Grey strips on 1950's coaching stock?

Jeepy

Hello, 

Can i ask anyone who may know why did (Mostly 1950's i think) alot of coaching stock have Grey strips of paint on the body sides? 

It seems to me that it was covering something, maybe a number or lettering or even a change in classification perhaps? I'm only guessing but it would be interesting to me to know! 

Thanks ever so much, 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Hello, 

Can i ask anyone who may know why did (Mostly 1950's i think) alot of coaching stock have Grey strips of paint on the body sides? 

It seems to me that it was covering something, maybe a number or lettering or even a change in classification perhaps? I'm only guessing but it would be interesting to me to know! 

Thanks ever so much, 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

Are you referring to the rectangles of dark grey/black to be found on brake vehicles?. They were for writing the destination in chalk.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Ah! Thank you, i can't say I've seen any Black stripes except on wagons but the Grey on coaching stock is really what I was wondering about. 

Yes, it does seem to be mainly on the brake section so that would make sense from a parcel or mail loading point of view, especially in the case of multiple portioned trains that detach coaches en route, thank you! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

Yes. Chalkboards as they would call them now.

For writing things like destinations and special instructions on.

Also to stop them writing it on the nice, shiny, new coach side. Like in one of the episodes of Dad's Army where Captain Mainwaring keeps writing on Jones van and Jones gets peed off.

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The GUVs and CCTs had a small wooden board mounted at the r/h end of the body.

Parkin mentions that the painted panels weren't used that much and that staff still wrote on the body side anyway!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keefer said:

The GUVs and CCTs had a small wooden board mounted at the r/h end of the body.

Parkin mentions that the painted panels weren't used that much and that staff still wrote on the body side anyway!

Sometimes, the grime was so thick, you could write destinations using a damp rag to scrape it away, revealing the markings in body colour...

• Like 2