Marylebone in N Gauge

Marke

Thanks for rotating the photos  - and sorry it just wasn’t obvious to me how to do it.

I choose Marylebone because it’s one of the few London termini thats’ real life size makes its model-able. I was also drawn to its general decrepitness which I am yet to reflect in my model. In fact I have applied a general dose of Network Southeast to lift it from the pure ‘blue grey’ era.

My track plan reflects the pre 1980s resignalling layout although I have added two additional platforms before  Chiltern Railways did this for real in the mid 2000’s.

Mark

• Like 3

Hi Reinder 

The layout was originally designed to fit in a small  ‘box-room’ bedroom but now has a larger home. The main dimensions of the core area as photographed are 6ft by 8ft, with an 8ft extension that accommodates a 13 track storage yard and return loop. I don’t have a fancy ‘templot’ style track plan but I will have a go at photographing a pen and ink  drawing made 30 years ago and loading that to this site  - hope you don’t mind waiting until the weekend. 

Mark

• Like 2

Hello.  Please see attached photo of the track plan (I’ve used the colour version showing power sections as this has photographed better).  The light blue / pink tracks Immediately ‘beyond’ the station form a return loop that sits on a board below the station   - as drawn in the middle of the plan. I have also attached a photo of the storage sidings that aren’t properly captured on the track plan. E3EFC0CB-0CF0-4A09-917E-0B3B1414A165.jpeg.4d07e52aed2878993d07600108d6470a.jpegBA42C740-315C-4484-9F70-FB636F721346.jpeg.111783b1832055d8e1a81b7f3b45c602.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing.   I like the whole concept, but I am particularly impressed with how you’ve blended the scenery Into the photographic backdrop.

And the tracklaying in the station throat is very impressive too!

cheers

Ben A.

• Agree 2

Hi. Really like the layout. Very impressive. A trivial question if I may: where did you get the hydraulic buffer stops from? They look just what my father needs for his layout, but can't seem to find anywhere.

Thanks, Mac.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 21:14, Marke said:

Thanks for the positive feedback - much appreciated 

To Macketty : regarding the hydraulic buffers, they were scratchbuilt using different diameter brass and plastic tubing, wrapped around a super large pin ( I picked up a box of 100 from John Lewis haberdashery dept). Higher res photo of these buffers attached plus a photo of some of the components I still have in my spares box. By the way the NSE ticket booth was also scratchbuilt, from plastic card. 

D51AAED4-94C6-4B40-B65C-654ABC88725D.jpeg

9EC97CD6-9FD4-4656-ACE5-2205AADDED1D.jpeg

Ingenious! I’ve just started a small layout of Bradford Interchange in N and was wondering how to model its hydraulic buffers. Problem solved.

Stunning layout overall and tons of atmosphere.

Sorry for the slow response Marke. Thanks for the reply. I'll need to see if  i can make some like yours then for dad! He's 87 and even in his younger days (when his eyesight wasn't so bad) he was no great scratchbuilder, so it's either straight out of the box or I make it!

Mac

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 21:14, Marke said:

Thanks for the positive feedback - much appreciated 

To Macketty : regarding the hydraulic buffers, they were scratchbuilt using different diameter brass and plastic tubing, wrapped around a super large pin ( I picked up a box of 100 from John Lewis haberdashery dept). Higher res photo of these buffers attached plus a photo of some of the components I still have in my spares box. By the way the NSE ticket booth was also scratchbuilt, from plastic card. 

D51AAED4-94C6-4B40-B65C-654ABC88725D.jpeg

9EC97CD6-9FD4-4656-ACE5-2205AADDED1D.jpeg

Excellent Marke. It’s a really interesting layout and I love those hydraulic buffers.

• 1 year later...