Identification of a mystery outside framed engine

I recently found this photo of a chassis of a mystery outside framed engine inside a shed at Armley Mill Museum, in Leeds. As someone who prefers outside framed engines, I tried for quite a while too find something out about it, but failed. This was mostly scrolling through the engines at Armley Mill, which is quite extensive, but they have a yard full of old stuff that there aren't many photos of. So your comments and thoughts would be appreciated. 

image.png.05f389c19c17706c90dc20783bd93ecf.png

• RMweb Gold

According to a flickriver page I found with another photo of the frame its 'The cut-down frames, motion and four-coupled wheels from Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway steam locomotive 34 (later GWR 252)'

link below

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/14581588@N05/4735888906/

apparently it used to be an 0-6-0 but was cut down to be an engineering model when the loco was scrapped

Edited by Adam FW
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

It was used to teach apprentices how Joys valve gear worked. It was mostly obsolete on the GWR at the time, but some engines still had it.

https://railwaywondersoftheworld.com/valvegears2.html

Then it was dumped at the back of Oxley shed for a few years. Can't remember where it was before it went to Leeds. Possibly the NRM.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It was used to teach apprentices how Joys valve gear worked. It was mostly obsolete on the GWR at the time, but some engines still had it.

https://railwaywondersoftheworld.com/valvegears2.html

Then it was dumped at the back of Oxley shed for a few years. Can't remember where it was before it went to Leeds. Possibly the NRM.

Jason

Strange they chose something where the valve gear was so enclosed, instead of something external so the pupils could see the "full picture", instead of the just the top 1/3.

3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

The closest thing I found is this, quite nice.

She didn't look remotely like that by the end of her working days though, with a small cab and a GWR boiler.There's a photo in RCTS volume 3, no C65.

Edited by JimC
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Are there pictures on the web?

I didn't find one. Picture something like an Armstrong goods with the dome on the front ring, and the cab off GNR single no 1.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

This is an amazing opportunity for a new build, to fill a significant gap in the National Collection. One thing we don't have in the UK is a double-framed goods. A very much forgotten but important survivor. Years since I saw it but from memory there are driving and leading coupled wheels, 3 x outside cranks, most of the motion and the frames as far back as the firebox throat plate. Can't remember if the cylinders had been part-sectioned. So much that is there as a head start.