Dale Junction in HO Scale

benjy14

Thanks Jack :) I have been enjoying seeing the progress on your layout as well.

This weekend, I have been getting the layout ready for a virtual demonstration. I have resolved a number of small issues, including a derailment problem in one of the helixes that seemed to come out of nowhere(!) and continuing the programme of ensuring the wagons towards the front of each train are properly weighted, and (touch wood), it seems to be running well.

I have also been doing some "research" by watching the superb "Big Boy Collection" by Pentrex, which features a program covering all 24 locomotives and "Last of the Giants", which was a publicity film shot by UP in the last year of Big Boy operations on Sherman Hill. One of the things that it showed was that not all eastbound trains crossed from Track 1 to Track 2 at the Junction; indeed, there was footage of Big Boy hauled trains both using the crossing but also streaking through at full speed on Track 1. I have therefore configured iTrain to allow this to happen but under normal operation, the trains will switch tracks. However, it has allowed me to stage the shot below of #4022 on an eastbound manifest freight on Track 1 passing in front of the recently finished rockface:

71.jpg.fc6ba0ae731d2955fac0394d299630f5.jpg

Edited by benjy14
Re-uploaded image
  • Like 9

I spent the past week concentrating on getting the layout ready for an online presentation to a group of friends on Saturday evening. The effort paid off and for more than an hour, it ran almost faultlessly and at one time, there were five trains on the move simultaneously. The two faults that did occur where an uncoupling and a derailment. I have tweaked the couplers on the miscreant wagons, although there did not appear to be an awful lot wrong with them. The derailment I'll come to later.

I did also progress the scenry on the middle level in preparation for the evening, which means that I have now completed the basic ground cover around Dale Junction; this is how it looks from the far corner of the railway room:

73.jpg.4e901dc1517268134dc54bb78eea9524.jpg

Above sees Mikado #2483 leading the breakdown train through the Junction. I have also created a little scenic feature in the form a "Gricer's Camp" next to the Hermosa tunnel portals, below:

72.jpg.217060f9326e767c0737fe2bb30c55de.jpg

Today, I have tackled a job I've been meaning to do for a while and that was assemble three kits of Rix telegraph poles below:

74.jpg.a605789a6f9de2f2ae6242f1b50a29ce.jpg

I don't think it'll be enough for the whole layout but it's a start. Unfortunately, trying to source some more is proving difficult and they will probably need to come from the US, which given the changes in VAT rules could be problematic (to say nothing of the delivery charge). I may therefore wait until I have a larger order...

Finally, I have also built a scenic feature on the upper level in the form of a grade crossing:

75.jpg.1f347e645c93e60e6b51d0347f6cd321.jpg

The crossing is being guarded by "wig-wag" style crossbucks made by NJ International. However, they seem to be back-to-front, if you see what I mean, with the horizontal arm over the road... But it's how they came so I assume it must be correct!  The next job on the upper level will be get the track ballasted, something I expect is going to take quite a while!

Installing this crossing has led me to also figure out why I got the derailment... The leading wheelset of the rear power bogie of #4022 rides up on to the central plate of the crossing, so I am pretty certain the back-to-back of at least one set of wheels is wrong. I will look at this in due course.

All-in-all, an excellent weekend :) 

Edited by benjy14
Re-uploaded images
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, long island jack said:

Wig wag goes on other side of road with cross buck on the other side, some photos in this site, look at UP locations in the list. 

http://www.trainweb.org/dansrailpix/masterlist.htm

Look at Colton 9th and O Street

Ah, thanks!  So I guess then that means there should be a crossbuck or similar on the right side of the road?

Today. I've constructed a pair of crossbucks for the grade crossing and moved the wig-wags to the other side of the road, as shown below:

76.jpg.7082477d7fdb5a28a7a4c51c69d189b0.jpg

I've also put a couple of cars in place but they're going to need drivers!  I don't know if this is now overkill, especially for a crossing in the middle of nowhere...  I'm wondering if wig-wags were only where there was a sidewalk?  In the longer term, I would like to get an animated crossing here, if it's correct for the period I model.

