JMRI Point Problem

Hi All, a bit of a problem with JMRI changing points. I have a Lenz LVZ100 and LH100 setup. The layout I'm building has LS100 accessory decoders with the built in feedback. So, when I change a point with the LH100, one press and the point changes. The LH100 display indicates feedback is being received. So no problem that I can see there.

Now, when I use JMRI PanelPro, I click the point and I can hear the solenoid buzz, but it doesn't change the point. The point icon however, does change. Click a second time and the point changes! If I manually change the feedback microswitch, the icon does show the changed state.

I have checked all the wiring and it is correct. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I need to double click the points and why the feedback shows its changed when it hasn't?

Thanks for your reply Mick. The point motors are Peco PL-10E driving Peco OO Gauge Code 100 points. The motors are mounted on PL-12 bases under the baseboard. The operating bar on the PL-12 activates two micro switches, one to change frog polarity and the other for position feedback wired according to the Lenz LS100 instructions. The motors move freely with no mechanical obstruction.

As I say, there is no problem using the LH100, it all operates as expected. The LH100 indicates it is a feedback device. It is only when using JMRI I have to double click the point to get it to change. This applies to all the points using two LS100's.

• RMweb Gold

When you change a point with the LH100, the pulse duration is for as long as you hold down the button. When you change the turnout with JMRI, I assume the duration is the default set in the LS100 as it is with the LS150. Is this perhaps too short?

Ah, good question! They are set to monitoring, as suggested by JMRI. However, a conflicting piece of JMRI documentation says they should be set to exact! Confusing or what! In any event, it didn't seem to make much difference on either setting.

1 hour ago, RFS said:

When you change a point with the LH100, the pulse duration is for as long as you hold down the button. When you change the turnout with JMRI, I assume the duration is the default set in the LS100 as it is with the LS150. Is this perhaps too short?

This is a good point (no pun intended). I will investigate this tomorrow. Thanks 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Wagpnmaster said:

Hi All, a bit of a problem with JMRI changing points. I have a Lenz LVZ100 and LH100 setup. The layout I'm building has LS100 accessory decoders with the built in feedback. So, when I change a point with the LH100, one press and the point changes. The LH100 display indicates feedback is being received. So no problem that I can see there.

Now, when I use JMRI PanelPro, I click the point and I can hear the solenoid buzz, but it doesn't change the point. The point icon however, does change. Click a second time and the point changes! If I manually change the feedback microswitch, the icon does show the changed state.

I have checked all the wiring and it is correct. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I need to double click the points and why the feedback shows its changed when it hasn't?

Is it perhaps that the JMRI needs to be "inverted"? it might be buzzing and not moving because it is already at the position that JMRI thinks it is moving to.

On 28/06/2020 at 23:46, 96701 said:

Is it perhaps that the JMRI needs to be "inverted"? it might be buzzing and not moving because it is already at the position that JMRI thinks it is moving to.

After a bit of fiddling and investigation, I ended up with one point not performing correctly. So I tried your 'inverting' suggestion and that worked. 

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I can move on to the next bit now, track occupation sensors. Another can of worms no doubt!

• Like 1