Bulleid 1940 W&C Stock

Arun Sharma

Perhaps not technically LT but certainly London underground rolling stock.

Soon to be available from Radley Models will be a 4mm Class 487 Trailer Second car. This will be followed by a 4mm DMBSO in its post-1956 form i.e., with the LT-designed axle box fittings. BR olive green, a sort of electric blue and NSE livery are all possible for these cars. Coupled to a suitable match wagon, they would be appropriate vehicles parked in a siding anywhere between Waterloo and Eastleigh.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Yes, the suspension units were designed by Acton works for BR(S) . They were essentially copies of the 1956TS boxes and suspension but for financial reasons, fitting wasn't completed until sometime in the early '60s. Full details are in John C Gillham's book on the W&C Railway (Oakwood Press, pp291 et seq)

Edited by Arun Sharma
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26 June 2020 at 23:34, Arun Sharma said:

Perhaps not technically LT but certainly London underground rolling stock.

Soon to be available from Radley Models will be a 4mm Class 487 Trailer Second car. This will be followed by a 4mm DMBSO in its post-1956 form i.e., with the LT-designed axle box fittings. BR olive green, a sort of electric blue and NSE livery are all possible for these cars. Coupled to a suitable match wagon, they would be appropriate vehicles parked in a siding anywhere between Waterloo and Eastleigh.

I have a recollection that at one time they were also worked to/from Selhurst for maintenance.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

Correct. When I was a trainee I worked on one at Selhurst, and went to get in the way when one was raised in the Anderson Lift at Waterloo. The coupler blocks had to be taken-off to get it in the lift and IIRc had to be put back on for haulage to the depot.

Is this a 7mm/ft model?

Some of the cars were still in green paint well into the 1970s, possibly even 1980, BTW, but the green wasn’t ‘olive’, it was quite a bright/light shade, presumably either ancient malachite or BR(S) EMU green. If a vegetable comes into it, I would say ‘grass’.

Edited by Nearholmer

I have produced a 7mm kit of the DMBSO for Radley Models but this TSO is a 4mm one. There will be a 4mm DMBSO once I complete my Bedford RL lorry [a 7mm one]. 

My recollection of the blue and green colours was that the appearance was almost a speckled glittter. Almost as if a lacquer finish had been applied on top of the base colour. There again, I never saw these cars in anything other than artificial lighting conditions and the normal early fading of blue would probably not have occurred to cars devoid of sunlight.

• 5 months later...

The resin kit for the class 487 TSO is very shortly to be released by Radley Models.  The ends have now been remastered and produced in resin like the rest of the car. All I have to do is write the [photographic] instructions and then it will be ready to go. The TSO has been released first because some want a train of these cars coupled between match wagons as a non-service train under tow to a depot for overhaul [over surface lines].

The basic parts as shown below:

resin parts.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

There was no such thing as a DMBSO. The guard rode in the leading cab of the last car in the train.

I drove them at Waterloo from 1980-1988 so know a bit about them. :)

What was the thing with reds on the front? 

• 3 weeks later...

The class 487 trailer test build is now complete - This is in post-1980 blue livery at which date the aluminium paint on doors and ends was being replaced by white paint.

Should be available from Radley Models in a couple of weeks.

16-complete1.JPGDelay in release due to having to replace the too flimsy resin bogies by lost wax brass ones. Additionally,  the WM ends have had to be replaced by resin ones as the WM ones were cast by Graham Jones at NMRS and are obviously no longer available

Edited by Arun Sharma
addnl info
  • Like 9

On 02/08/2021 at 11:06, Wagonmaster said:

That's looking really good! I had a look at the Radley Models website, but couldn't see them listed. All there was is a a DMSO with an invitation to order. Are any of these available in 4mm yet?

Phil's website is being rebuilt so there's a few new kits that don't appear yet. The DMSO is the 7mm one though I will start on a 4mm version soon.

7 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

Phil's website is being rebuilt so there's a few new kits that don't appear yet. The DMSO is the 7mm one though I will start on a 4mm version soon.

Thanks for that Arun. Maybe a call to Phil would be in order. Bit confused over the DMSO, it seemed to be listed in the 4mm section! No matter, I'll follow this thread and order a couple when you've done them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The so-called DMBSO did not have a separate compartment for the guard. He or she usually rode in the back cab of the back motor coach from Bank to Waterloo and the back cab of the train from Waterloo. They therefore "enjoyed" a quieter 4 minutes from Waterloo to Bank without the clatter of the contactors in the equipment compartment.

In the days of single unit operation, the guard always rode in the back cab.

The coaches with red things on are the driving motor coaches (DMSO). They were only fitted with red lights. There were no white marker lights.

An interesting detail is that following the employment of female guards in the late 1970s and 1980s, paint became noticeably worn at chest height in the cabs., which were quite narrow and a couple of the ladies were rather well built. :)

• Funny 2

• 1 year later...

Bit of a fun fact the 1940 W&C tube stock was the first London underground tube train model to be made available in 00-gauge ready to run 

Unfortunately it was only ever made available in LT red - a livery these units never wore - when introduced by Ever-Ready, the battery manufacturer, as their first and only model railway product in 1952

Google "Ever Ready underground train set" for photographs. I have one, it's really quite terrible as a model and mines substantially restored by me after I bought it as a wreck so not really original any more .

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 10 months later...

On the demise of Radley Models, my design work on the 4mm  1940 DMSO ceased although the 4mm TSO had been released the previous year - the logic being that some folk just wanted a couple of trailer cars attached to match wagons and being towed to Ashford and/or Lancing for overhaul. 

I have had a number of requests recently to revive design work on the 4mm DMSO although I am not sure whether it could be motorised easily depending on the availability of SPUDs and Black Beetles. Fortunately any tiny motor could sit vertically in the contactor compartment if a suitable powered bogie wasn't available.  The prototype [1959] powered bogie has a WB of 7ft 3in [29mm] with 3ft [12mm] wheel diameters so perhaps a fairly conventional size - The earlier original 1940 bogie had a 9inch shorter WB and was quite different in appearance.

At some point in the next month or so I will carry on with design work on the 4mm  1940 DMSO as a limited run.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1