Also, I've put together a short video showing Challengers heading through Dale Junction, which I've uploaded to YouTube:

Enjoy :) 

Edited by benjy14
Re-uploaded image
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben, the grade crossing has the makings of a really nice ‘cameo’ scene.  I think there were examples of wig-wag signals in rural locations - I believe their electric power requirements were quite minimal.  I do wonder if, for your remote location, it’s unlikely there’d be two cars waiting at the crossing though: more likely just one truck, and most likely no vehicles at all.

Trying to visualise it, I realised I was finding it hard to imagine a grade crossing with no-one around, just because it’s something I never see (by definition!), but the signals would still operate.  

I imagine the road surface will look quite dusty and dirty too by the time you’ve finished blending it in with the rest of your scenery.  I really enjoy the short videos of trains passing - good to see the layout running, thank you for sharing them, Keith. 

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2021 at 07:34, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi Ben, the grade crossing has the makings of a really nice ‘cameo’ scene.  I think there were examples of wig-wag signals in rural locations - I believe their electric power requirements were quite minimal.  I do wonder if, for your remote location, it’s unlikely there’d be two cars waiting at the crossing though: more likely just one truck, and most likely no vehicles at all.

Trying to visualise it, I realised I was finding it hard to imagine a grade crossing with no-one around, just because it’s something I never see (by definition!), but the signals would still operate.  

I imagine the road surface will look quite dusty and dirty too by the time you’ve finished blending it in with the rest of your scenery.  I really enjoy the short videos of trains passing - good to see the layout running, thank you for sharing them, Keith. 

H Keith.

Thank you :)

Interesting about wig-wags because as you say, they would need power. Sherman Hill became fully CTC in 1953 when Track 3 was opened, so power must have been made available along the route... Fair comment about the cars, although of course with the length of the trains, if you did get caught, you would be there a while! 

I will try to get some more videos shot as I do like them as well but I am taking an intentional rest from the layout apart from running the odd train. That said, I have worked out that I think I do have enough telegraph poles for the layout because according to a special edition of Model Railroader (that was all about the right-of-way), such poles are normally between 100' and 150' apart... If I set out the ones I have in stock using 40cm gaps (i.e. about about 115'), I do have enough for the whole of the upper level, and I only need a few for Dale Junction as the pole route was not directly adjacent to the track at the junction... A result, given the cost of having a pack or two sent from the States!

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 4

So some mixed results this weekend...

I have been wondering what to do with the second helix and, after considering a couple of ideas, I have decided the best plan is to scenic it along the same lines as the first helix. I enjoyed the rock face construction so much that I am going to have another go but on a grander scale. My intention at the moment is to have a crack at somewhere like Weber or Echo Canyon; obviously not a part of Sherman Hill but an interesting project. I therefore purchased some more 4mm plywood and 2x1 for framing, and set about trying to install a backscene as the starting point. This is where I came a little unstuck...

77.jpg.f5aa042cc6d14d110bc9ee4f32ce5c2e.jpg

Cutting the plywood itself (with some help from my lovely local carpenter) was not too hard, as seen above, even accounting for the gradient of the helix, and this shows what I hope to achieve; the curved backscene making an interesting area and hopefully I can disguise the 27" and 30" radius curves (a bridge perhaps?). There will be fascia on the front to disguise the turn immediately below the visible track and overhead lighting. This is presently Code 100 track and I don't think I will change it for Code 83 as it's laid and works nicely; I think with appropriate weathering, it will look fine (it also not laid on cork). What I struggled was trying to create some framing for it; with the plywood being curved, it proved too much to do with only one set of hands. I am also stuggling find the best way to make the framing, so this is a project I will put on the backburner for now.

