Class 50 sound problem

csvt2004

Hi, I am rather hoping that someone can shed some light onto a problem for me.

I have a Hornby class 50 fitted with an ESU sound decoder Version 255. I have had the loco for some time, at least 10 years. When you press F1 the sound starts and the loco idles. Open the throttle to any setting and the loco just sits there for about 50 seconds and then it sets off.  Once this event is out of the way it behaves normally for the rest of the operating session. Turn the power off and then back on for another session and you have to go through the 50 second wait again. Its a bit annoying. Is there anything I can do to alter this waiting time? Just to add for clarity, it has always done this from day 1.

Richard

I have an ESU 3.5 decoder supplies by SW digital loaded with there Jubilee (LMS) sound file and have the same delay but of about 15 seconds, yes its annoying but when you increase speed setting  to start it allows you to blow the guards whistle and then the driver to acknowledge (prototypical) before moving of, the other way is to set speed step to 1 and then turn on F1 movement straight away and sound.

Would be good to reduce the time delay when sound is switched on.

• Like 1

Hi, I have a Class 37 Coastal sound project on a Loksound v5 with the same type of delay in moving off after the initial F1.  Indeed, also on most of my other suppliers' sound files there is a delay, some longer than others.  It's the usual way sound projects are written, and you can't alter the time sequencing by changing CVs.

It doesn't bother me as it's prototypical.  Real locos wouldn't move off straight away after start up.

If I want to do without a start up, I'll  set the throttle to step 1 (of 128) and then press F1 to trigger the sound after which you can increase speed immediately.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the replies johnd and cravensdmufan. I have just tried the speed step 1 and then F1 and it works a treat. Thank you. I would not mind the delay so much except that I have 3 other 50's with sound and they don't have the delay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csvt2004 said:

Thanks for the replies johnd and cravensdmufan. I have just tried the speed step 1 and then F1 and it works a treat. Thank you. I would not mind the delay so much except that I have 3 other 50's with sound and they don't have the delay. 

Would those other three 50s be TTS? I found that the sound on those is good (when speaker is upgraded) and with good control (after CVs have been adjusted). On TTS diesels you can indeed move the loco more or less straight away after F1. So on mine I usually wait a minute or so! But that's not what you want! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, csvt2004 said:

Actually I have never tried a TTS decoder. Perhaps I ought to. I have 4 class 50's, sound decoders are one each from South West Digital, Howes of Oxford, Legomanbiffo and Digitrains.

Can I ask please - which one of these do you consider the best?

I like Class 50s and I have three fitted with TTS.  But I'm on the lookout for an Eddie Elgar and I fancy getting a different sound project for it.

Well it would be a dead heat between the legomanbiffo and digitrains.  The digitrains one is on Zimo and they are easier to fit a stay alive capacitor. I can lift my Zimo fitted 50 off the track and it keeps going for 10-15 seconds.

• Thanks 1