Mechanical point operating and frog polarity

I know they say there’s no such thing as a stupid question - but this might be pushing it!

I’ve always used Peco point motors but on my new micro layout it seems a bit OTT and considering mechanical operation - piano wire or similar. 
But I can’t work out how to connect the wire to a micro switch to change the frog polarity. I don’t mean how to wire the switch and frog. I mean how do you actually connect the point wire to the switch so both move at the same time?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

if piano wire is under baseboard, simply fit a right angled crank to the wire connected to the points. The end not connected to the wire acts on the microswitch suitably mounted under baseboard next to points. Alternatively connect operating end of piano wire to the toggle of a DPDT switch.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Wire in tube.  Using 0.6/0.7 mm piano wire and styrene tube.  This layout is EM gauge so the shorter throw means the omega loops are needed, may not be necessary in 00.

Drill a 1 mm hole through the slide switch pass the wire through and bend over the end to retain it.  These are double pole switches so one pole set the frog polarity and the other is used to show turnout direction on a mimic diagram.

The switch with two wires is controlling the two halves of a double slip (makes life so much easier in EM to separate the two halves)

P1010603.JPG

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It is necessary to drill the switch lever to take the operating wire.

I arrange things so that the operating wire also operates a microswitch. (The type with a lever -  some have a roller on the end of the lever- these are probably better.)

This sort of thing (first eBay listing - no connection to the seller).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Straight-Hinge-Lever-AC-DC-Micro-Switch-Limit-Switch-V-152-1C25/221119571705?hash=item337bc0e6f9:g:3qUAAOxyNa9SIAtG

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

Wire in tube.  Using 0.6/0.7 mm piano wire and styrene tube.  This layout is EM gauge so the shorter throw means the omega loops are needed, may not be necessary in 00.

Drill a 1 mm hole through the slide switch pass the wire through and bend over the end to retain it...

So much preferable to point motors for yards and similar locations where you to be present at the location to actually see the locos and stock to make the moves. Has all the virtues: reliable, quick to install, cheap.

41 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

Drill a 1 mm hole through the slide switch pass the wire through and bend over the end to retain it.  These are double pole switches so one pole set the frog polarity and the other is used to show turnout direction on a mimic diagram.

The switch with two wires is controlling the two halves of a double slip (makes life so much easier in EM to separate the two halves)

Please explain why EM is different to: 00, H0 or any other gauge.

Cheers

Godders

I think you need to check the facts before making such statements. This is not true in the case of 4-SF (00-SF), which have exactly the same clearances as EM. 
Also if this were true N gauge would be better because the clearances are smaller than either 00 or EM.

The fact of the matter is it doesn't matter what the gauge is from an electrical point of view.

3 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

P1010603.JPG

By some stroke of serendipity, these switches have the same throw as an O gauge peco point.