Where I did have considerably more success was a project that has come from the helix work. A little while ago, I purchased a curved right-hand point because I was considering extending the helix to create additional storage; whilst it did fit, I was not sure how useful storage would be (as trains would obviously have to reverse out of it) and decided in the end I wanted more scenery on the layout. I did, however, want to try to add a little more storage if I could and find a use for this point, and then it hit me; the bottom half of Helix B on has a single track (Track 3) as it climbs from storage to come out on the second level. I could utilise this point to lay in a second track, which would give me another (very long) storage track (in fact, so long it might even take two trains). The question was, could I lay track into the existing helix with limited vertical clearance?  The answer, as it turns out, is yes:

78.jpg.e27ebcfc11ba768a50f14bd0a5f2e4ac.jpg

Obviously very poor light and most definitely not the neatest but, to my immense relief, it works (Peco Code 100 track really is bulletproof to withstand what I put it through to get this done). What has made this possible the fact that I have used MDF for the helix construction, which has made it relatively easy to knock in the trackpins despite having very little space to swing the hammer (had it been ply, it would not have been possible). To lay the plain track, I am going to use the track at the top of the helix as a template to cut it to size and solder the jumpers across the joints, pre-drill holes for the track pins, and then feed it in from the inside of the helix to join up with the previous section. I am intending to put in a point at the top of the climb to form a very long loop roughly where #3942 is standing:

79.jpg.af154f9c299d9da50b5fb237d6ef70fb.jpg

Of course, it would have been massively easier to have done this during construction (I wish I had thought of it at the planning stage!) and I am under no illusion that it is going to be very awkward... However, I think the effort will pay off massively in having an additional storage siding for one or even two trains; the seed of this idea came from the most recent edition of Model Railroad Planning, where the author of an article had actually constructed an entire new helix inside an existing helix to create more storage space!

Edited by benjy14
Re-uploaded images
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This weekend, I've been continuing on the two projects I started last weekend, both of which have made good progress :)

On the top of Helix A, I have pretty much finished fitting the backscene and fascias. The key to getting it started was to fit two uprights to the backscene prior to fitting it i.e. fit the framing to the backscene rather than the other way round. The uprights are fitted to the top of the benchwork inside the helix, providing a very strong anchor. It was a little fiddly trying to account for the gradient within the helix and I did not get it quite right but a little shim sorted out out. Below shows the nearly finished woodwork:

80.jpg.aa8a09bc486ef13cf48c0fe93e4a6463.jpg

I need to add some plywood around the right-hand portal but I think otherwise, it is ready to start painting. As mentioned in my previous post, I am considering some tall rock faces to make an impact and try to hide the sharpness of the curves, perhaps even with a short tunnel or bridge. We'll see how it pans out!  The entrance to the railway room is now also quite different, as shown below:

81.jpg.93c4dc6a3586b98f053365a648cc6ae7.jpg

I think it is now looking more balanced and it is interesting to have scenery at eye level on both sides as you enter. I need to consider how much more hiding of the left helix to do; I definietely want parts of it open to be able to track the trains in them but I do think more needs to be hidden.

I have also been progressing installing the new storage siding in the bottom half of Helix B.

82.jpg.906f6216e003670c017341fc355c2e4d.jpg

I have installed the point at the top of the helix, pretty close to where the track emerges on to the scenic section, above. I have then been installing the track from the bottom point and Light Mikado #2483 below shows that the first complete turn is laid:

83.jpg.1b19636ce7d5b528986443ec452c1900.jpg

The lower point is going to need some fettling as it's on a climbing turn and initial trials show it needs a little superelevation to help guide the leading trucks of the locomotives around the curve into the inner track. I'm sure it can be made to work reliably with some trial-and-error... I hope to get this project completed next weekend using some Peco point motors and an old Lenz LS150 I found (quite literally) at the back of a cupboard.

Edited by benjy14
Re-uploaded images
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, benjy14 said:

I need to consider how much more hiding of the left helix to do; I definietely want parts of it open to be able to track the trains in them but I do think more needs to be hidden.

How about some semi-translucent ("smokey") plastic sheet, so that you can see movement, but otherwise it remains a grey/brown smudge that doesn't distract?

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 15/03/2021 at 09:19, Regularity said:

How about some semi-translucent ("smokey") plastic sheet, so that you can see movement, but otherwise it remains a grey/brown smudge that doesn't distract?

