The Track Plan looks good Chris, with some interesting movements, and possible bottlenecks to keep the brain active.

As always, I look forward to seeing it's development.

Keep well, stay safe and enjoy.:good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 28/06/2020 at 07:38, The Bigbee Line said:

Nice. What’s the method of working the empty / loads to the colliery. Which I’m sure has a selection of private locos. Will the colliery be NCB or private. 

Same as Cwm Bach. The NCB loco pulls the loaded wagons into the exchange siding. The BR train arrives with the up empties into the main platform, runs around, uncouples the brake van and shunts it to the loop and then collects the full wagons from the exchange siding and shunts them onto the brake van. The released NCB loco retires to the colliery line clearing the exchange siding. The BR engine collects the empty wagons from the platform road and shunts them onto the exchange siding. The NCB engine advances and couples up to the empties before returning the colliery at leisure. The BR engine couples up to the full coal train ready to return down the valley. I may try to get a second exchange siding in as this will leave the loop line clear. Still lots of thinking to do. 

Regards,

Chris K

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2020 at 15:18, 81A Oldoak said:

Meanwhile, I am making progress with scratch-building the new signal box.

Was the old one embedded or did you just fancy starting a new one? I think i'd have found it hard to sell that and the station!

• Agree 3

Hi Chris.

The new layout looks interesting and should provide you with hours and hours of pleasure and lots of work too. I think a second exchange siding would be a very useful asset and as you say keeps the loop clear. 

I really look forward to seeing this layout develop and if it gives me half as much pleasure in following its progress as CB did then it will be fantastic but I am sure you will surpass your old layout.

Rod

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a photo of the Minerva Class 14 development model in Hornby Magazine today. I am sure it was shot on Cwm Bach!

Looks like an impressive model - any further diesels in the offing? one of the early LMS shunters maybe?

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I still think that Minerva should do a LNWR coal tank. After all they did get into parts of Wales and all over the West Coast and they lasted until the mid 50's giving rise to several livery options. How about it Chris.

Rod

• Agree 2

On 02/07/2020 at 18:13, pwr said:

There is a photo of the Minerva Class 14 development model in Hornby Magazine today. I am sure it was shot on Cwm Bach!

Looks like an impressive model - any further diesels in the offing? one of the early LMS shunters maybe?

Paul R

Paul,

The photos were taken on Cwm Bach. They have been posted in the Minerva section on RMWeb, on Facebook and in Western Thunder. The fundamental question when choosing what to make is "How many can we sell?" That shortens the list of candidates considerably. 

Chris

18 hours ago, railwayrod said:

I still think that Minerva should do a LNWR coal tank. After all they did get into parts of Wales and all over the West Coast and they lasted until the mid 50's giving rise to several livery options. How about it Chris.

Rod

Rod,

It is an attractive and simple locomotive, and they got into South Wales. 

Chris

Edited by 81A Oldoak
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

I must get on with Cwm Fawr, but I am side-tracked building Airfix kits of the Hawker Sea Fury FB11 and Hawker Tempest 1B. Unfortunately, my airbrushes have decided to go US and despite striping and cleaning them to within a millimetre of their lives they refuse spray paint. I must admit that I find airbrushes very temperamental creatures requiring a lot of maintenance, and mine are not cheap tools. A Trumpeter 1:72 Westland Wyvern also arrived in the post yesterday: I can't resist post-war Fleet Air Arm aircraft. 

Chris

• Like 7

Building baseboards, along with wiring and ballasting track, is one of those disagreeable tasks that must be endured before we can move on to the exciting stuff. Today I started cutting the beams and stretchers for the main boards for Cwm Fawr. They are exterior grade 9mm birch ply. The top will be 6mm ply. I also cut a bagful of cleats from 20x20 PAR stripwood for strengthening the joints. I confess that in a moment of weakness I priced up some of the baseboard kits on the market, but for comparable quality timber the price for what I need was was between £245 and £375, which compares poorly with the circa £40 I paid from a local merchant. And they still have to be assembled.

So assembly next. I must keep fighting off the temptation to use the space for a 1950s/60s East Anglian diversion in 4mm scale. Get thee behind me...

Chris K

Baseboards_1_Cwm_Fawr.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, 81A Oldoak said:

So assembly next. I must keep fighting off the temptation to use the space for a 1950s/60s East Anglian diversion in 4mm scale. Get thee behind me...
Chris K

Go for it Chris...I did...

2006 LDF J15.JPG

LDF 0406 complete.JPG

• Like 12

On 18/07/2020 at 20:14, Gilbert said:

Go for it Chris...I did...

