Hornby Fowler 4P (R.055?) pickups

I am trying to reassemble the remains of my old Fowler 4P no.42308, which I believe is R.055. From the service sheet it appears that there are contacts which clip into the sides of the chassis. I can't see anything on the model that would suggest how to do this. Does anybody have experience (and preferably photographs) of how this works?

Thanks in advance.

Some of that era chassis had a plastic pickup mounting which clipped into channels in the mazak chassis with a couple of pairs of lugs. They didn't carry power.  The Fowler had several varieties of chassis so it's feasible yours has parts from different incompatible vintages.

It shares a coupled wheelbase with Thomas and the Jinties so probably shares the same pickups as contemporary iterations of these 0-6-0s 

If you look to the bottom of the spares sheet, part no. L5268 is a plastic overlay featuring some moulded on details such as brakes, etc. It also has 2 vertical slots adjacent to the front and rear wheels. these are intended at accept the pick up wipers and to hold them spaced away from the metal chassis.

Hope this helps

Jim

1 hour ago, DavidCBroad said:

Some of that era chassis had a plastic pickup mounting which clipped into channels in the mazak chassis with a couple of pairs of lugs. They didn't carry power.  The Fowler had several varieties of chassis so it's feasible yours has parts from different incompatible vintages.

It shares a coupled wheelbase with Thomas and the Jinties so probably shares the same pickups as contemporary iterations of these 0-6-0s 

I've found them now. I don't know whether its what you were referring to but there were a pair of clips on the lower (plastic) chassis which I had assumed were part of the way the plastic and metal chassis parts were clipped together. I've managed to insert the pickups and connect them to the motor. The electrical side is now working.

It's one formerly working model which has been out of use for a long time due to a broken right hand valve gear and sticking driving wheels (which turned out to be the pin connecting the broken valve gear to the central driving wheel, which had moved out of position and was catching on the chassis). I just need to find a replacement for the X1282 valve gear (I can only find one, and that's from a slightly suspicious ebay seller) and then it should be ready to go.