Thanks for the suggestion. What I am concerned about, to be honest, is catching run-aways on the very rare occasion that I get a train uncoupling whilst ascending a helix. I have made great strides in improving reliability over the past couple of months, as you may have seen if you've been following this thread, but it does occasionally still happen, so I need to be able to react and stop the run-away before it collides with something!  However, if I do reach the point where I am completely confident in the running qualities, then it is something I will definitely look at :) 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Could you put fabric covers on attached with Velcro sewn on across the top so they can be ripped off quickly if there’s a runaway. Make them in 18 or 24” wide strips that hang down from the top and overlap by an inch at the side. Make them the same colour as the fascia?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Could you put fabric covers on attached with Velcro sewn on across the top so they can be ripped off quickly if there’s a runaway. Make them in 18 or 24” wide strips that hang down from the top and overlap by an inch at the side. Make them the same colour as the fascia?

That is a great idea, thank you!  The first warning of a runaway is the sound, so that could be a great compromise :) As the fascias are black, that would be very to colour match!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just thinking that several strips, although more work to make, can just be pulled off and dropped while you sort it. A wider sheet might be a trip / catch hazard if just one end hung on. 
We used similar on my Fathers shed layout between the scenes but they gave nice fast access to points either end of the yard. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has continued over the past couple of weeks and the new storage road in Helix B is now completed. These are perhaps not the most interesting set of photos but show the finished result. Starting below, the point at the top of the helix:

86.jpg.d3ca7f1d6607bca45c643ac7d7fac2a9.jpg

I had to nail a little extension on to the side of the baseboard in order to secure the motor. Below is the pont at the bottom of the helix.

87.jpg.8e30c46046d9012d137775b31dc11d84.jpg

The motors are two old Peco units driven by a DCCconcepts DCD-ADS2SX unit, which has plenty of grunt to throw these old motors reliably. In the background is Challenger #3942, which has been stopped by iTrain in the right place to remain clear of the point.

88.jpg.46f3c039ebf6536c01acf6a79f07ac6a.jpg

The photo above shows just how room I've created in the new loop; the back of #3942's train is not quite above the locomotive, and there is another whole turn between the caboose and the upper point. Whilst it has been a challenge to retrofit this loop after building the helix, it has definitely been worthwhile!  My current plan is to use it to store a long, double-headed train facing downhill; that does make it an eastbound train on Track 3 but there is photographic evidence that this did happen with an FEF-3 piloting a Big Boy, so that is what I will aim to recreate.

In motive power news, there have been two new arrivals recently:

84.jpg.d3020d7f4f47385c8406b286c5481710.jpg

Big Boy #4020, above, is a BLI Paragon3 model and is the second example I have of this running number. Following running-in, it will be given to SH Modelmaking to have its identity changed to #4021.

85.jpg.fa115cfdaa1f28e1a4be39a3e9972864.jpg

Finally, I have also purchased a BLI Paragon3 #4014, above. This is a slightly odd model, as it has come with an oil burning tender but is otherwise not (as far as I can tell) decorated how the real one was last year following its return to steam. I have therefore decided to take this as an opportunity to create two unique locomotives for myself... UP converted a few of the Challengers to oil burners and they remained like that until retirement. Therefore, #4014 and #3942 (which was one of the converted Challengers) will also be going to SH Modelmaking to have their tenders swapped and #3942 will become #3705, thus giving me two unique models :) 

Edited by benjy14
Re-uploaded images
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Work over the past couple of weeks has been focussed on completing the woodwork for the scenic section at the top of Helix A and then painting. The first photo below shows the top of Helix A with the woodwork complete and the track ballasted:

89.JPG.74ab35498a25d3ae3e2628b67d52aae9.JPG

90.JPG.488da05fe9cf4ae2b6bbb844884d9769.JPG

Above shows Big Boy #4020 on the newly ballasted track. It is clearly Code 100 but I don't think it looks too bad, and hopefully the scenery will be the focus of this scene. The show below shows the effect I wanted to achieve; it's impssible to tell how long the train is...