2006 LDF J15.JPG

LDF 0406 complete.JPG

:offtopic: That's nice Chris, it reminds me of my OO Gauge Masons Lane with the Level Crossing and Canal section.:good:

1113880355_MasonsLane100.JPG.f089818e81360f8a611335d1ce9cd255.JPG

Back on Topic for Chris, and the board making is always the bit I hate most, but if it leads to another superb Layout, then it has to be done.

All the best.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Chris.

Did I really see Great Eastern and 4mm scale? Would you really wander off into those tiny far flung places on the east coast and dessert 0 gauge? Go GER if you wish but please stick with the larger scale. Your layouts have always been a source of inspiration to me and many others and I am certain that your efforts have encouraged many 4mm modellers to adopt the best of scales.

Rod

12 hours ago, railwayrod said:

Hey Chris.

Did I really see Great Eastern and 4mm scale? Would you really wander off into those tiny far flung places on the east coast and dessert 0 gauge? Go GER if you wish but please stick with the larger scale. Your layouts have always been a source of inspiration to me and many others and I am certain that your efforts have encouraged many 4mm modellers to adopt the best of scales.

Rod

No need to panic, Rod. I will probably start assembling the two main boards later to day and I am also most of the way through building a Y-point for Cwm Fawr. Most importantly, I have commissioned Narrow Planet to etch the nameplate for Cwm Fawr signal box so it is happening. As a sideline project over the winter, I may build a quick 4mm scale cameo layout of an ex- GER goods only branch around 1960 inspired by Iain Rice's "Fen Drove" layout idea. If I do, I will probably experiment with 5mm foamboard for the base as Chris Nevard has done. My other distraction at the moment is building kits of post-War Fleet Arm Aircraft. I have almost finished an Airfix 1:72 Sea Fury FB11 and have a Trumpeter 1:72 Westland Wyvern S4 at the top of the stash. I have my eyes on a Fairey Gannet and then it will be onto the jets. 

Regards,

Chris

Edited by 81A Oldoak
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

.... My other distraction at the moment is building kits of post-War Fleet Arm Aircraft.

Hi Chris,

Post-war FAA aircraft are an interest of mine as well.  Before I got the railway modelling 'bug' again, I had previously returned to my first 'love' (aircraft modelling) but now in 1:48 scale (so nearly O-Scale!), rather than the 1/72 kits of my childhood/youth.  My aim was to build the aircraft used by the FRU/FRADU (Fleet Requirements Unit/Fleet Requirements & Air Direction Unit) out of Hurn (now Bournemouth Airport) and NAS Yeovilton -  I lived in Poole at the time.  Did not get many done, but the ones I completed, appeared here;

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/seahornetf20sn_1.htm

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/seahawksn_1.htm

http://hyperscale.com/2010/features/tsr2whatif48sn_1.htm

The latter (the last model I completed) is a 'What-If' diversion of course!  I also reviewed several books about FAA aircraft that came out at the time, on the same website (won't put the many links here, you can find them on the site if interested).  Still have a pair of Canberras (one to be a target tug, the other to be an RAE example in 'Raspberry Ripple' scheme) packed away in a box, partly completed.  I may go back and finish them one day, if I get the chance.

Sorry this is all a bit 'off topic', I am nevertheless looking forward to seeing this new layout of yours, develop.

Regards

Steve

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/07/2020 at 08:30, 81A Oldoak said:

No need to panic, Rod. I will probably start assembling the two main boards later to day and I am also most of the way through building a Y-point for Cwm Fawr. Most importantly, I have commissioned Narrow Planet to etch the nameplate for Cwm Fawr signal box so it is happening. As a sideline project over the winter, I may build a quick 4mm scale cameo layout of an ex- GER goods only branch around 1960 inspired by Iain Rice's "Fen Drove" layout idea. If I do, I will probably experiment with 5mm foamboard for the base as Chris Nevard has done. My other distraction at the moment is building kits of post-War Fleet Arm Aircraft. I have almost finished an Airfix 1:72 Sea Fury FB11 and have a Trumpeter 1:72 Westland Wyvern S4 at the top of the stash. I have my eyes on a Fairey Gannet and then it will be onto the jets. 

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

I would certainly recommend trying 5mm foamboard. So long as it is sufficiently braced and I think includes a certain amount of strip wood at the corners, it works well. I have built a couple of small layouts using it - both in the mainstream scale of 5.5mm:foot. I liked the way things went together quickly and easily and were easy to modify.

SDC11708.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1