plonked on the gap where the river will be

If anyone wants either of these just contact Julie at York Modelmaking and she will run them off for you. 

They are both for my new , Far North layout which will feature Forsinard station in full plus Thurso and a decent stretch of single track Flow Country between the two (where the bridge will be a feature.) 

Please excuse the rudimentary nature of the scenic work, it is all at a very early stage, when i am a little further on I will start a dedicated page on the layout forum but i hope these might be of some interest to other FNL modellers  

DSCN0429.JPG

DSCN0432.JPG

I must admit I'm most impressed with that bridge. Is it possible to let me know what length it is. I model the Caledonian so these lattice trusses are seen on the Caley as well and I was wondering as I have one of the old Hornby stone bridges in stock if the trusses might be able to replace the stone balastrade on the Hornby bridge?

Here's the bridge I'm referring too

20201110_140357.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add photo

4 hours ago, Londontram said:

I must admit I'm most impressed with that bridge. Is it possible to let me know what length it is. I model the Caledonian so these lattice trusses are seen on the Caley as well and I was wondering as I have one of the old Hornby stone bridges in stock if the trusses might be able to replace the stone balastrade on the Hornby bridge?

Here's the bridge I'm referring too

20201110_140357.jpg

Hi

It is 413 mm in length

It looks better in real life than in my not very good photo. I now have a dedicated post on the layout forum so will place some pics there, probably after the weekend.

Hope that helps.

Very much so thanks the Hornby river bridge comes in at 334mm long a difference of 79mm a usefull overlap

The intention is to use one of the stone effect plasticard sheets to give the bridge a better stone finish this can also be used to extend the ends by about 40mm to match the length of the trusses, 

replace the rather toy like looking stone balastrade with these mesh effect trusses and maybe using the same stone effect plasticard sheet to build small turrets at either end.

Edited by Londontram
Add content

You will be pleased with the bridge from York. I should add that at first Julie sent me the decking which i thought was too wide so she cut a new one 15 mm less in width which looks better. Your choice of course or perhaps you will keep your existing base ? Again obviously your choice. Good luck and do let us see the result if you go through with it.

Edited by class26

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've posted this in my layout topic but thought I would copy in here as well.

I've taken the plunge and ordered one of the 3d printed Highland stone bridges which i believe are from 'son of pop-up designs' (apologies if this is incorrect).

It arrived today and it looks excellent, 'printing' lines nowhere near as visible as website photos etc show.

I'm using it as an overbridge at the scenic break but it looks like its supposed to be an underbridge as its fairly narrow and the parapets are too low, the parapets were fairly obvious from the website but the width not so much. Neither is an issue as its meant to be a track/country lane and I've started making some parapet extensions with Slaters embossed sheet which is very similar pattern to the bridges stonework. I particularly like the curved wing walls reminiscent of the Highlands and a feature of a lot of GNoSR bridges.

A couple of photos - untouched before Priming or anything.

IMG_0675.jpeg.1d302d8014e95e0f70c2402180af69de.jpeg

IMG_0676.jpeg.5ed0751688f1f452247ba6490d585c68.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks good- part of Iain Ross's output  - he does a lot of his stuff in a 3D option but he hasn't got that side of things fully settled yet thanks to current restrictions slowing up his liaisons with Pop Up's son who is handling them through his Open Factory etsy outlet.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Looks good- part of Iain Ross's output  - he does a lot of his stuff in a 3D option but he hasn't got that side of things fully settled yet thanks to current restrictions slowing up his liaisons with Pop Up's son who is handling them through his Open Factory etsy outlet.

Thanks, I couldn't quite remember the relationships.

As a bit of feedback I think an overbridge option (ie exactly the same design but higher parapets and slightly wider) would sell better than the underbridge as they are more commonly modelled. I'm happy with what I've got but as a venture that would likely be a good addition with very minimal design work. You seem to have some level of contact with Iain so maybe could pass on? - certainly not a criticism of what's been produced just hoping he's successful and offering some ideas.

Nice piece of work though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Will do - he's open to ideas and modellers feedback. Any suggestions or wants passed on.

Thanks Ben, that’s interesting- including possible other 3D versions of wooden kits.

Having nearly finished the Longmorn station in OO, it’s a nice kit but as a modeller I would have paid more for the finer detail of the 3D, using the photos of the 3D signal box as a guide (ie relief around Windows and ability to glaze etc).

In terms of general range it would probably be a good start to fill the gaps in the existing, by that I mean there is a Highland Railway Standard Goods Shed and Engine Shed but no Station or Signal Box. Then there are Standard GNoSR stations and signal box but no Goods Shed etc.

The only personal request from me at moment would be a GNoSR waiting shelter to compliment both the Longmorn and Grantown main buildings, similar timber shelters existed at stations with both Stone and Timber main buildings.

I hope this turns out to be a success for them as it looks a nice venture. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

He is working on a resin signal box ATM, and I have a Mk11 sitting on my bench for appraisal - the first had too much in the way of striations to be workable but the second looks better. Stations are on his list - he has ideas, and quite a few requests for several; there are drawings for some and others will need site visits so depend on saner times....I can't help him at all with GNS stuff, but he has a chap with a great interest in that company feeding him gen, so I am sure he will have a wish list for those as well. I know he has done a resin GNS kit for someone and I'll drop him a line to see if he has plans  in this direction. A lot depends on managing to get a smooth surface finish as thanks to the nature of their build it is nigh impossible to sand wooden board claddings, esp the HR board and batten one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

25hrs later, said kit has arrived, along with a Scottish cottage kit as a thank you! Phenomenal service and I wish them all the best with their range. Have any of the magazines been made aware of this ranges existence? 

Chuffed of Somerset. 

• Like 1

The RM had a small article in one of their summary pages a few months ago, and I have suggested putting together a PR, but so far they have not done so - the railway stuff is a small aside to his main ranges and as the 3D has not been finalised it will probably wait until things get back to normal. They did have plans to visit the two scottish shows but again this has not happened .

• Like 2

On 27/11/2020 at 22:27, slow8dirty said:

Just ordered the Rannoch kit, can't wait. 2020 proven to be a good year after all for West Highland modellers thanks to Pop Up and Dapol. ;)

Did not realise they had added Rannoch to the range. Just ordered one too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m also looking forward to seeing how the Rannoch kit looks. I found the Scottish Cottage ‘thank you’ useful to start on and get to know the kits, filling corners, scribing over filled joints etc before tackling the main purchase.

I will hopefully find it a place in the layout.

• Like 1