91.JPG.dd761a6a6f7af31a2e184ca1d9f4c087.JPG

I am now part-way through getting all of the bare wood painted. Everything is undercoated and as seen below, the backscene is now painted sky blue:

92.jpg.3b056ff0e3ea8bb09c3f0c2bcd5a988d.jpg

The next stage is to get the fascias painted and then to continue ballasting the remaining track, a task I expect to take a while as there is nearly 20' to get through... With the world starting to get back to normal, I expect the pace of work to slow a little but suffice to say that I am so pleased to have reached this stage!  By way of comparison, the photo below shows how Helix A looked precisely one year ago today...

93.jpg.4142d8215ef16aa347d0edd59529ee3b.jpg

Edited by benjy14
Re-uploaded images
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a few weeks since my last post but this will be the first of two I plan for this evening. As I thought would happen, with lock down restrictions being lifted, things are starting to return to normal, the railways on which I volunteer are operating passenger trains again, we can get out-and-about, and so progress on the layout has slowed. Not that I mind!  The layout is much further on that I possibly could have imagined it would be when we cut the first wood in November 2019... So, some photos of recent work...

First up, as I have previously mentioned, I have a slightly mad idea to try and collect all 25 Big Boys. There will be more on this ambition in the next post but one of the challenges this presents in somewhere to store them all. I am determined they will not sit in boxes but will be active models on the layout. I am therefore planning a cassette system to store spare locomotives off the layout. Thanks to my wonderful local carpenter, I have now constructed the prototype "Big Boy Cassette", as shown below:

94.jpg.d1edea504935042fb13992554b4cc3f0.jpg

95.jpg.c074a8ed1ff85764b6d5814de16fdc85.jpg

The half-height end piece will allow the number of the rear of the locomotive's tender to be visible. Track will be aligned using ModelTech track aligners. The only thing missing is a small groove on the inside edge of the side pieces at the "open" end of the cassette to allow an end piece to be slid into position. The cassettes will be stored on shelves beneath the layout, which I have mocked-up below:

96.jpg.99532dbd7ecd9a65f86b24ddc7bca7f7.jpg

There will be four shelves in total, each capable of holding five cassettes, giving a total of 20 storage slots. With the holding sidings at End A of the storage yards and several trains on the layout, that gives me sufficient capacity for all the Big Boys, plus a few other locomotives :) My intention is to have two shelves allocated as Cheyenne Depot and two as Laramie, allowing me to simulate the locomotive swaps that happened on the real thing. In particular, in the year I model (I've settled on 1956), the Big Boys worked pretty much exclusively over Sherman Hill as the subdivions to the west had been taken over by diesel traction.

On the scenery front, I have been landscaping...

97.jpg.c4bf777557a7f145f78f8c8f21f9aacc.jpg

Shown above is the polystyrene formers for the hill that disguises the top of the Helix B. I need to do a little more shaping and then I will cover them in plaster.

Finally, the water tower for Dale Junction is shown below:

99.jpg.25438b540e31e1d2200994bae65bbcc3.jpg

A big "thank you" to Simon from SH Model Making, who managed to rescue this model after my rather poor attempt at constructing the kit. It will get properly "planted" once the scenery on the upper level has been completed. By way of a little teaser, one of the layout's new Big Boys, #4017, has paused to take water; more that in the next post!

• Like 9

The second of tonight's posts and time for some Big Boy action!

I recently purchased from ModelTrainStuff in the US four Athearn Genesis Big Boys. They have been run-in and speed calibrated, and are now at work on the layout. They are very good models and run exceptionally well. I think the BLI models have the edge in terms of the fine details but a very welcome boost the locomotive fleet. I now have 11 of the Big Boys in my collection (plus a duplicate #4014), so I am nearly half-way to my target of collecting all 25 examples. However, my wallet needs a break and I need to costruct the cassette system described in the previous post before contemplating buying any more...! 

100.jpg.77193c76a597a5c2262fe7bb68a36668.jpg

Above #4005 thunders over the grade crossing just west of Sherman.

101.jpg.cdd4557713e1533d869fc807264b4752.jpg

Above #4017 is on the last few yards of Track 3 with a westbound freight.

102.jpg.ef1499f917df8028501b4537b037385a.jpg

Above #4002 is on an eastbound freight on Track 2. The locomotive is in as-delivered condition before the aftercoolers were modified, so it will not use Track 3 as the modifications pre-dated the completion of Track 3 in 1953.

