kettering stabling sidings

18B

Just looking at the Track Maps books and in it, sow dotted are sidings called "Kettering Stabling Sidings" (Planned). Would anyone happen to know if these have now been opened? built or the plan scrapped??? TIA  

• RMweb Gold

Open Train Times maps show the sidings completed but since there are no units to stable I guess they could be considered not in use although the signalling system shows "TAMP" by signal 6078. They are labeled "Depot Siding 1- 4"

Geoff

They are built but I don’t think fully commissioned yet, I believe they were due to open with the December 2020 MML timetable and will stable the electrics. Predictably, this has fallen behind until May next year (unofficially).

There’s a tamper normally stabled in the engineers siding there currently, 

The drivers that will be based there have been passing out for the new depot over the past few weeks, but have been working out of Derby. 

• Informative/Useful 2

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 01:36, NorthEndCab said:

They are built but I don’t think fully commissioned yet, I believe they were due to open with the December 2020 MML timetable and will stable the electrics. Predictably, this has fallen behind until May next year (unofficially).

There’s a tamper normally stabled in the engineers siding there currently, 

The drivers that will be based there have been passing out for the new depot over the past few weeks, but have been working out of Derby. 

Oh, so will drivers be based there then? just thought it were stabling roads, but actually a proper depot then.... ?

1 hour ago, 18B said:

Oh, so will drivers be based there then? just thought it were stabling roads, but actually a proper depot then.... ?

Yes it will be a proper electric depot. I believe it’s main work will be the Corby-STP’s, but they will sign the bi-modes and 222’s as well, so can go a bit further afield. 

19 minutes ago, NorthEndCab said:

Yes it will be a proper electric depot. I believe it’s main work will be the Corby-STP’s, but they will sign the bi-modes and 222’s as well, so can go a bit further afield. 

I take it then that there was no room at Corby to site the depot and that there'll be empty stock workings in the mornings and evenings to and from Corby?

9 hours ago, 18B said:

I take it then that there was no room at Corby to site the depot and that there'll be empty stock workings in the mornings and evenings to and from Corby?

Not sure there was ever an intention to build anything at Corby other than maybe enhance the station and platform. I may well be wrong but I believe some maintenance equipment is going back in at Bedford's Cauldwell for maintenance, as distinct from the stabling sidings further up the MML. 

17 hours ago, 18B said:

Possibly, but there are currently empty stock workings to/from Derby, so it’s a vast improvement.

There was a rumour at one time that Thameslink would take over Corby - St Pancras and EMR wouldn’t stop south of Kettering.

That would only have involved TL drivers learning Bedford - Corby (Maybe 2 weeks Route learning at most). Far too simple a solution ;)