• RMweb Gold

My first serious attempt at making a 3mm scale layout was Foxbury which debuted on the exhibition circuit back in 1996 at the first Camrail.

It was exhibited many times over the next 10 years including York and Warley. It was retired and consigned to the attic when it's successor Dunkton Combe was finished. 

Eventually Foxbury was consigned to the local tip (once stripped of buildings etc!)  

Having sold my last layout Chipping Compton and moved house, a railway room was available. Once set up I set about making numerous new buildings for the next project. Some of these can be seen here on the separate RM Web thread "What's on your 3mm workbench". 

I was initially going to name this one "Totleigh in the Wold" after the Jeeves and Wooster novels by P G Wodehouse but for purely sentimental reasons have reused the name of Foxbury.

Although ok at carpentry I opted to buy laser-cut ply boards and after seeing their stand at the last Stafford Exhibition I ordered a couple from Grainge & Hodder and would certainly recommend them (no connection, just a very satisfied customer).

2077761133_FirstBaseboard.jpg.a9b4a22cec89503e084040501203fe47.jpg 

I added backscene boards and fascia from good quality ply and MDF.

The whole board surface was covered in cork sheet and the track laid. I use 3mm society 12mm gauge flexitrack bases and code 80 flat-bottom rail. The point work was made to order by fellow 3mm Society member Hugh Martin. Whilst I'm comfortable with soldering etched kits etc I certainly couldn't come anywhere Hugh's standards when it comes to building turnouts. With the trackwork painted (a horrible job:wild:) I added the backscene, firstly adding a blank one from stout watercolour paper as can be seen in the photo. This not only absorbs any minor imperfections in the surface of the backscene boards but I've found it creates an even better bond for the backscene itself.  In the end I opted for the village scene on the ID backscenes range (ref N203 the N Gauge version). 

You'll see from the photo below that I have opted to operate from the front. Operating at home I will be able to view the layout properly and at exhibitions I will stand in front of the fiddle yard (with a stick for straying fingers?) :devil: It'll be better to speak to the viewing public in my view anyway.

On my last 2 layouts I have used cassettes in the fiddle yard but I am reverting to a sector plate on this one. 

1053229889_layout2.jpg.4d00591693d7f9710b176f7e3c8654cc.jpg

Here is the backscene in place. I definitely recommend using "View Glue" from Deluxe materials as an adhesive for your backscene. Much less mess than wallpaper adhesive and well worth the modest price. :dance_mini:  

509946209_Layout3.jpg.18cd87ebef07e0317d930659cdceae37.jpg

This afternoon I'm ballasting (another chore) and if it all works out ok I'll update you with a picture or two. 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/07/2020 at 18:31, NCB said:

Bob, how did you form the very smooth corners to the backscene?

cheers, Nigel

Sorry Nigel,

Haven't logged in for a while. Easy, just got some triangular wooden section and glued it in place in the corner.  I always glue watercolour paper to the backscene boards first as it allows for any minor surface imperfections and allows a smooth consistant flow in the corners.

Bob.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies for the lack of any updates but I'm pleased to report this is not due to a lack of progress; far from it as you'll see in the photo. Since taking this picture I have improved a few of the trees.

The progress has not been down to lockdown (work has been manic over the last 6 months) but the fact that I very wisely took semi-retirement in January so lots more modelling time!:senile:

20200927_103938.jpg

Edited by 4109
Typo
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...