103.jpg.48ae88f4c18ca339ebd9470f260b66ef.jpg

Above #4004 crosses from Track 1 to Track 2 at Dale Junction with an eastbound freight.

104.jpg.671843f5c850ec3bb6b0d24645d558eb.jpg

Above A side-on view of #4004 showing the white trim. I have no idea if this is prototypical but it makes for a very striking model!

105.jpg.babf39b2b4e8a440a348539f4459c4ab.jpg

Above is a photo that really sums up what my layout is all about... Big Boys working across Sherman Hill at the end of steam on the Union Pacific. #4004 is eastbound on Track 2 as #4017 comes off Track 3.

106.jpg.274113a88add821dbc453c80ece30f2d.jpg

And finally, above shows #4017 a few yards on as it gains Track 2, where it will remain on the descent to Laramie. The new water tower is visible, which has helped to really helped make the layout more identifable as Dale Junction.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Benjy, I've just spent a fabulous hour going through your thread. I've been a UP fan since childhood and have been fortunate to visit the area on 5 occasions. I even cycled over Sherman in 2005 and got confronted by the ranchers wife at Dale, her rifle was very visible. I did survive however and love the area. You really have captured the feel of the high plains.  

By coincidence  I've recently started a thread of my American Railway pictures And over the next few months will be putting them on. Today my last photo is from the cab of an SDP40F as the 25 yr old me set off for a cab ride over Sherman on track 1.  Photos of Dale and Hermosa will appear over the next couple of days. There will be more of the same area in months to come.

I loved the bit in your video where the loco goes under the tail of the train.  I am sad enough to have sat at Tehachapi, counting cars till that happens. 75 modern freight cars is the answer.  

I will folow this thread with great interest.  If you are interested in photocopies of the USGS maps of Sherman hill, feel free to send me a PM with your email address. I bought the maps when I was planning my cycling trip.

All the best.

Jamie

• Like 5

On 29/05/2021 at 19:28, benjy14 said:

... with lock down restrictions being lifted, things are starting to return to normal, the railways on which I volunteer are operating passenger trains again, we can get out-and-about, and so progress on the layout has slowed. Not that I mind! 

I couldn’t agree more! Hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. On the theme of your layout, articulated steam locos are always a great day out whether large or small. 

Meanwhile my train set isn’t making much progress either. 

• Like 1

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to these posts!  It's been a very busy week and work and then a very busy weekend working on the layout (more on this later...).

On 30/05/2021 at 16:01, jamie92208 said:

Hi Benjy, I've just spent a fabulous hour going through your thread. I've been a UP fan since childhood and have been fortunate to visit the area on 5 occasions. I even cycled over Sherman in 2005 and got confronted by the ranchers wife at Dale, her rifle was very visible. I did survive however and love the area. You really have captured the feel of the high plains.  

By coincidence  I've recently started a thread of my American Railway pictures And over the next few months will be putting them on. Today my last photo is from the cab of an SDP40F as the 25 yr old me set off for a cab ride over Sherman on track 1.  Photos of Dale and Hermosa will appear over the next couple of days. There will be more of the same area in months to come.

I loved the bit in your video where the loco goes under the tail of the train.  I am sad enough to have sat at Tehachapi, counting cars till that happens. 75 modern freight cars is the answer.  

I will folow this thread with great interest.  If you are interested in photocopies of the USGS maps of Sherman hill, feel free to send me a PM with your email address. I bought the maps when I was planning my cycling trip.

Thank you for your comments about my layout Jamie! I've likewise spent some time reading through your thread and love the photos from Sherman Hill; I will certainly be making reference to them as I develop the layout. I look forward to seeing more of your photographs :)  Yes, the train in the helix is quite a sight!

On 30/05/2021 at 22:08, Mol_PMB said:

On the theme of your layout, articulated steam locos are always a great day out whether large or small. 

Meanwhile my train set isn’t making much progress either. 

And I couldn't agree more about articulated steam locomotives :) Like you (and I'm pretty certain, nearly all modellers), I find that work on the layout goes in fits and starts; sometimes it is hard to find the motivation to do anything, whereas other times the layout comes on leaps-and-bounds in very short order. Speaking on which...

This weekend has seen a lot of woodworking completed. Work has focussed on the cassette system for the locomotive collection. First of all, the shelves to hold the cassettes have been constructed, below:

107.jpg.cf32d9d03f9923fd3d9d66b5bf08193c.jpg

They are made from 12mm playwood and have stop blocks fitted to ensure the cassettes do not slide too far back.

To swap the locomotives on the layout, the storage yard baseboard has been widened so that the existing siding can swing round to a cradle for the cassetters, below:

108.jpg.5410f0a44dc9a68530e38186c727c853.jpg

This is currently laid with flexitrack but I am going to replace it with 3rd radius (21") SetTrack to ensure reliable operation (the Big Boys can operate down to 18"). I am going to use ModelTech ProTrack Rail Aligners to align the track; haven't quite worked out how to make the electrical connection yet but some form of plug-and-socket arrangement is what I have in mind.

To increase storage capacity under the layout, more shelves were constructed, below:

109.jpg.ec913ffded5653e472d7b63871df418b.jpg

...and they are slowly being filled. Finally, the shelves for the cassettes created a little alcove which I've utiliised to provide storage below:

110.jpg.9270c564d6677e1163ae7725f59401c9.jpg

I need to finish tidying up the room but it's been a productive weekend :)

On the locomotive front, BLI Big Boy #4023 has returned from a warranty repair in the US. Whilst a lot of the problems were addressed, the derailing problem persists, so will need to think what to do about that; none of the other BLI models have this problem, so it's definitely down to this particular engine...

Edited by benjy14
Re-uploaded images
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your comments Benjy.  I do have other photos of the Sherman and Dale area.  Most of them will eventually appear on my thread, but if you woupd like any of the others PM me with an email address and I'll send them on. I was there in 2005, 12 and 19.

Jamie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick post as I reached another little milestone this evening with a successful test of the prototype Big Boy cassette.

IMG_6161.JPG.1191808b3b6be8a9dd60cc6f5ec666d7.JPG

Above shows that Big Boy #4023 has become the first locomotive to be "on-shed" at Cheyenne :) Constructing the prototype has revealed that I need to make the cassettes in a specific order:

1. Cut the base.
  2. Fit the ModelTech track aligner and track to the base.
  3. Wire track.
  4. Test!
  5. Construct the remainder of the cassette.

I'll be giving a cutting list to my carpenter to cut the bases this week and then I can make a start of fitting the track...

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

Work on the layout over the past few weeks has been concentrating on the trains, optimising train lengths and improving reliability (something I suspect will be a never-ending job!) with jobs such as installing Kadee couplings. I have now settled on a maximum train length of 28 x 40' box cars plus caboose (which works out at around 470cm) for the longer trains, as these will fit into tracks 1 and 2 of the storage yard (or just track 1 if double-headed). I have also commissioned 8 new freight cars. I have shot a new video, available on YouTube, showing Big Boys #4004 and #4017 working through Dale Junction:

As mentioned in the video comments, I think I will need to invest in a new video camera as the (rather old) Panasonic unit I have does not cope very well with indoors lighting. Still, it's not a bad effort and gives a good flavour of what want to recreate with this layout i.e. the twight years of Big Boy operation (and indeed, steam in general) over Sherman Hill.

However, all of this seems rather irrelevant with the horrible news of Gordon S's sudden and unexpected decline in health following his operation. It was Gordon who inspired me to start this thread in the first place and I have followed his Eastwood Town thread with great interest ever since I joined RMweb. I will cross everything that Gordon manages to pull through despite the rather bleak outlook reported on his thread. My thoughts are with him and his family.

• Friendly/supportive 3

34 minutes ago, benjy14 said:

As mentioned in the video comments, I think I will need to invest in a new video camera as the (rather old) Panasonic unit I have does not cope very well with indoors lighting.

Based on stuff online most people seem to just be using their smartphone cameras these days, so you may want to try that first (assuming you have a smartphone, or access to one).

Edited by mdvle
  • Thanks 1